.22 rifle shoots high, riser block on front sight?

old, good http://www.midcoast.com/~pilkguns/bbs/

Moderators: rexifelis, pilkguns

Rod G.

.22 rifle shoots high, riser block on front sight?

Post by Rod G. »

Hi All,
Just took possession of a very nice FWB 2600 standard rifle. I thought I'd rather use the Gehmann sights off my last rifle. Trouble is, it's shooting 4 1/2 inches high with the rear turned all the way down. Just can't seem to get my head around this problem. Major "brain fart" goin' on. Will a normal riser block, i.e. 4mm, be enough to compensate?
Also any thoughts on torque setting for the action screws? I've got them set at 5NM on the Anschutz wrench.
Tried 3 lots of ammo with no groups to write home about yet!
Any thoughts apprectiated,
Rod G.
lowkey-at-autobahn.mb.ca.44124.0
John

Re: .22 rifle shoots high, riser block on front sight?

Post by John »

Can't help on the torque, but if you know the sight radius and the range, you (or I) can calculate the sight adjustment required.

Joacim

Post by Joacim »

Two very obvious questions:
Do you have raiser blocks on any of the sights?
Is the front sight set at the same height as the rear sights?
Joacim
Rod G.

Post by Rod G. »

Thanks for the replies. The front and rear sights are at the same elevation (no risers front or rear).
The sight radius is 32 inches. I'm attempting to sight-in for ISSF 50M prone/3P.
I've never had this problem using aftermarket sights. This Gehmann 595 rear sights appears similiar in dimension to all other sights but I haven't taken my micrometer to it yet.
It was lacking some range on my previous gun, but would move the POI within the black at least.
If I can find a front riser in my local market will it be enough?
Rod
lowkey-at-autobahn.mb.ca.44131.44128
DaveA

Post by DaveA »

By my ( quick) Math you have a ratio of approx 59.4;1 between your front sight & target to the front sight and rear. . (50Mx38"/M ) divided by 32") I.e. You would have to lower your rear sight one mm to get a 59.4MM POI change. Sounds like you'd have to lower your rear sight by another 2MM to get you comfortable. I'd guess a 4 MM front sight height increase would fix your problem nicely and give you room to adjust. ( I forget the amount of up/down adjustment in your rear sight.)
hth
hth
For every : Thanks for the replies. The front and rear sights are at the same elevation (no risers front or rear).
: The sight radius is 32 inches. I'm attempting to sight-in for ISSF 50M prone/3P.
: I've never had this problem using aftermarket sights. This Gehmann 595 rear sights appears similiar in dimension to all other sights but I haven't taken my micrometer to it yet.
: It was lacking some range on my previous gun, but would move the POI within the black at least.
: If I can find a front riser in my local market will it be enough?
: Rod

Rod G.

Post by Rod G. »

: Thanks Dave,
Thats an interesting formula. I think this Gehmann rear sight has a lot of vertical adjustment, that it may favor a full bore rifle. I'll try the front riser and see what happens.
Thanks again,
Rod G.

: By my ( quick) Math you have a ratio of approx 59.4;1 between your front sight & target to the front sight and rear. . (50Mx38"/M ) divided by 32") I.e. You would have to lower your rear sight one mm to get a 59.4MM POI change. Sounds like you'd have to lower your rear sight by another 2MM to get you comfortable. I'd guess a 4 MM front sight height increase would fix your problem nicely and give you room to adjust. ( I forget the amount of up/down adjustment in your rear sight.)
: hth
: hth
: For every : Thanks for the replies. The front and rear sights are at the same elevation (no risers front or rear).
: : The sight radius is 32 inches. I'm attempting to sight-in for ISSF 50M prone/3P.
: : I've never had this problem using aftermarket sights. This Gehmann 595 rear sights appears similiar in dimension to all other sights but I haven't taken my micrometer to it yet.
: : It was lacking some range on my previous gun, but would move the POI within the black at least.
: : If I can find a front riser in my local market will it be enough?
: : Rod

lowkey-at-autobahn.mb.ca.44164.44151