Question about the Steyr LP10 EVO

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
CamelNL

Question about the Steyr LP10 EVO

Post by CamelNL »

I'm planning to buy a LP10 EVO this week. But i'm not sure wich version i want. There is a normal version and a compact. Is there a reason to go for the compact version and what are the cons?

Also if anyone has some alternatives to look at im also intrested.

Greetings,

Camel.
Rover

Re: Question about the Steyr LP10 EVO

Post by Rover »

"Is there a reason to go for the compact version?"

Yeah....Pilkington said so.
TenMetrePeter

Post by TenMetrePeter »

Junior shooters, some ladies, and the elderly might benefit from a lighter pistol is all.
Rover

Post by Rover »

TenMetrePeter wrote:Junior shooters, some ladies, and the elderly might benefit from a lighter pistol is all.
You neglected to mention pathetic scrawny girly-men with a "man bun."

Actually, some think the shorter sight radius is beneficial. Weight seems not to be a big factor.
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

Buy the long pistol and have the dealer exchange ( no cost ) one long cylinder for a compact cylinder. This gives more flexibility in setup and future change.
northpaw

Post by northpaw »

deadeyedick wrote:Buy the long pistol and have the dealer exchange ( no cost ) one long cylinder for a compact cylinder. This gives more flexibility in setup and future change.
Flexibility the other way around: Buy the compact pistol and a have the dealer exchange one short cylinder for a longer cylinder.
Elmas

Post by Elmas »

Rover wrote:
TenMetrePeter wrote:
Actually, some think the shorter sight radius is beneficial. Weight seems not to be a big factor.
Weight certainly is a factor for young and physically challenged shooters who find sixty shots with a heavier pistol taxing , now that the ladies shoot sixty shot matches. Although a lot of the modern pistols are under 1 kilogram ; the standard models ]. My aged Feinwerkbau Model 2 is steel with a heavy steel CO2 cylinder I think over 1.5 Kgms.

Question is ; a short sight radius may make the sights easier to align , but won't this detract from accuracy ?

elmas
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

For a given angular wobble on the shooters part, the longer the radius to the front sight, the more the front sight will move off axis. Even though the shot will go in the same place, some shooters find the "extra" motion distracting, especially beginners. Others find that (with training), they can use the extra length to align the sights more accurately. That is why free pistols have long sight radii, and some are/were available with extendable sights.

I'm guessing that this the reason Pilkington insisted on selling the compact version to new owners, with the option to upgrade to the full size model once they really got the hang of it. If they are used to shooting a semi-auto .22 with a short sight radius, people can get freaked out when they see how much the front sight appears to move. They get frustrated, and it can also encourage poor triggering if they try to "catch" the sights as they swing past the bullseye.

Having more mass (extra barrel & cylinder length) forward also increases the moment of inertia (resistance to angular wobble) of the pistol. You can add weights to a compact version, but you need some sort of extension to move it past the end of the barrel to get the equivalent improvement.

I haven't studied the videos carefully, but nobody I've seen appears to shoot a compact model at the major championships.