PCP pistols

old, good http://www.midcoast.com/~pilkguns/bbs/

Moderators: rexifelis, pilkguns

Hyoung

PCP pistols

Post by Hyoung »

I'm looking for a nice used air pistol for target shooting. As I was looking around, I constantly see Morini 162E which have a new retail price of 1100 yet are selling for sub 600 prices for the gun and a case. I'm wondering what I would need in addition to use the pistol ie a hand pump, some kind of plug to attach the pump to the pistol cylinder etc. Also I am wondering what all these accesories may cost as I have no knowledge on PCP's. Any help would be useful, thanks.
GameD2k-at-aol.com.42836.0
Joe Matusic, MD

Re: PCP pistols

Post by Joe Matusic, MD »

For target 10m air pistols, there are single stroke pneumatic, recoiless spring piston, CO2 and PCP guns. Once you get above the $250 price range, the accuracy is about the same. What you pay for over $250 is better grips, better trigger, better sights, PCP versus cocking, better workmanship, etc. I think most who visit this sight would agree that the best gun for the money is a IZH-46m. The sponsor of this site (www.pilkguns.com) sells them for competitive prices. $250-$280, single stroke pneumatic, good grips, good trigger, ok sights, more accurate than most of us. A used FWB 65 is a also great pistol. $250-$600, great grips, great trigger, good sights (depends on model and year), its a recoiless springer and was state of the art for decades. Past the FWB 65, you can get into PCP guns. There is the Morini 162, FWB P34/P30, Steyr LP10, Hammerli, Walther 300, etc. The prices of these guns are within a few hundred $ of each other, very similar features. There are single stroke pneumatic versions of some of these guns that have the extra features, but don't require a pump or scuba tank. When you get to this level, it really comes down to feel of the gun and how you shoot with it. I have owned most of these and have my favorite, but it might not be the same as the next guys. The Morini is a great gun and has my favorite trigger.
With PCP guns, you will need to charge the gun with air. You normally get a standard adapter to hook the gun to a standard scuba tank adapter, but this second adapter costs about $100 extra. The standard american scuba tank needs this second adapter, but other coutnries use a threaded opening that the adapter that comes with the gun will fit. Some used guns will come this second adapter, most won't. You will need to know when closing the deal. The pump has a threaded adapter that the adapter that comes with the gun will fit in. This is a cheaper approach if your starting with nothing. You won't need the $100 scuba adapter. Only problem with the pump is you will burn a few calories pumping up the gun. Most guns take 100-200 pumps to pump it up the first time and 50-100 to recharge once the pressure drops below useable range. The pump runs $100 used up to $180 new. Scuba tank runs $150-$200 new and must be charged by a dive shop (usually $4 each charge, which will give dozens to hundreds of fills for a pistol).
Joe.Matusic-at-Camc.org.42845.42836
Joe G.

Morini .....

Post by Joe G. »

Dr. Joe has given a very good overview of the match pistol situation. You mention the Morini 162E selling used in the $600 price range. This is correct but the E model is not the current version of their electronic trigger pistol, the model 162EI is. The main difference between them is that you can remove the air cylinder for filling (and have a spare which the gun comes with). The older model 162E had the cylinder as a permanent part of the gun and not removable. You can buy a new model 162EI for $995 and on the used market they generally go for $750-850 price range. It's a great hobby, enjoy. Joe G.

Josephjfg-at-aol.com.42848.42836
Michael

Post by Michael »

There is a difference between the Morini 162E and 162EI. The 162E has a fixed cylinder. If the cylinder goes bad you'd presumably have an expensive wall hanger. The 162EI has easily (they simply unscrew) removable cylinders that can be replaced if they go bad. There is about $225 difference in the used prices of the two models, the 162EI being the more expensive. Most folks use a scuba tank to refill their cylinders, but you might want to check out the new FX 3rd Generation Hand Pump. It is supposed to be much easier to pump and comes with a moisture filter that requires no servicing. Everything that the good Doctor wrote applies, also.

