Bifocals, shooting glasses, etc

old, good http://www.midcoast.com/~pilkguns/bbs/

Moderators: rexifelis, pilkguns

Questor

Bifocals, shooting glasses, etc

Post by Questor »

At age 45 I can no longer deny that I need bifocals or reading glasses for reading. I need to see an optometrist about that problem. But are there implications on shooting that depend on which type of glasses I get? What kinds of glasses are typically used by shooters who need bifocals?
Thank you for your time.
Bob Riegl

Re: Bifocals, shooting glasses, etc

Post by Bob Riegl »

At age 72 I have been using trifocals for several years. I find that the middle lens (intermediate) is just about perfect for iron sights. My Champions use this part of the prescription plus the iris and as a result I have front sights as sharp as you might want them.The rear sights are also quite sharp. The targets sharpness (depends on the range---10m.and/or 25m. & 50 m.)
Craig E.

Post by Craig E. »

Add nine to your age. I also use trifocals and found that my previous prescription had just about the perfect correction in the middle seg for iron sights at 10m. I use these to shoot and just today got a clip-on iris (Gehman) to make the alignments easier.... will let you know how that works, but must say that I have been shooting for almost a year now with little difficulty in sight focus....when I can execute everything else well. One thing that the multi seg glasses do is force the shooter to maintain a consisten head position while sighting....a plus. HTH. Craig

: At age 45 I can no longer deny that I need bifocals or reading glasses for reading. I need to see an optometrist about that problem. But are there implications on shooting that depend on which type of glasses I get? What kinds of glasses are typically used by shooters who need bifocals?
: Thank you for your time.

alance2002-at-yahoo.com.43779.43770
LesJ

Post by LesJ »

I posted this before, so it doesn't answer your question directly but it is close.
This applies to pistol shooters only. You need +.5 diopter to take strain from eye, because front sight is closer than relaxed eye (1.5 meter). Normal glasses will correct vision to that of normal vision, so that +.5 needs to be added to bring focus closer than 1.5 meter.
If someone uses bifocals (bad regular vision plus age related
short distance- reading glasses) than front sight fall somewhere between regular (distant) and short vision distance. In my case I use reading glasses only, so I don't need correction for normal vision That would indicate that I would need +.5 diopter for pistol shooting glasses, but because my short distance is affected than I need to correct that with additional +diopter, but not as much as reading glasses because front sight is not as close as 16 inches which is distance for reading glasses. So instead of +1.5 I use additional +.5 diopter for total of +1.0. This is approximate , in fact I have couple additional lenses +.75 and
+1.25 to use depends on light condition which affects depth of field and sharpness of sights and blur of bull. I prefer to correct that with lens power first and than with iris so my eye will receive most available light. I hope that this is more clear. I don't know if you had chance to experience reading glasses, but in my case +1.5 is for 16 inches. If I need to work on something small and get very close than I need to use more power like +2.5, on other hand if I watch monitor screen or front sight than I need less power. That's were that only +.5 on the top of +.5 is needed for total of +1.0.

gary

Post by gary »

I wear trifocals..now, used to be bifocals :-(
I went with an old B&L frame
For the shooting eye, I have a single prescription lens, so I could focus on the front sight.
For the non-shooting eye, I have a standard distance lens, so I could walk around.
I later found that this setup has a problem...I could not read/see anything up close w/o taking off the glasses (difficult to do when wearing muffs). A pellet looks like a gray blob, I had to feel which end was the front of the pellet. I now recommend a standard bifocal lens in the non-aiming eye. And for the aiming eye, maybe a "small" (so it won't interfeer w the aiming) bifocal reading lens on the aiming eye. Then you can read and see things up close.
The lens are made of polycarbonate for safety, as I use it for both air and powder.
My eye doc and I worked together on a new prescription. We figured out what prescription would let me focus on the front sight (took my AP into her office, in a briefcase), and also be able to see the target. She verified what Warren recommended in his "hitchhikers guide" on shooting glasses. Read the article and take it with you to your eye doc.
Gud Luk
Gary

: At age 45 I can no longer deny that I need bifocals or reading glasses for reading. I need to see an optometrist about that problem. But are there implications on shooting that depend on which type of glasses I get? What kinds of glasses are typically used by shooters who need bifocals?
: Thank you for your time.