fiber optic sights

old, good http://www.midcoast.com/~pilkguns/bbs/

Moderators: rexifelis, pilkguns

1 Lt Wayne Stiles

fiber optic sights

Post by 1 Lt Wayne Stiles »

Looking for some feedback, is it legal to use fiber optics as sights on a air pistol for competition. When I say fiber optics, I am talking about the type used on top of shotguns or with archery sights. Thank you for your time.

wayne.stiles-at-kunsan.af.mil.43755.0
David Levene

Re: fiber optic sights

Post by David Levene »

: Looking for some feedback, is it legal to use fiber optics as sights on a air pistol for competition. When I say fiber optics, I am talking about the type used on top of shotguns or with archery sights. Thank you for your time.
If you are talking about ISSF matches then rule 8.4.2.3 starts:-
"Only open sights are allowed."
dalevene-at-blueyonder.co.uk.43760.43755
Spencer C

Re: fiber optic sights - disagree with David..., but why?

Post by Spencer C »

If you are talking about the type of sight which 'collects light' to give an illuminated front sight, this would be OK for ISSF.
Similar types of effects utilising various plastics and glass materials, luminous dots, etc. predate fibre optics and have been available as front sights for many years. They have all been tried and eventually consigned to the waste bin.
However, why would you want to use a fibre optic front sight for Air Pistol?
The same amount of money spent on ammunition (or better, some quality coaching) will give a better and permanent improvement in your scores!
: Looking for some feedback, is it legal to use fiber optics as sights on a air pistol for competition. When I say fiber optics, I am talking about the type used on top of shotguns or with archery sights. Thank you for your time.

David Levene

Re: fiber optic sights - disagree with David..., but why?

Post by David Levene »

: If you are talking about the type of sight which 'collects light' to give an illuminated front sight, this would be OK for ISSF.
If this is the type of sight referred to then I mis-understood the question and agree that they are OK.

dalevene-at-blueyonder.co.uk.43767.43762
Questor

I like fiber optic sights, but not for target shooting

Post by Questor »

Fiber optic sights are excellent in low-light hunting situations. But a scope is better in those conditions.
Bill177

Post by Bill177 »

Are you perhaps refering to the sights with green plastic dots - two on the rear and one on the front - as found on some of the very cheap Co2 airpistols? I have often wondered about these sights myself.
airgun-at-despammed.com.43784.43760
scott

Post by scott »

Several top US shooters use a fiber optic insert in the front sight blade. John McNally, 5 time US Olympian uses a piece of colored monofilament fishing line on top of his blade for RFP. Has for years.
I use a half round lime green insert for my RFP blade, and am tinkering with an even brighter version for indoors.
If you use a six or sub-six hold, it may not be much help, but if you use a center hold I think it might be good for any of the precision events.
We tend to be bound by tradition, because that's the way it's always been done. Try out some inserts and see what they do for your scores. Brownells is a good source.
Scott

submoa-at-aol.com.43888.43755