: I'm looking for a nice used air pistol for target shooting. As I was looking around, I constantly see Morini 162E which have a new retail price of 1100 yet are selling for sub 600 prices for the gun and a case. I'm wondering what I would need in addition to use the pistol ie a hand pump, some kind of plug to attach the pump to the pistol cylinder etc. Also I am wondering what all these accesories may cost as I have no knowledge on PCP's. Any help would be useful, thanks.

pdeal

Post by pdeal »

Minor addition to Dr. Joe's comments. Pilkington's sells the scuba adapter for $50- cheapest I've seen and the one I use.
pdeal-at-mylanlabs.com.42851.42845
Joe Matusic, MD

Uh, oh, I might need to aquire a few more.

Last time I bought one it was $100. I have adapters for the FWB, Steyr, Morini and now the Valiant.
Joe.Matusic-at-Camc.org.42858.42851
Fortitudo Dei

Post by Fortitudo Dei »

: There is a difference between the Morini 162E and 162EI. The 162E has a fixed cylinder. If the cylinder goes bad you'd presumably have an expensive wall hanger.
No so. Apart from the fact that failures on the 162E are very rare, parts are still available. The 162E cylinder can be removed (with a wrench) for servicing and last time I contacted Morini on this issue, they assured me that they could continue to support the pistol. I bought a second hand 162E which I have put many thousands of pellets through and it has never missed a beat. The 162ei's "new" electronics (which uses 2 AAA batteries rather than the old 15v job) and its removable cylinder are there as convenient extras more than anything. They won't help you shoot any better.

Michael

Post by Michael »

: : There is a difference between the Morini 162E and 162EI. The 162E has a fixed cylinder. If the cylinder goes bad you'd presumably have an expensive wall hanger.
: No so. Apart from the fact that failures on the 162E are very rare, parts are still available. The 162E cylinder can be removed (with a wrench) for servicing and last time I contacted Morini on this issue, they assured me that they could continue to support the pistol. I bought a second hand 162E which I have put many thousands of pellets through and it has never missed a beat. The 162ei's "new" electronics (which uses 2 AAA batteries rather than the old 15v job) and its removable cylinder are there as convenient extras more than anything. They won't help you shoot any better.
Thanks for clearing that up. Just out of curiosity, how do you fill the tank on a 162E? Do you attach the gun with cylinder attached to a fixed valve on a pump or scuba tank or do you use a flexible hose?

Fortitudo Dei

Post by Fortitudo Dei »

: Thanks for clearing that up. Just out of curiosity, how do you fill the tank on a 162E? Do you attach the gun with cylinder attached to a fixed valve on a pump or scuba tank or do you use a flexible hose?
I have a small 3 litre BA (Breathing Apparatus) tank with an accurate pressure valve and a pressure release screw installed. I carefully screw the entire pistol into the tank valve with the pistol in a vertical position to avoid putting any undue pressure on the screw threads. Open the main valve for a couple of seconds to fill, then open the pressure release screw, and then unscrew the pistol. I use a BA rather than a SCUBA tank as in my country (New Zealand), scuba tanks must be hydro-tested annually, while BA tanks come under a 5 year testing regime.

Joe Matusic, MD

Re: Morini 162E vs IE

I have actually owned both the E and IE versions of this gun. I really liked the E version, especially since it was a pretty light blue. I wanted a IE version to have a removeable cylinder (or two). I noticed no realy differences in firing and shooting both guns. I do have the short version of the IE and didn't notice any real balance difference.

Joe.Matusic-at-Camc.org.42878.42848
David M

Re: Morini 162E vs IE--Conversions

Post by David M »

Hi Joe,
Just a reminder that a conversion kit is available to change a fixed tank pistol to removable tanks.
This conversion is well worth it as the very early Morini's are now approaching eight years old. (Ten years should be the useful life of a pressure tank.)
As for the electronics the only difference is the battery, some countries had a lot of trouble getting the old 15v battery, otherwise the triggers are the same.
Mike Stimson Sr.

Re: Morini 162E vs IE--Conversions

Post by Mike Stimson Sr. »

where do i get the conversion kit.
thanks,
mike

stimson590-at-texasairnet.com.43782.42893