Morini CM84E Free Pistol Battery Life

old, good http://www.midcoast.com/~pilkguns/bbs/

Moderators: rexifelis, pilkguns

Mark

Morini CM84E Free Pistol Battery Life

Post by Mark »

I'm seriously considering adding a new horse to my free pistol stable. This time it's a Morini CM84E. This is a brand new unit which utilizes the 15V lithium battery. I'm curious to know from the experience of other shooters how long I should reasonably expect the battery to last. Please share your experiences both with regard to the number of rounds one can fire on a single battery, as well as any thoughts/comments you might have on shelf/storage life of the battery. These little devils are expensive and not so easy to find, so I'm trying to figure out how large a stockpile to build up, without wasting a bunch because I've had them stored too long. As always, any and all information you wish to share would be greatly appreciated.

Mark.
fred

Re: Morini CM84E Free Pistol Battery Life

Post by fred »

Mark,
I have been able to find only carbon or alkaline 15V batteries. Would you please supply info about the lithium battery you refer to? Thanks.

: I'm seriously considering adding a new horse to my free pistol stable. This time it's a Morini CM84E. This is a brand new unit which utilizes the 15V lithium battery. I'm curious to know from the experience of other shooters how long I should reasonably expect the battery to last. Please share your experiences both with regard to the number of rounds one can fire on a single battery, as well as any thoughts/comments you might have on shelf/storage life of the battery. These little devils are expensive and not so easy to find, so I'm trying to figure out how large a stockpile to build up, without wasting a bunch because I've had them stored too long. As always, any and all information you wish to share would be greatly appreciated.
:
: Mark.

frbauer-at-msn.com.43723.43718
Brian

Post by Brian »

While my experience with it is minimal, I believe its a really nice gun. Good blance, smoth trigger and fairly light. I'd conisder it a worth addition to your current stable of free pistols.
So why don't you but, as I'd like to try it Thursday :)
Take care
Brian
: I'm seriously considering adding a new horse to my free pistol stable. This time it's a Morini CM84E. This is a brand new unit which utilizes the 15V lithium battery. I'm curious to know from the experience of other shooters how long I should reasonably expect the battery to last. Please share your experiences both with regard to the number of rounds one can fire on a single battery, as well as any thoughts/comments you might have on shelf/storage life of the battery. These little devils are expensive and not so easy to find, so I'm trying to figure out how large a stockpile to build up, without wasting a bunch because I've had them stored too long. As always, any and all information you wish to share would be greatly appreciated.
:
: Mark.

blagroix-at-rogers.com.43736.43718
David M

Post by David M »

The battery in the Free pistol for me lasts 6-8 months with the pistol used 2-4 times a week for 80 to 100 rounds a time.
I will use a fairly fresh battery in a big comp. as a older well used battery will slow the locktime a little, slower in the saftey circuit (this shows up while shooting as poor shots with an old battery give a bigger group- blows poor 9's to 8's.)
My shooting box normally has three batteries in it,a new one, current competition one, and a training battery.
One point , if you have a early model air pistol with a 15v battery, once the battery in the Free will not pass the battery test, put it in the air pistol and get another 3-6 months out of it.
The Free pistol uses more power than the air because of the saftey circuit.
Fortitudo Dei

Re: Trouble finding 15v batteries? Try this.

Post by Fortitudo Dei »

: as well as any thoughts/comments you might have on shelf/storage life of the battery. These little devils are expensive and not so easy to find, so I'm trying to figure out how large a stockpile to build up, without wasting a bunch because I've had them stored too long.
=======
Don't be too concerned about the 15v battery. They are deceptive little things and their true character is only revealed when you pull them apart. The next time you have drained one, carefully peel off the metal cover / case (lift or nick a corner with a sharp object, grab it with a pair of pliers and peel) and dispose of the cover (watch your fingers on the sharp edges). Inside you will find a short plastic tube, and inside that, 10 x 1.5v button cells (10 x 1.5v cells in parallel naturally = 15v). There is also the top and bottom terminal caps. All you have to do is visit your local electronic supply shop and purchase 10 1.5v button cells of the same size (I had a code somewhere, but have misplaced it. The shop should be able to help you with that). Alkaline cells are OK, silver oxide cells are better, and lithium are better still - though I haven’t yet found lithium ones in the correct size and shape, they could be out there. One alternative might be to stack 5 x 3v cells for the same result, but you will have to make a spacer. Avoid zinc-air cells - they are designed for hearing aids which are constantly "on". Though they hold a lot of power for their size, once activated (by peeling off a sticker to allow air into the cell), they can't be "stopped" and drain on their own accord.
Stack the cells in the tube (avoid touching the surfaces to prevent grease from your fingers disrupting the current), cap the top and bottom with the terminal caps from the original battery, apply electricians tape to hold the whole thing together - and Voila! - a new, inexpensive, and easy to obtain 15v battery.

