Best Place to Retire in the US, to do ISSF shooting?

old, good http://www.midcoast.com/~pilkguns/bbs/

Moderators: rexifelis, pilkguns

Mako

Best Place to Retire in the US, to do ISSF shooting?

Post by Mako »

Besides Ft. Benning, Georgia ... where do you think is the best place to retire in the U.S. to be able to shoot ISSF matches ...
makofoto-at-earthlink.net.43715.0
Mike McDaniel

Re: Best Place to Retire in the US, to do ISSF shooting?

Post by Mike McDaniel »

: Besides Ft. Benning, Georgia ... where do you think is the best place to retire in the U.S. to be able to shoot ISSF matches ...
Let's see.....
The obvious places would be between San Diego and Los Angeles, or Colorado Springs. The inobvious places would be Elkhart, IN - the St. Joseph Rifle and Pistol club has an aggressive ISSF program - and perhaps Charleston, SC - the Citadel has a program as well.

HMSLion-at-aol.com.43717.43715
Rick Eickhoff

Re: New York, Pennsylvania, New Jersey

Post by Rick Eickhoff »

Mako,
I must admit, the NY,PA,NJ is a mecca for bullseye and international pistol shooting.
Here in NY we have a pretty good international winter postal league - 6 month duration. Both FP and AP, (1) 60 shot course per month (50ft indoor). The Binghamton Rifle and Pistol Club serves as the local site for a shoulder to shoulder match, where the scores are sent to a Match director, who forwards the monthly score and running average. I would say there are about 50 shooter that compete in this international league.
Also, the Binghamton Rifle and Pistol Club hosts the NRA International Sectionals. FP, AP and STD.
The Empire State Games, is like a mini Olympics for NY State residents. There is a regional team tryout for team selection and then the actual Games fired at one central NY location. Outdoor FP, RF and AP. I believe there are 4 or 5 regions for New York. 2 and 3 man teams events along with the individual match, plus finals.
Add to that a nice Winter Indoor BE league - Friday Nights. A 2700 can be found within a 250 mile radius.
Pistol shooting is alive and well in the great northeast.
Not to mention, there is none of the Souther California traffic.
Rgds,
Rick Eickhoff

: Besides Ft. Benning, Georgia ... where do you think is the best place to retire in the U.S. to be able to shoot ISSF matches ...

reickhoff-at-stny.rr.com.43719.43715
Paul Ha

Post by Paul Ha »

Here in Grand Junction, Colorado, where winters are quite mild and summers not quite approaching those of Phoenix's, some enterprising souls are putting together a 280 acres shooting facility on private grounds, backed up to Federal lands. ISSF and conventional bullseye matches are definitely in their plans; besides all sorts of rifle competitions as well as action and cowboy types -- all on their own sport-specific ranges. The cowboy-action people are the first ones to get theirs done and are holding events on a monthly basis.

While things are being put together on other types of shooting, albeit a bit slowly; local match-hungry individuals are travelling to Salt Lake City UT, Raton NM, and within Colorado, Colorado Springs, Craig, Gunnison, Rifle and Denver to compete......all of them within a 5 hours driving radius.

At present, we have only the NRA Indoors Sectional, for AP, SP and FP, to host in January. Since some of our aforementioned-neighboring hosts are in danger of being crowded out by urban develoments, our match situation would improve as the ranges are being readied......I hope.

paul_ha00-at-hotmail.com.43732.43715
Gene Rotsch

You are too young to retire!!! nt

Post by Gene Rotsch »

JLK

Mako, I retired at 51... Go for it!!!!!nt

Post by JLK »

Sandy Santibanez

Re: You are too young to retire!!! nt

Post by Sandy Santibanez »

: : Besides Ft. Benning, Georgia ... where do you think is the best place to retire in the U.S. to be able to shoot ISSF matches ...
There is no such thing as being too young to retire. If work was such a great thing, all of the rich people of the world would have cornered the market on it. Just realize that you will probably be busier (doing the many things that are truly important to you) after you retire than when you work full time, even if your work is something that you really like. Been there, am doing that.
Sandy

tenx-at-san.rr.com.43776.43758
Jay Lindsey

Post by Jay Lindsey »

If you own a house after you retire, instead of waking up and going to work, you'll wake up surrounded by it!!!! LOL
Gaines Blackwell

Post by Gaines Blackwell »

Mako, I am retired and live about 35 miles from Columbus/Ft Benning in Auburn, Alabama. It is a college town of about 20,000 regulars and 23,000 students. The University , where I taught is always providing interesting things to the public, the town is clean and safe but a little over developed. Lots of people are retiring here, gets hot but not too cold, climate is good for shooting.I wanted a" short" trigger installed in my Sig and the local PD armorer did the job in the station house! La Grange , Ga is about the same distance and is a nice smaller town. I think the trick is not to live in Columbus but in a surrounding town. Many nationally know shooters do just that...: Besides Ft. Benning, Georgia ... where do you think is the best place to retire in the U.S. to be able to shoot ISSF matches ...

gtblackwell-at-charter.net.43825.43715
John Zurek

Re: Best Place is Phoenix, Arizona

Post by John Zurek »

Considering most retiree flock to Arizona in the winter months, Sept-May, you will feel right at home with others with ample time on their hands. However, Phx Rod & Gun is very active, monthly pto's which include a 50m range(which you can shoot year round)a 25m rapid fire bay, a 10m airpistol/rifle well lighted and ventilated(AC for the summer months)Tuesday night match alternates between Bullseye and Intl CF. Thursday night Air Pistol league. In addition Les is adding more PTO's for Olympic disciplines with finals. Let' see, 12 hours from the OTC, six hours to the beach, hmmmmmmm. Oh yeah, the price of housing is affordable-for you retired folks on a fixed income. Wherever you end up Mako, they will benifit from your presence as you will theirs.

JZurekjr-at-aol.com.43855.43715
Bill Poole

Re: Best Place is Phoenix, Arizona

Post by Bill Poole »

> "Considering most retiree flock to Arizona .....
> Phx Rod & Gun is very active"
(http://www.phoenixrodandgun.org/)
Phoenix is THE place for High Power, Palma and Service rifle.... 3 clubs in town shoot that... also IPSC, whatever that is, but its a little light on International... No rifle PTO's scheduled yet, I'll have to drive to LAR&R for that!
I THINK Zurek wants you to move here so there will be more than just Him and Me at the thursday night AP league he's starting next month :)
Oh, and there's a real active Cowboy action shooting group we can join when our eyes finally go south and we can't shoot real matches any more
HAHAHHAHAHHAHAHA
good shooting!
Poole
http://arizona.rifleshooting.com/
mostly rifle stuff, but I will add pistol stuff now that I'm getting into that game!!!
HERE is our International Pistol Championships on 15-Nov http://arizona.rifleshooting.com/intpist03.doc come one out!

bill-at-poole.com.43910.43855