Thoughts on SAKO Triace??

old, good http://www.midcoast.com/~pilkguns/bbs/

Moderators: rexifelis, pilkguns

Mike McDaniel

Thoughts on SAKO Triace??

Post by Mike McDaniel »

Ran into one of these with all the conversions. Good gun? Worth buying? Or better passed up? Thanks.

HMSLion-at-aol.com.43673.0
Patrick

Re: Thoughts on SAKO Triace??

Post by Patrick »

Good gun but long since out of production. If anything breaks, you'll have a difficult time buying replacement parts.
I have a friend who has one, and he's having that trouble. None-the-less, he loves the gun and swears it's the finest one ever made. I've shot it and enjoyed the way that it handled, but prefer my Walther GSP over it. Like the Triace, I have the gun setup with the .22LR/.32S&W Long conversion. Not shooting apidfire, I didn't have a desire for the short round.
Are you looking at all three barrels?
Patrick
Patrick
haynes-at-targetshooting.ca.43678.43673
RML

Post by RML »

Good design (or at least good idea), nice to shoot, but: Out of production. No spare parts. Malfunctions.
Not much more to say.
Fortitudo Dei

Post by Fortitudo Dei »

: Ran into one of these with all the conversions. Good gun? Worth buying? Or better passed up?
A few were purchased by fellow club members many moons ago. They told me they were great - if you could shoot a match without it malfunctioning (which was rare). The Triace was also a bit of a financial disaster for Sako who went back to making what they do best - superb rifles.
David M

Do much fishing ?

Post by David M »

If it is very cheap, good for a play, otherwise use it for a sinker.

Very difficult to get them to be reliable but the .22 when working is very good. Try it, shoot it, by I would never take one to a competition.
Timo

Post by Timo »

I got one. Hole set: .32 .22LR and .22 Short.
It works great. Malfunction could happen, if
I don't clean it about after any 1000-1200 shot.
If you keep it clean, you should easy shoot hundreds of shots without any single malfunction.
I have heard for other guys, that some of TriAce .22 magazines might sometimes cost problems. I did call today to SAKO. It's in
Riihimäki FINLAND, and they gunsmith says that almost every parts of TriAce can still buy.
If you like very VERY dry trigger action, you
should think something other gun. In Triace the
trigger action is also dry, but it feels little
bit more rolling type, but very little. So little
that it takes a lot of shots, you even notice that. I love that kind of trigger action.
My opinion is that TriAce is masterpiece.
Good choice.

timo.vareluoto-at-hel.fi.44083.43673
Villo

Post by Villo »

Hi Mike
For what it is worth...I shoot two Sakos a 22 and a 32...Very well made gun...well balanced...no problems..have to keep it more or less clean and properly oiled ...Parts available from Finland at return mail. Changed my guns from Walther GSP to Sako because of balance.I shoot Eley Targe Pistol ( Yellow label) and Lapua Pistol King,Lapua Master for matches and Fed 711b and Lapua Super Club for practice.For 32 I reload Lapua Brass,VV-N310 x 1.6 grains powder, Speer HBWC lead.So far no problems..except Fed 711b that has lots of scrap and duds. For a decent price I would buy Sako any time.
The only problem is the man behind the gun namely me.
Good shooting to you
Villo
marmei_v-at-pathcom.com.44109.43673
Villo

Post by Villo »

Hi Mike...Message No.2
I forgot to mention that You have to check the condition and abuse factor of the gun and be aware that there are two versions of Sako the Old model with a short frame and rhe newer models with a long frame. The newer models and frame are better and a more sturdy gun.Also more parts are available for the newer models.Most parts and magazines from old models and newer models are not interchangable. The guns are compleatly adjustable for operation from inside.
Villo
Stewart

Post by Stewart »

I own a last generation Triace set and have competed with it constantly since 1992. The only malfunction ( other than ammo.) that I have had is a broken transfer bar spring in around '95. A replacement spring was available from Stoeger and arrived by mail in two days. The Triace has, since then , gone out of production so spare parts will obviously get harder to find but I wouldn't be deterred by that as many "wear out" parts can be made by a competent gunsmith.
swallace-at-bmts.com.44517.43673