300 Meter Prone On-Line Event and Custom Stock Question

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

B Lafferty

300 Meter Prone On-Line Event and Custom Stock Question

Post by B Lafferty »

I've just decided to get into this discipline, albeit on a budget level for the moment. Cost is something of a issue. I began competitive shooting as a 12 year old back in 1961 with 50ft small bore (still have my Mossberg 144LS). I've gotten NetCompetitor to add a monthly 300 meter event which will report result to US Shooting for those who are members.

Custom Stock Question:
I've purchased a LH Ruger American Standard Centerfire in .223Rem. The rifle itself is fairly accurate, but the stock is an awful synthetic that helps keeps the cost down. I've put Centra sights on it and extended the lop to where it "fits." I'm considering buying a semi-custom stock from Boyds https://www.boydsgunstocks.com/product-configurator/
The model is the At-one with a cheek riser and an add on adjustable butt plate and rail for sling and hand stop. Cost will be just under $250.
Does anyone have experience dealing with Boyds or another stock manufacturer to recommend? Thanks in advance.
"No mud; no Lotus."-- Thich Nhat Hanh
ywaltzucanrknrl

Re: 300 Meter Prone On-Line Event and Custom Stock Question

Post by ywaltzucanrknrl »

I've purchased stocks from both Boyd's and Stocky's. Know what you are buying and I don't think you will be disappointed. The wood laminated stocks I've purchased from Boyd's had some value to me---easy to fit, functional, price was right and I've had no issues with them. A friend just purchased a stock like you are considering from Boyd's and I looked it over and I think it is a good value for the money---it is a nice looking stock and the adjustable features are nice and appear well designed.

I'm curious about the 300 meter match. Is it ran as a postal or?
B Lafferty

Re: 300 Meter Prone On-Line Event and Custom Stock Question

Post by B Lafferty »

ywaltzucanrknrl wrote:I've purchased stocks from both Boyd's and Stocky's. Know what you are buying and I don't think you will be disappointed. The wood laminated stocks I've purchased from Boyd's had some value to me---easy to fit, functional, price was right and I've had no issues with them. A friend just purchased a stock like you are considering from Boyd's and I looked it over and I think it is a good value for the money---it is a nice looking stock and the adjustable features are nice and appear well designed.

I'm curious about the 300 meter match. Is it ran as a postal or?
Thank you for the information. It's run as a "postal" on what I would call a semi-honor system. It costs three dollars for each monthly match, nine if you want your score also sent to US Shooting. You enter your scores on line by the end of each month and must retain the targets, I think for thirty days, in the event of a protest.
"No mud; no Lotus."-- Thich Nhat Hanh