Some basic questions

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
sal6781

Some basic questions

Post by sal6781 »

Does trigger position affect shots ? For instance, slanted to right instead of straight back ?
Handle ? Should my hold be tight, loose, or just snug ? How do I know if my handle fits ?
When I pull the trigger, should the only sensation I feel be the trigger ? One person told me I should feel the trigger and the thumb. Sometimes when it seems I have gotten off a perfect shot , it's not even close.
40xguy

Re: Some basic questions

Post by 40xguy »

In the words of one of my very knowledgeable instructors: "Do whatever works!" There is no "one way fits all."
Hammer to shape, file to fit, paint to match...
Coolmeester

Post by Coolmeester »

sal6781 wrote:Does trigger position affect shots ? For instance, slanted to right instead of straight back ?
Handle ? Should my hold be tight, loose, or just snug ? How do I know if my handle fits ?
When I pull the trigger, should the only sensation I feel be the trigger ? One person told me I should feel the trigger and the thumb. Sometimes when it seems I have gotten off a perfect shot , it's not even close.
Trigger position will affect to the shots, read a book about pistol shooting.

Tight or loose or something between. With every grip you can shoot well. Experiment.

Thumb shouldn't have any role in your triggering.
Center-fire pistol
Standard pistol
Rapid fire pistol
Free pistol
Air pistol
spektr

Post by spektr »

+1 on the thumb not doing good things. i even have added a tiny piece of soft foam rubber to my grip to remind my thumb to stay out of the way...... When I am shooting well , I cant tell you exactly what is happening because it is more a subconcious act. The gun just gos off without thinking when its lined up. Dry fire and it will come together...
saran

Post by saran »

Like me, you look to be on then way of the shooting enlightment path, grasshopper...

Adjust the trigger shoe to be perpendicular to the barrel axis and care about squeezing it gently and appliying no lateral force. There is a sweet spot on the longitudinal trigger adjustment that favours that.

The thumb is an primate simian evolutionary trace that is perfectly tailored to grab tree branches and also to move your shots inward inadvertently. You should ou foster unconscius muscle control to avoid contracting its flexors while actuating only the trigger finger.

I am less than halfway the Noble Eightfold Air Pistol Buddha path, but I could suggest you to avoid any conscious pressure on the grip. What sometimes served me well is to dry fire with closed eyes and paying attention only to smooth gripping. It is usually the surest way to perform trigger release without inadvertently messing with the sight picture.

But of course you will find tons of more experienced advice around here.