Steyr LP2P: A Stripped LP10?

old, good http://www.midcoast.com/~pilkguns/bbs/

Moderators: rexifelis, pilkguns

Matt VDW

Steyr LP2P: A Stripped LP10?

Post by Matt VDW »

I see that Steyr has a new (new to me at least) air pistol, the LP2P, that retails for about $300 less than an LP10.
Is it the same basic action and barrel as the LP10? If so, how (other than supplying only a single cylinder) did Steyr manage to lower the price?
mvandewe-at-columbus.rr.com.43747.0
Mark.

Re: Steyr LP2P: A Stripped LP10?

Post by Mark. »

The description provided to me by our illustrious host is a good explanation of the price differential. The LP-2 is essentially an LP-1 without the barrel shroud. So no barrel drilling, no recoil absorption, no n-way adjustable trigger shoe. And, as you pointed out, only one cylinder.
For the extra three hundred bucks the LP-10 is a LOT more airgun. I own and shoot both the LP-1 and LP-10, and love both designs. The LP-1's I have were purchased used, so price didn't even begin to compare with the LP-10. If I were to make a purchase decision between them based on their technical merits as it would appear you are doing, I would probably spend the extra cash to get the bells and whistles of the LP-10. Besides, it's a tried, tested and true design. (Six of eight finalists at our country's national pistol championships were shooting Steyr LP-10's, and the seventh was shooting a pre-LP1 Steyr air pistol that looks a lot like the LP-2 does today!)
Hope this helps.

Mark.

Matt VDW

Post by Matt VDW »

: The description provided to me by our illustrious host is a good explanation of the price differential. The LP-2 is essentially an LP-1 without the barrel shroud. So no barrel drilling, no recoil absorption, no n-way adjustable trigger shoe. And, as you pointed out, only one cylinder.
: For the extra three hundred bucks the LP-10 is a LOT more airgun. I own and shoot both the LP-1 and LP-10, and love both designs. The LP-1's I have were purchased used, so price didn't even begin to compare with the LP-10. If I were to make a purchase decision between them based on their technical merits as it would appear you are doing, I would probably spend the extra cash to get the bells and whistles of the LP-10. Besides, it's a tried, tested and true design. (Six of eight finalists at our country's national pistol championships were shooting Steyr LP-10's, and the seventh was shooting a pre-LP1 Steyr air pistol that looks a lot like the LP-2 does today!)
: Hope this helps.
:
: Mark.
Thanks for the information.
What is "barrel drilling" and why is it a good thing?
Also, do you know if the cylinders from the different Steyr air pistols will interchange? Could, for instance, an LP-2 and an LP-5 share the same cylinders?
mvandewe-at-columbus.rr.com.43788.43751
Mark

Post by Mark »

In response to your questions:
1) Barrel drilling - if you look at the top of the barrel of an LP10 you'll see there are three holes drilled through the barrel shroud and through the top side of the barrel. The intent is to bleed off the high pressure propulsive gas behind the pellet in a progressive manner. By the time the pellet reaches the end of the barrel there is very little pressure behind it. The compensator then vents virtually any remaining gases in an upward direction to counter muzzle flip. The net result of both compensator and barrel drilling is a pellet that leaves the barrel in a very stable fashion, with no big "poof" of air behind it to disturb its flight, and a gun that appears not to move when you fire it. Weird science, but boy oh boy, does it ever work!
2) Cylinders... I don't know for certain about the fitting on the LP2, but I do know the LP10 and LP5 cylinders are directly interchangeable. I would imagine that Steyr would use the same fitting on all PCP guns in order to improve on parts commonality.
Hope this helps.

Mark.