Scuba Tanks & Valves

old, good http://www.midcoast.com/~pilkguns/bbs/

Moderators: rexifelis, pilkguns

Michael

Scuba Tanks & Valves

Post by Michael »

I'm new to scuba. I have a chance to buy a used scuba tank with "K" valve at a good price. It is steel, but only holds 2250 psi. I'm thinking that I may need an aluminum tank that holds 3000 psi after reading the article on scuba at the Pilkington website. Will the steel tank work fine or do I need an aluminum 3000 psi tank? The lady at the scuba shop said that the aluminum tanks are only good for a maximum of 15 years while the steel tanks can be pressure tested without limitations, as long as they are good.
I can get the tank with a 200 DIN valve rated at 3000 psi. As I understand it, if I get the 200 DIN valve instead of a standard "K" valve then the adapter that comes with the air pistol will fit directly without any adapters or modifications. Is my thinking right?
Randy

Re: Scuba Tanks & Valves

Post by Randy »

If you use the K Valve then you will need a Yoke ($99). However, If you get a DIN Valve then you can screw your air gun adapter directly into the DIN Valve. The big disadvantage maybe that your local scuba shop may not have the equipment to hookup to your DIN valve. That is the situation I have in this area. I kind of gotten around that by having a Scuba Pro Valve on my tank. It gives me the advantage of K Valve, but I just unscrew the center part of the valve with a allen wrench and I can screw in my air gun adapter. The Scuba Pro Valve are alittle more expensive, but they are designed to handle the higher pressures then the K Valve.
Steel tanks have one disadvantage and they are subject to rust more so then the aluminum tanks.

: I'm new to scuba. I have a chance to buy a used scuba tank with "K" valve at a good price. It is steel, but only holds 2250 psi. I'm thinking that I may need an aluminum tank that holds 3000 psi after reading the article on scuba at the Pilkington website. Will the steel tank work fine or do I need an aluminum 3000 psi tank? The lady at the scuba shop said that the aluminum tanks are only good for a maximum of 15 years while the steel tanks can be pressure tested without limitations, as long as they are good.
: I can get the tank with a 200 DIN valve rated at 3000 psi. As I understand it, if I get the 200 DIN valve instead of a standard "K" valve then the adapter that comes with the air pistol will fit directly without any adapters or modifications. Is my thinking right?

randy-at-srv.net.42861.42860
Jerry LeVan

Post by Jerry LeVan »

Hi Michael
I suspect 2250 psi is near the low end for any kind of extended session.
Most CA AP's run at about 70 BAR (= 1015Jdrry ). Recall that every time you refill the AP cylinder the pressure in the Scuba tank will decrease. I suspect you would be making many trips to the refill station if the max pressure is 2250 psi.
I suspect that fifteen years from now we will be shooting alloy pellets with pistols powered by emf forces. Don't worry about the short life of aluminum tanks :)
I wish I could afford one of the 4500 psi carbon fiber tanks with a reducing valve. I probably would not have to refill the rascal every other year. ( I have to commute to another town to get a refill. )
--Jerry
Michael

Post by Michael »

