Pellets....

old, good http://www.midcoast.com/~pilkguns/bbs/

Moderators: rexifelis, pilkguns

Bill Poole

Pellets....

Post by Bill Poole »

OK, that post about CC's HN's not being as good as HN's HN... got me wondering....
I know I can't hold that new BB gun I just as tight as an old silver dollar, let alone a dime, but pellets all cost almost the same and next to nothing... (compared to Sierra Matchkings and Varget) so i might as well use the absolute best...
But what is the best?
And what weight should one use? apparently there are at least 2 weights, i presume lighter for pistol (CC's catalog the HN's section even says that) and heavier for rifle but is that a hard and fast rule? or do you test both and use what's best?
And then there's diameter... seems like they are available in several sizes... again is there a general rule?, or do we have to buy some of each and test them until we find what one's gun likes
How about LOT NUMBER?? (like smallbore ammo!) if HN 4.49mm, 0.51gr works this week, NEXT time I buy some will they still be optimum for my gun?
R10 is listed in the catalog in 100rd 'match packs" (MUCH more expensive) or 500rd tins.... is there really an advantage to the individualy separated pellets?
Anyone wanna offer their thoughts on the subject?
Poole
http://arizona.rifleshooting.com/

bill-at-poole.com.43894.0
Michael Ray

Re: Pellets....

Post by Michael Ray »

: But what is the best?
H&N, R-10, Vogel, etc
: And what weight should one use? apparently there are at least 2 weights, i presume lighter for pistol (CC's catalog the HN's section even says that) and heavier for rifle but is that a hard and fast rule? or do you test both and use what's best?
If you're good enough to be worrying about this and diameter, you should be testing both weights and all diameters in each airgun. I wouldn't worry about lots unless your World Cup level. It's nowhere near as bad as smallbore.
Jack

Post by Jack »

What is the best: Whatever your rifle likes.
What weight: Yes the heavier ones are typically for rifle, but i've shot pistol pellets that shoot great in my air rifle.
Diameter: Whatever your rifle likes, 4.50 seems to be the most popular i've noticed.
Match packs: Nope, only advantages to match packs is that they come in nice little rows, No difference in pellets.
tck

Post by tck »

Hi Bill,
Hope to see you next time when you visit Asia.
Most principles for shooting, rifling can be applied on AP, AR, only the factors change from bullet weight, shape, primer, powder, powder weight to less vairables, pellet wieght, diameter and velocity (air preasure).
The basic rule is the popular brands have better consistancy and QC so that their performances will nt vary so much on your equipment.
When I first own my AP, I really have tried different brands of pellets and all the sizes and weights that I could get hold of on a vice. The results is quite interesting. The problem is all manufacturers will use only one supplier of pellets so that on the test target, they will use provide information of one type of pellet.
On the Target talk archieve, there are some articles on pellet testing and one regular contributor here, Mako also had done a test on pellet groupings. If you cannot find his article, try to post here and mostly likely, he will send you a copy of his test results.