Hammerli SP20 not ejecting correctly

old, good http://www.midcoast.com/~pilkguns/bbs/

Moderators: rexifelis, pilkguns

Paul

Hammerli SP20 not ejecting correctly

Post by Paul »

I have a new SP20 in .32 cal that I am having problems with.
I thought I was having feeding problems, but it looks more like an ejection problem.
I have tried Fiocchi, Lapua S&B factory ammo and several different people's reloads with the same results.
The chamber does not appear tight, as when I try to load a fired round, it still slides in fine.
On the round extraction, it looks like the ejector catch lets go of the round before it hits the magazine mounted ejector.
I have tried playing with the magazines, and have also tried adjusting the grip to gun spacing by inserting washers. I also played with the buffer adjustment and varying amounts of grease, down to zero, just in case too much grease was causing a slow extraction.
Not what I expected from this gun. Can you tell me what I am doing wrong? Any help would be most appreciated.
paul.ruppert-at-utoronto.ca.44106.0
James White

Re: Hammerli SP20 not ejecting correctly

Post by James White »

Had a similar problem with one of my SP-20s. Turned out to be a dirty extractor. Grime had hardened into rock. Took a dental pick even after soaking it in Break Free.
If the gun is new you might have a weak extractor spring or the extractor face may not have the correct geometry.
Once I got my problems worked out (only took 30 min once identified) the gun shot and shoots great. Any missing the 10 ring at 50 yds is my fault.
Best wishes and keepem in the 10 ring.
JW
: I have a new SP20 in .32 cal that I am having problems with.
: I thought I was having feeding problems, but it looks more like an ejection problem.
: I have tried Fiocchi, Lapua S&B factory ammo and several different people's reloads with the same results.
: The chamber does not appear tight, as when I try to load a fired round, it still slides in fine.
: On the round extraction, it looks like the ejector catch lets go of the round before it hits the magazine mounted ejector.
: I have tried playing with the magazines, and have also tried adjusting the grip to gun spacing by inserting washers. I also played with the buffer adjustment and varying amounts of grease, down to zero, just in case too much grease was causing a slow extraction.
: Not what I expected from this gun. Can you tell me what I am doing wrong? Any help would be most appreciated.

kormedic01-at-yahoo.com.44112.44106
Paul

Ah, I think that's it

Post by Paul »

Thanks for the clue. Looking carefully at the extractor, it does not hold the round tight to the breech face. As soon as the round is free of the chamber, it basically drops the round and the next round from the mag springs up to -sometimes- eject the spent case.
Looks like something for the dealer to fix. I just don't want to send it back to Switzerland.
Thanks again for your help.
Paul
paul.ruppert-at-utoronto.ca.44169.44112