Fortitudo Dei

Post by Fortitudo Dei »

: Inside you will find a short plastic tube, and inside that, 10 x 1.5v button cells (10 x 1.5v cells in parallel naturally = 15v).
====
Whoops! - 10 x 1.5v cells in SERIES = 15v :)
Mark

Post by Mark »

Nice try, Brian! I know you had your eyes on this one, but the early bird got the worm. ;-) Perhaps you'd be interested in buying my gently-used TOZ with it's unmodified, adjustable Morini grip?
Just kidding, just kidding!
Of course you can try the Morini, once I get it in my hot little hands. And provided you're willing to pay the appropriate per-shot rental fee... Sorry to have scooped it up before you got to see it, but once I had it in my hand I just couldn't resist.

Cheers,
Mark.

Mark

Post by Mark »

This is a most interesting technique, but I guess I'm missing something as the 1.5V cells I've been seeing are all in the$2+ range, which would make a fairly expensive battery. I'm sure you must have found a cheaper source than I've been seeing. Your comment about the hearing aid batteries is very helpful as you've just helped me avoid making a big mistake!
If you find the part number for the 1.5V cells you use it would be great if you could post it here. Thanks for your time, trouble and helpful comments.
Mark.
: : Inside you will find a short plastic tube, and inside that, 10 x 1.5v button cells (10 x 1.5v cells in parallel naturally = 15v).
: ====
: Whoops! - 10 x 1.5v cells in SERIES = 15v :)

Mark

Post by Mark »

Thanks for your most helpful pointers. Methinks I'll try out your "3-some" technique of battery management. Unfortunately I don't own a Morini air pistol, so don't have a use for the drained-down batteries. I'm sure I'll be able to find some volunteers to take the old batteries off my hands, though!
Since you've got lots of experience with the Morini, perhaps you wouldn't mind sharing info on its quirks, peculiarities, etc? Are there any bugaboos to be avoided, any maintenance recommendations to keep it ticking like the fine piece of Swiss craftsmanship that it is? Also, do you shoot it with a compensator? If so, how do you clean it? The new compensator appears to have larger holes in it and may be easier to clean. Does yours show any favoritism for a particular type of ammo, or more importantly, are there any types that your experience indicates should be avoided? My TOZ and Hammerli 150 both eat anything I throw at them (within reason, of course!), but I seem to recall some notes on this board about difficulty extracting some cases.
I've run on forever here. Thanks again for sharing whatever info you feel you can.

Mark.

Mark

Post by Mark »

I believe you have pointed out a mistake in my note. I haven't yet had a chance to read the manual in detail (the whole kit and kaboodle is still sitting at my dealers until all the government paperwork is sorted out), but I do know it recommends six different batteries by manufacturer name and part number. My natural instinct was to describe the battery as a lithium because its size and shape is so similar to camera batteries of lithium composition. Now that you mention it though, it must be carbon/zinc, alkaline or similar. Thank you for pointing out my error.

Mark.
Fortitudo Dei

Post by Fortitudo Dei »

