physical training?

old, good http://www.midcoast.com/~pilkguns/bbs/

Moderators: rexifelis, pilkguns

rick lee

physical training?

Post by rick lee »

read that physical training such as cardio can help shooting how far is this true? if it is i think i will start cycling more.
Joe Matusic, MD

Definitely

Post by Joe Matusic, MD »

The lower the heart rate, the less your gun is going to move during your sighting. Further, the more physcially fit you are the less muscle fatigue you will get into during longer sessions. There is a good description of this in the army marksmanship site. Note sure where this is, but I am sure someone online does or try the tenp pages.
Joe.Matusic-at-Camc.org.43722.43716
Patrick

Re: AMU manual and training info

Post by Patrick »

You can find the US Army Marksmanship Unit Marksmanship Training Guide at TargetShooting Canada, as well as several other manuals.
Additionally, there are some training sections which include Physical Training.
Hope this helps.
Patrick
hayens-at-targetshooting.ca.43730.43722
PETE

Define help

Post by PETE »

If you mean will physical training add ten points to your score, probably not. The only thing that will add points is better trigger control, and better sight alignment.
Having said that, I ran 3 miles at 5AM and jogged, carrying weights and doing arm exercises for an hour at lunch time in part to help my shooting. I have been doing this for about a year in any weather in Virginia. The heat at Fort Benning is no concern to me. I feel much stronger, have taken off a little weight, and a couple of inches around the waist. My back does not bother me and some of the shoulder fatigue during shooting and some resulting from old shoulder injuries are gone.
My scores are up a little, but I attribute that to the work on sight alignment and commitment to shooting.
Yes physical training will help, and help the rest of your life. Think of shooting as just one part of the total self that is your life. Physical training is a part of that total self.

: read that physical training such as cardio can help shooting how far is this true? if it is i think i will start cycling more.