kinda dumb question

old, good http://www.midcoast.com/~pilkguns/bbs/

Moderators: rexifelis, pilkguns

Todd

kinda dumb question

Post by Todd »

can anyone tell me what "muzzle flip" is and then how does a muzzle break work then. I have asked my coach (who has only done pistols not airs) and said hes never heard of it! is this something only in the airgun world?
twest-at-sherbtel.net.44002.0
David

muzzle flip

Post by David »

muzzle flip is recoil that tries to rotate the gun about some axis (usually your wrist or grip). This causes the bullet to go high on target. A break takes some of the gas pushing the bullet out the barrel and vents it upward. This jet stream causes a small downward force on the barrel. Usually the break is near the end of the barrel, so the moment arm is large, greatly multiplying the small jet forces. Result: less muzzle flip. Works best with high pressure (or velocity) loads, but works at air gun pressures also.
Steve Swartz

Used to be called a "Brake" not "Break" minor nit (nt)

Post by Steve Swartz »

: muzzle flip is recoil that tries to rotate the gun about some axis (usually your wrist or grip). This causes the bullet to go high on target. A break takes some of the gas pushing the bullet out the barrel and vents it upward. This jet stream causes a small downward force on the barrel. Usually the break is near the end of the barrel, so the moment arm is large, greatly multiplying the small jet forces. Result: less muzzle flip. Works best with high pressure (or velocity) loads, but works at air gun pressures also.

leslieswartz-at-erinet.com.44019.44004
Raymac

Re: kinda dumb question

Post by Raymac »

Here is another version of "muzzle flip" [muzzle jump is the same thing] and the methods used to compensate for it......
http://www.airgunsonly.com/tech/recoil2.htm

mcdougall.imports-at-shaw.ca.44020.44002
Chris L in NC

Flips and brakes and compensators (oh my)

Post by Chris L in NC »

: can anyone tell me what "muzzle flip" is and then how does a muzzle break work then. I have asked my coach (who has only done pistols not airs) and said hes never heard of it! is this something only in the airgun world?
Probably, the coach didn't understand the question. As was already explained, muzzle flip is something that happens every time you fire a pistol, or at least the pistol tries to flip. Good technique keeps actual muzzle movement to a minimum.
Muzzle brakes (the correct spelling, because it acts as a "brake" on movement and does not "break" anything) are quite common on artillery pieces. I had a Remington 700 in .300 Weatherby Mag once, which is close to an artillery piece, and the muzzle brake on that one reduced recoil to the level of an AR-15. The main disadvantage to muzzle braking is the increased noise (annoys others on the firing line) and muzzle flash (mostly applies to infantry combat).
Then there are compensators, which oppose vertical movement or flip. Early Thompson submachine guns are a good example of these. In pistols, compensation usually means holes or ports on top of the barrel to reduce flip. Currently, rapid fire pistols may have them but standard pistols may not. However, SPs are allowed internal recoil reducers, like on the GSP Expert.
Compensator also seems to cover the carefully designed ports near the muzzles of newer air pistols and free pistols. These don't necessarily reduce recoil but they do smooth out the escaping propellant gas or air so as not to disturb the projectile. My Steyr LP10 has both this type of compensator AND ports in the barrel AND an internal recoil reducer, which adds up to almost no recoil or flip.
chrisatty-at-hotmail.com.44021.44002