directions to Fort Benning from Columbus

old, good http://www.midcoast.com/~pilkguns/bbs/

Moderators: rexifelis, pilkguns

Ray

directions to Fort Benning from Columbus

Post by Ray »

Hi all,
Does anyone know the directions to Fort Benning from Columbus and the location of the range? Specifically once you reach the military complex where and how to get the the range.
Thanks
toz35m22-at-yahoo.com.43573.0
Stephanie Litz

Re: directions to Fort Benning from Columbus

Post by Stephanie Litz »

Columbus and Ft Benning are not far apart at all. From Columbus, continue south on I-185. I-185 literally ends at Fort Benning. You will go under an overpass and this is where I-185 stops and Ft Benning begins. Watch your speed. It is 55 mph, later dropping to 45 then 35. Continue on until you reach the check point. If you do not have military stickers for your vehicle I believe you will need to stay in the right hand lane. You will need to present your driver's license and possibly your insurance, so have them out and ready before you reach the check point. If they ask you what your purpose is on post, let them know you are headed to Poole Range for a match. They may search your vehicle.
After you pass through the check point, keep going straight. You will approach a V in the road, stay to the right. Now you are on a two lane road and the speed limit is 45. You will pass the Follow Me Golf Course on your right and different firing ranges/tank ranges will be on your left as you travel down this road. Continue on, the speed will eventually drop to 35 as you head up a small hill. Once you top that hill you will see several 2 story white buildings in front and off to the left. There is a stop light at this point. You will want to get in the left turn lane at the light. Turn left and then make an immediate left and you will pass through a gate/fence. Continue down this road which will lead you to all AMU ranges. If you are going to Poole Range, you will take a left at the shot gun field and curve around.
Hope this helps.
Steph Litz
Columbus, GA
litz10x-at-hotmail.com.43577.43573
Bill Poole

Poole Range ?!?!?!?! Re: directions to Fort Benning from Col

Post by Bill Poole »

what a cool name for a range!!!!
Poole
http://arizona.rifleshooting.com/
bill-at-poole.com.43614.43577
Chris L in NC

Sadly, that's not quite it =o(

Post by Chris L in NC »

: what a cool name for a range!!!!
: Poole
: http://arizona.rifleshooting.com/
They spell it Pool Range. No silent (wasted) e. Sorry to bust your bubble, but the truth hurts sometimes.
However, the important question is, what about the U in Pool Range? That is, will U be there? =o) 300m Nationals are next month. I will have already spent my shooting trip allowance but U might like it.
chrisatty-at-hotmail.com.43668.43614
Eric U.

Pool Range

Post by Eric U. »

Pool Range is named for LTC Tommy G. Pool, a World Champion in 1962, and Olympic Bronze medalist from Tokyo in 1964. He died in 1990 from lukemia. He was a well loved person by all who knew him. He worked at the AMU for many years after he retired from competition. His daughter, Nancy, still works there.
My favorite quote from Tommy Pool: "don't worry about the winning 'til the shooting is done." Wise words indeed.