Recovering a Gun Box

old, good http://www.midcoast.com/~pilkguns/bbs/

Moderators: rexifelis, pilkguns

shadow

Recovering a Gun Box

Post by shadow »

I just purchased an old Pachmayr case. I would like to restor it to "as new" condition. Has anyone had any experience recovering a pistol box? Does anyone know of a commercial luggage company that does this? I am now looking for the cheap way out - I want the finished product to be as nice as the Hammerlis inside!
sparis45-at-msn.com.43804.0
Cecil

Re: Recovering a Gun Box

Post by Cecil »

Do a web search for "tolex" the material that amps and cases are covered in. Some of the supply sites have suggestions for covering process or contacts. By the way, you can get some really neat colors / patterns like "rattlesnake skin".
Michael

Post by Michael »

Check out http://www.ampwares.com/coverings.html
I've never done this myself, but it looks like a tough job to get it to look like new. Most cases that I've seen redone have an uneven finish. It would probably work out well as long as the old covering and glue were completely removed, the proper glue was used and a roller of some kind used to get out the wrinkles and thick glue spots. One would also have to lay out the material and carefully consider where the ends would meet. I'm not trying to discourage you, just a heads up. I would think that it would cost a considerable amount to have someone to do this professionally, if you can find someone that would tackle the job. Let us know how it comes out, if you decide to do this or have it done.
: I just purchased an old Pachmayr case. I would like to restor it to "as new" condition. Has anyone had any experience recovering a pistol box? Does anyone know of a commercial luggage company that does this? I am now looking for the cheap way out - I want the finished product to be as nice as the Hammerlis inside!

Wee Hooker

Post by Wee Hooker »

Just a thought but why not disasemble the box ( grind/drill rivits from the inside) and use the panels as templats to trace new pieces on some nice Hardwood plywood. ( About $30/1/2 sheet and comes in all sorts of woods). Use existing corners, locks etc to reasemble, varnish and you could have a functional work of art to carry your baby in. Never cared for the look of that cheap black covering myself anyway. : I just purchased an old Pachmayr case. I would like to restor it to "as new" condition. Has anyone had any experience recovering a pistol box? Does anyone know of a commercial luggage company that does this? I am now looking for the cheap way out - I want the finished product to be as nice as the Hammerlis inside!