I assume that the dive shop here can fill the tank via the DIN valve since they carry it, but I'd better check and find out for sure. Thanks for the tip. It looks like I'll be getting the new aluminum tank and DIN valve if they don't want any extra for it. The used steel tanks were less than 1/2 the price of the new aluminum tanks so of course that's what got my attention at first. I was going to get the steel tank, but as the lady was ringing up the sale I mentioned what I was going to use the tank for and she said that the steel tank might not be suitable with the lower pressure and that I might want to check it out and get back with them. It's really great working with a mom and pop operation that really knows their business. They were very familiar with air fill ups for other purposes since paint ball has taken this area by storm. Although I'm a certified diver she didn't seemed too concerned about checking since I was going to use the air for other than scuba.
: If you use the K Valve then you will need a Yoke ($99). However, If you get a DIN Valve then you can screw your air gun adapter directly into the DIN Valve. The big disadvantage maybe that your local scuba shop may not have the equipment to hookup to your DIN valve. That is the situation I have in this area. I kind of gotten around that by having a Scuba Pro Valve on my tank. It gives me the advantage of K Valve, but I just unscrew the center part of the valve with a allen wrench and I can screw in my air gun adapter. The Scuba Pro Valve are alittle more expensive, but they are designed to handle the higher pressures then the K Valve.
: Steel tanks have one disadvantage and they are subject to rust more so then the aluminum tanks.
:
: : I'm new to scuba. I have a chance to buy a used scuba tank with "K" valve at a good price. It is steel, but only holds 2250 psi. I'm thinking that I may need an aluminum tank that holds 3000 psi after reading the article on scuba at the Pilkington website. Will the steel tank work fine or do I need an aluminum 3000 psi tank? The lady at the scuba shop said that the aluminum tanks are only good for a maximum of 15 years while the steel tanks can be pressure tested without limitations, as long as they are good.
: : I can get the tank with a 200 DIN valve rated at 3000 psi. As I understand it, if I get the 200 DIN valve instead of a standard "K" valve then the adapter that comes with the air pistol will fit directly without any adapters or modifications. Is my thinking right?

pdeal

Post by pdeal »

I picked up a few steel tanks for free when we got into the pcp guns. They do work ok but the aluminum is the way to go. Steel 2250 psi tanks give you a pretty good fill when they are full. The trouble is you pretty quickly get to the point where the scuba tank pressure is to low to be of much use.
Personally, I'd get the K valve. 200 din valves are not as common in this country and you might find you'll likely find you have less options in getting it filled. Also, Yokes are only $50 from Pilkingtons- not $100. I have one from Pilkington's and it suits me fine.

pdeal-at-mylanlabs.com.42866.42863
pdeal

PS

Post by pdeal »

Also, I am an old scuba diver. I have had more corrosion problems with aluminum tanks than steel but it can be a problem with both. If you ever have to drain the air out of your scuba tank do it slowly- over the course of a few hours or as long as you can stand. Letting it out too quickly cools the valve and causes condensation in the tank. This is a lesson I learned the hard way.
pdeal-at-mylanlabs.com.42867.42866
Michael

Re: PS

Post by Michael »

Thanks pdeal, It looks like an aluminum tank and either 200 DIN or K valve with adapter. I suppose I could get the 200 DIN and then if I ever was in a jam and couldn't find a dive shop that could fill the DIN I could buy a K valve and have it put in the tank for about $60. That would be another option. I really think that I'll probably keep the scuba tank filled at my local dive shop so it wouldn't really matter if I got a DIN valve. I would think that one fill would last me over a year of intensive shooting, but maybe I'm all wet.
: Also, I am an old scuba diver. I have had more corrosion problems with aluminum tanks than steel but it can be a problem with both. If you ever have to drain the air out of your scuba tank do it slowly- over the course of a few hours or as long as you can stand. Letting it out too quickly cools the valve and causes condensation in the tank. This is a lesson I learned the hard way.

pilkguns

read this

Post by pilkguns »

follow the link
Bob

Post by Bob »

".....I'm going with the DIN valve...."
Randy, My 2 cents, It's your call, BUT read the Pilkguns reference and posts from others. Get the K valve an NOT the DIN valve. Even though my local dive shop could get and can fill either one he told me to go with the K valve because that way anywhere in the US I could get it filled, where with the DIN you may not. Again your call but when an experienced Dive shop instructor, who can sell me either one on my new tank, suggests to me that I should go this way Vs the other I listened. I too was leaning the way you are thinking and figured I'd listen to experience. In his travels around the country and world he said you will always be able to get the K valve filled, not so with the DIN.
Randy

Post by Randy »

Your right that the K valves are the predoomint valve in this country and that is because they are cheap. That is why I went to the Scuba Pro valve the removable center piece that screws into the DIN Valve allows the scuba compressor fitting that are normally used on a K valve. When you are ready to fill your air gun just unscrew the center piece from the DIN Valve. Their are other adaptors you can buy that also screw into a DIN Valve that will allow a scuba shop to use the regular compressor fittings that they use on their K valves.

