Question about Irritation Eyes during competition

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Ali zafar

Question about Irritation Eyes during competition

Post by Ali zafar »

Hi,,this Ali. I'm doing Air-rifle and small bore rifle shooting last 6 years. My Master eye is -1.5 (90° Axis) weak. I'm using Shooting glasses and insert a -1.75 multicoat lens (.25 additional),,bUT when I start match,,my front sight get Blurred and I can't see my front sight clearly. The water is getting out from my eyes and too much irritation in eyes, even I can't focus for a single second. Can you plz help me what can I do? What about the MEC Tears Again spray? Or what kinda lense i use for shooting ?For this reason I looses many matches. Kindly help me to out of this. Thank you
Ali
groverdog1

Re: Question about Irritation Eyes during competition

Post by groverdog1 »

I have a -7.0 correction using a contact lens. To see the front sight clearly, I use a -6.50 contact lens. The net +.50 correction enables me to see the front sight more clearly. If you, as you suggest, have over-powered your aiming eye correction from -1.50 to -1.75, that will make the front sight more difficult to see clearly.

I cannot comment on your allergies or cause for watery eyes. I have to take special care that I am hydrated well as the first thing to be affected if not is the contact lens/eye compatibility.

mark
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

Ali zafar wrote:Hi,,this Ali. I'm doing Air-rifle and small bore rifle shooting last 6 years. My Master eye is -1.5 (90° Axis) weak. I'm using Shooting glasses and insert a -1.75 multicoat lens (.25 additional),,bUT when I start match,,my front sight get Blurred and I can't see my front sight clearly. The water is getting out from my eyes and too much irritation in eyes, even I can't focus for a single second. Can you plz help me what can I do? What about the MEC Tears Again spray? Or what kinda lense i use for shooting ?For this reason I looses many matches. Kindly help me to out of this. Thank you
Ali
Ali,

Tears again spray will help with dry or tired eyes, say if you spend the day in an office using a computer. Rather than buy the MEC product, I'd look for a cheaper alternative from a chemist/drug store.

Secondly your prescription seems odd. Normally for rifle a lens is distance +.0.5. For you that's - 1.5 +.5 = -1.0. Your - - 1.75 puts your focus really really close, so I'm not surprised your eyes hurt. - 1.75 would be the shooting lens for a - 2.25 prescription.
Star7

Post by Star7 »

I agree with the above. You have to include the (-) sign when adding 0.5. I add .5 for rifle and .75 for pistol. This takes my -1.5 to -1.0 or -0.75 respectively.

Before a match soaking your eyes with a warm wet towel may help as well.
GaryN

Post by GaryN »

When my eyes start to water, it is usually allergic reaction to something in the air.
If it is allergy, you need to see an allergy doc.
But you also need to make sure that the allergy med does not get you disqualified.

When you are shooting sb rifle, you can use a cap with visor and blinders to block/reduce the air flow from wind or ventilation from hitting your eyes.
40xguy

Post by 40xguy »

For what it's worth, here is my thought.... measure the distance from your rear sight to the front sight. when you have your eye exam, ask the doctor what the prescription is for that distance. Now, when you're shooting, look at the front sight!! ps: many of the drops that are used to relieve allergy eyes are really "vaso-constrictors," meaning they are meant to constrict the blood vessels in your eyes in an effort to keep the blood from being visible in your eye. this, in my opinion, is counter-productive. Therefore, before using any medicine, do your homework!
Hammer to shape, file to fit, paint to match...
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

40xguy wrote:For what it's worth, here is my thought.... measure the distance from your rear sight to the front sight. when you have your eye exam, ask the doctor what the prescription is for that distance. Now, when you're shooting, look at the front sight!
Why directly on the foresight, and not, as is usual for any knowledgeable optician, slightly ahead, so the target is clearer.
Ali zafar

Post by Ali zafar »

Thank you for your response, ,
Ohh man, that's mean I inserted a wrong lense. My master eye is -1.5 ( -2.00 cylindrical, +0.25 spherical,90°axis),,mean I'm adding +0.25 or +0.5 spherical?
Thank you for guide me.
And tell me one thing ,what about the contact lense?
And what size of Front sight you advice me? Now I'm using 3.8mm natural color Anchutz glass sight is it ok? Or try different color or size?
Last edited by Ali zafar on Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

Ali,

Some shooters use contacts. You could wear contacts and have a simple +0.5 lens in glasses/on the rearsight for shooting. The disadvantage of contacts, is that the lens can move.

A 3.8mm front insert is a good starting choice for 50m prone. That's on a standard 660-690mm barrel. I'd recommend a larger aperture if you have a long extension tube on the barrel (like say a 54.30), so the gap between the target and aperture is large enough. Apertures for standing and Kneeling are often larger than 3.8mm, again so the target stays inside as you aim.
NMC_EXP

Post by NMC_EXP »

Tim S wrote:
40xguy wrote:For what it's worth, here is my thought.... measure the distance from your rear sight to the front sight. when you have your eye exam, ask the doctor what the prescription is for that distance. Now, when you're shooting, look at the front sight!
Why directly on the foresight, and not, as is usual for any knowledgeable optician, slightly ahead, so the target is clearer.
I believe doing that would cause the target to be excessively blurred.

Per Art Neergaard the optimum focal distance is twice the distance from the eye to the front sight. Optically, this puts the focal point half way between the front sight and optical infinity (the target). In most cases this means adding +0.5 diopter to your normal distance correction.

Hopefully Art will correct me if I'm wrong.
Ali zafar

Post by Ali zafar »

NMC_EXP wrote:
Tim S wrote:
I believe doing that would cause the target to be excessively blurred.

Per Art Neergaard the optimum focal distance is twice the distance from the eye to the front sight. Optically, this puts the focal point half way between the front sight and optical infinity (the target). In most cases this means adding +0.5 diopter to your normal distance correction.

Hopefully Art will correct me if I'm wrong.
Yes you are right... before 3 days I also mailed to Art Neergaard, he gave me the same calculation,and suggest me the +0.50 Spherical.
Thanks for your response