: This is a most interesting technique, but I guess I'm missing something as the 1.5V cells I've been seeing are all in the$2+ range, which would make a fairly expensive battery. I'm sure you must have found a cheaper source than I've been seeing. Your comment about the hearing aid batteries is very helpful as you've just helped me avoid making a big mistake!
: If you find the part number for the 1.5V cells you use it would be great if you could post it here. Thanks for your time, trouble and helpful comments.
=============
Alas despite my searches, I think I have lost the code, so I'll have to wait until I drain my current cell before I pull it apart (seeing as this is in a Morini 163e, it may be some time!). Yes I did have to do a fair bit of looking. The price at our equivalent of Radio Shack was far too high, but eventually I managed to purchase 10 alkaline button cells for about 50c each from a surplus electronics store. You could use your local Radio shack (or similar) to identify what the equivalent button cell is - then look elsewhere. Radio Shack still seem to be selling (on-line only) the Eveready 504 version, though I don't know if this is alkaline (I think it could be a standard zinc based dry cell, rather than a stack of button cells), nor how old their stock is (I doubt that Eveready have made them for a while).
I sometimes wonder how long the 15v battery (particularly the Varta V74PX version) will remain available. Seeing as they were originally designed to ignite magnesium based photo-flash bulbs, we may not see them around forever. Still - even if the 15v cell becomes unobtainable, we should still be able to power our babies using the button cell stacking method. The price is small compared to the cost of ammo (and worthwhile I think for that wonderful Morini trigger system).

David M

Re: Morini CM84E Free Pistol-tips

Post by David M »

Mine is one of the first they made, it was re-chambered with a match grade Clymer chambering reamer so it will feed any ammo.
The compensator I use is my own version (styled from the old Walther Air pistol) with 4 large 10mm ports and is very easy to clean.
With the large ports and a double expansion chamber I can make very good use of the gas volume, so a faster ammo suits me best. Very good results with R50,R100,Federal Match and Lapua Midas.
After 8 years I have replaced three firing pins and just recently,the complete breach block due to wear. So now it is as good as new, well almost.
tck

Post by tck »

I have just 3 words to comment on the 84E, "It is excellent".
The 84E fits my medium built hand for its balance, just hold and point to the target, it stays quite stable in my grip. 80% of the virtue goes to the pistol itself and 20% is because I also own and shoot a Morini air pistol also.
As forthe battery life span, it is good for 5,000 - 6,000 rounds without problem. One thing, however, that is important is the infrared safety device will not turn off automatically and once I exhausted a new battery by forgetting to turn the electronic circuit off and in a few days, it was drained.

Mark

Re: Morini CM84E Free Pistol-tips

Post by Mark »

Wow, sounds like a very "custom" gun. I'd be very interested in seeing your compensator as I feel from inspection the Morini compensator will not achieve the same level of benefit as that of the Hammerli FP-10 (which really keeps the muzzle stable). Did you machine the comp. yourself?
You don't mention Eley ammo - I'm wondering if this is an issue of availability in your local area, or as a result of performance/quality aspects.
My thought was to stock a complete spare breach block assembly, since it is not an easy feat to change a firing pin should one break at a match. Your comments would seem to validate this concept. I don't know anybody else who's worn out a breech block on a pistol, so yours definitely sees some very serious use! Glad to hear it's taken a licking and keeps on ticking, and that after eight years you still enjoy shooting it.

Mark.
Francesco

Post by Francesco »

For the moment I don't have information from VARTA that they are going to stop the production of 15V batteries, that means that as soon as I can recive you will allways be able to buy it from our dealer Scott. The only way you have to break our firing pin is to shoot with the breach not 100% closed, that means you don't hear one klick after closing it.
morini-at-bluewin.ch.43823.43718
Mark

Thanks & Another Question for Mr. Repich

Post by Mark »

Thank you for sharing this information, Francesco. Your comment about firing pins is interesting, and causes me to ask one more question...
After I have completed shooting and cleaning the pistol, what should I do to prepare it for storage until the next time I shoot (perhaps a few days, perhaps a few weeks)? Should I completely close the breach and dry fire to remove tension from the hammer spring? Or should I put an empty cartridge case in the chamber, completely close the breach, and then dry fire on the empty cartridge case? From your earlier comment I understand the practice of closing the breach only partially and then dry firing (as I do with my TOZ and Hammerli) will eventually cause a broken firing pin. Your recommendation as to what to do to ensure a long and trouble-free life of this pistol would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Mark.

Stan Pace

If Scott doesn't have the Vartas, Nygord does. (NT)

Post by Stan Pace »

ab

Post by ab »

The varta no v74dx-15v. kodak is ka74-15v
duracell is mn154-15v

Francesco

Re: Thanks & Another Question for Mr. Repich

Post by Francesco »

Store the pistol with one empty catrige and unload the firing pin is the best solution.
morini-at-bluewin.ch.43891.43838
Mark

Thanks Again to Mr. Repich! (no text)

Post by Mark »

: Store the pistol with one empty catrige and unload the firing pin is the best solution.