: ".....I'm going with the DIN valve...."
: Randy, My 2 cents, It's your call, BUT read the Pilkguns reference and posts from others. Get the K valve an NOT the DIN valve. Even though my local dive shop could get and can fill either one he told me to go with the K valve because that way anywhere in the US I could get it filled, where with the DIN you may not. Again your call but when an experienced Dive shop instructor, who can sell me either one on my new tank, suggests to me that I should go this way Vs the other I listened. I too was leaning the way you are thinking and figured I'd listen to experience. In his travels around the country and world he said you will always be able to get the K valve filled, not so with the DIN.

randy-at-srv.net.42898.42879
Michael

Post by Michael »

Randy,
I want to explore all the possibilities before I jump in, so I appreciate your info. According to the stats I got online the XS Scuba Pro Valve is rated at 2650 psi. I thought that this might not work with a 3000 psi aluminum tank or would limit the pressure. Is this correct or do they make a XS Scuba pro valve that is rated at 3000 psi? These thoughts got me leaning towards the OMS Non-Mudular DIN/ K Valve which can be converted back and forth and is rated at 3000 psi.
: Your right that the K valves are the predoomint valve in this country and that is because they are cheap. That is why I went to the Scuba Pro valve the removable center piece that screws into the DIN Valve allows the scuba compressor fitting that are normally used on a K valve. When you are ready to fill your air gun just unscrew the center piece from the DIN Valve. Their are other adaptors you can buy that also screw into a DIN Valve that will allow a scuba shop to use the regular compressor fittings that they use on their K valves.
:
: : ".....I'm going with the DIN valve...."
: : Randy, My 2 cents, It's your call, BUT read the Pilkguns reference and posts from others. Get the K valve an NOT the DIN valve. Even though my local dive shop could get and can fill either one he told me to go with the K valve because that way anywhere in the US I could get it filled, where with the DIN you may not. Again your call but when an experienced Dive shop instructor, who can sell me either one on my new tank, suggests to me that I should go this way Vs the other I listened. I too was leaning the way you are thinking and figured I'd listen to experience. In his travels around the country and world he said you will always be able to get the K valve filled, not so with the DIN.

Randy

Post by Randy »

: Randy,
: I want to explore all the possibilities before I jump in, so I appreciate your info. According to the stats I got online the XS Scuba Pro Valve is rated at 2650 psi. I thought that this might not work with a 3000 psi aluminum tank or would limit the pressure. Is this correct or do they make a XS Scuba pro valve that is rated at 3000 psi? These thoughts got me leaning towards the OMS Non-Mudular DIN/ K Valve which can be converted back and forth and is rated at 3000 psi.
I have 3000 PSI rate Scuba Pro valve on my tank, so they must make them. I couldn't tell you which model it is since I bought used from a scuba shop that is no longer in business.

randy-at-srv.net.43073.42902
Jan Beckerman

Post by Jan Beckerman »

I'm trying to find any manufacturers of Carbon Fiber Scuba Tanks. Could you please email me if you know of any?

: Hi Michael
: I suspect 2250 psi is near the low end for any kind of extended session.
: Most CA AP's run at about 70 BAR (= 1015Jdrry ). Recall that every time you refill the AP cylinder the pressure in the Scuba tank will decrease. I suspect you would be making many trips to the refill station if the max pressure is 2250 psi.
: I suspect that fifteen years from now we will be shooting alloy pellets with pistols powered by emf forces. Don't worry about the short life of aluminum tanks :)
: I wish I could afford one of the 4500 psi carbon fiber tanks with a reducing valve. I probably would not have to refill the rascal every other year. ( I have to commute to another town to get a refill. )
: --Jerry

jbeckerm-at-optonline.net.43494.42862