Smallbore Rifles

old, good http://www.midcoast.com/~pilkguns/bbs/

Moderators: rexifelis, pilkguns

Steve

Smallbore Rifles

Post by Steve »

Getting back in after 25 years away. I do not think that Grunig-Elmiger produces a smallbore action today. So the choices are Anschutz, Walther and Feinwerkbau. Anschutz were always popular here in the U.S. but now the trigger parts are cast. Walthers were a distant second, however were well built and everything was machined and metal, no plastic. Feinwerkbau is relatively new here but appear to be top quality. The barrel can always be replaced. All of these actions should be near equals. Therefore, any thoughts on which trigger is best? Thank you.
Bill Poole

Re: Smallbore Rifles

Post by Bill Poole »

: Getting back in after 25 years away. I do not think that Grunig-Elmiger produces a smallbore action today. So the choices are Anschutz, Walther and Feinwerkbau. Anschutz were always popular here in the U.S. but now the trigger parts are cast. Walthers were a distant second, however were well built and everything was machined and metal, no plastic. Feinwerkbau is relatively new here but appear to be top quality. The barrel can always be replaced. All of these actions should be near equals. Therefore, any thoughts on which trigger is best? Thank you.

Bill Poole

Post by Bill Poole »

oops sorry somehow the message sent before i started typing... Anyway...
Earlier this year I went through the process of selecting the "Best" smallbore rifle I could afford.
But my evaluation process consisted of looking at what the best shooter I know and admire uses and more importantly, observing the care and attention to details his coach and gunsmith put into the selection of that rifle (and everything else he does). Rather than my trying to independently evaluate all the different things on the market, my friends had already done that, I followed their recommendations.
I ended up with an Anschutz 2013 in a "Stopper" stock with Anschutz sights with Centra apertures and Lapua ammo.
Now I have a lot of learning to do to be able to shoot that thing properly... that 10mm ten-ring is TINY!
Poole
http://arizona.rifleshooting.com/

(I used sorta the same method to select my air pistol... "what does my hero and idol shoot?"... only my Morini isn't gold-plated!)

bill-at-poole.com.43797.43795
pdeal

Post by pdeal »

Steve: Don't let the alu. cast trigger housing on the new anschutz rifles bother you. I have had quite a few anschutz rifles in the last 25 years and I can tell you the current 5018 trigger is the best they've ever made. Sure the old triggers were all steel but did not have near the adjustablility of the new ones.
pdeal-at-mylanlabs.com.43803.43794
Rod G.

Post by Rod G. »

Hi Steve,
I'm just waiting for my new FWB 2600 to arrive. It's in standard rifle form. In my opinion the trigger on a FWB is the best. I'll have to do a later post on accuracy though. If the gun tolerates more than just one brand/grade of ammo, that too will be a good thing.
I also wouldn't worry about cast parts in the Anschutz triggers. There is not enough stress on those parts for it to be a problem. Anschutz is always a good bet.
A fellow shooter in my club has a new Walther KK300 and it is VERY FINE! Not only is it a tackdriver, but it is very well made.
All these guns are so close that IMHO it only comes down to personal preference.
Regards,
Rod G.
p.s. My new FWB is one model out of date but NIB, and I found it at an excellent price. The savings should buy a case of good quality Lapua or Eley.

lowkey-at-autobahn.mb.ca.43812.43794
David E. Amiot

Post by David E. Amiot »

: Anschutz is always a safe bet. The Anschutz rifles are probably the best of the shelf in terms of accuracy, but accuracy entirely depends on getting a good barrel and well matched ammo. So, I would recommend finding whatever rifle fits you the best and whatever feels the best. Compare stocks, all the other parts (trigger, actions, barrels) are about the same form every manufacture, just slightly different designs.
If you are looking for a good after market barrel, talk to Lilja or Hart. They both make very good barrels that will make any rifle accurate. I think Neal Johnson offers a custom rifle service ($$$). He puts in whatever barrel you want into any rifle and stock.
DEAmiot-at-aol.com.43828.43794
pdeal

Post by pdeal »

Two of the kids that shoot with us just bought Feinwerkbau smallbore rifles. One got a 2602 and the other got a 2600. Last night was the first time I had shot and fooled with one of these and I would not hessitate to get one of those either. The triggers on both of them were super.
pdeal-at-mylanlabs.com.43836.43794
Ken J

Post by Ken J »

I haven't read any of the other postings here, but I will tell you my experience. I've shot an anschutz trigger for all my guns, including 300 meter. Folks told me that when I put an anschutz trigger on my 300 meter gun, I'd have to replace it after only one year. Well, that gun is over 10 years old, had uncounted barrels on it, but the trigger has never been off the action. I must state though, it does have a "flipper bar", transfering the weight of the bolt spring to an intermediate sear.
As for ALL my other triggers, I've been shooting for 20 years. On one occasion, at Camp Perry, I had a trigger crosspin break on me, due to faulty gunsmithing. Had the pin replaced in 5 minutes (maybe 10) and I was back on the line with time to spare. Had I used a less common trigger, the piece would have been much harder to find.
Spray the trigger off with carburetor cleaner a few times a year, lube with white lithium grease, and you've got a dependable trigger for YEARS to come.

ken benyo

Post by ken benyo »

I have used both Anschutz and FWB triggers and they are both excellent. In addition, I have never experienced any problems with either one, and that is with 18 years of service on my 1813 and about 15 on my FWB 601.
IMHO, all of the manufacturers that you listed produce fine products, but they all require proper maintenance and adjustment to your preferences.