Glasses & stuff

old, good http://www.midcoast.com/~pilkguns/bbs/

Moderators: rexifelis, pilkguns

Bob H

Glasses & stuff

Post by Bob H »

After 20 years hiatus I'm trying to get back into target shooting. Bought an IZH-46M (open sights) for shooting here at home since it seems the center fire revolvers have become less acceptable in the neighborhood. The IZH is a neat unit, but the sights have become much fuzzier over the years. These progressive bifocals have me pulling my hair out -- looking thru the bottom (tilting head back) since I'm far sighted in the right eye. By the time I pick up the front blade and get it sharp with the rear pretty sharp my something less than steady hold has become earthquake looking. I can pick up the sights much better with my nearsighted left eye, but that cross eyed shooting is mighty clumsy feeling to me. Forget about both eyes open.
I've seen the Merrit adjustable aperature advertised and also have read about bifocal users needing special glasses, but have no first hand knowledge of either. I've been looking for information on this stuff, but have not found much -- so am asking some of you guys with not perfect eyes for a little guidance. I've never used a scoped handgun and would rather not unless iron sights are hopeless.
BTW, this is a whole new level of precision to me. I've read about putting them all in the same hole offhand from 33 feet. So far, I'm lucky to have the first 100 to have stayed in the 5" trap sitting 37' down the hall. You guys are unbelievable!!
chrisbobhuff-at-worldnet.att.net.43236.0
LesJ

Re: Glasses & stuff

Post by LesJ »

Here are cuple places where you can read about your problem:www.pilkguns.com/c16.htm and:
www.nygord-precision.com go to Nygord's Notes and The Eyes Have It.
Craig E.

Post by Craig E. »

Hi Bob,
I can readily identify with your experience. For me it was only 15 years, but the eye thing is about the same. I have read the info as you have been directed by others and it truly helps. For me, the answer was to go back one prescription (also in progressives) where the sight focus is clearer. That, of course, means that the target is blurrier (not all bad) and I have to be more careful counting out pellets etc.
It has been almost a year now, (I started back with an IZH 46) and am beginning to feel like I might belong in some competitions...not necessarily at the top of the heap....yet, but at least respectable. Keep at it....this is fun!
Craig

: After 20 years hiatus I'm trying to get back into target shooting. Bought an IZH-46M (open sights) for shooting here at home since it seems the center fire revolvers have become less acceptable in the neighborhood. The IZH is a neat unit, but the sights have become much fuzzier over the years. These progressive bifocals have me pulling my hair out -- looking thru the bottom (tilting head back) since I'm far sighted in the right eye. By the time I pick up the front blade and get it sharp with the rear pretty sharp my something less than steady hold has become earthquake looking. I can pick up the sights much better with my nearsighted left eye, but that cross eyed shooting is mighty clumsy feeling to me. Forget about both eyes open.
: I've seen the Merrit adjustable aperature advertised and also have read about bifocal users needing special glasses, but have no first hand knowledge of either. I've been looking for information on this stuff, but have not found much -- so am asking some of you guys with not perfect eyes for a little guidance. I've never used a scoped handgun and would rather not unless iron sights are hopeless.
: BTW, this is a whole new level of precision to me. I've read about putting them all in the same hole offhand from 33 feet. So far, I'm lucky to have the first 100 to have stayed in the 5" trap sitting 37' down the hall. You guys are unbelievable!!

alance2002-at-yahoo.com.43239.43236
LesJ

Post by LesJ »

Just as a guideline, I use only reading glasses about +1.5 and use +1.0 in my shooting glasses
garyn

get shooting glasses

Post by garyn »

Check the links that Les provided.
And do yourself a favor and get a pair of shooting glasses. I did and it made a world of difference. Like you I could not focus on my front sight, now with my shooting glasses, I can focus on the front sight and pistol shooting is more fun.
An advice, if you need reading glasses, consider making your shooting glasses as follows:
- Aiming eye as per article for the front sight
- non aiming eye for normal distance prescription, so you can see where you are walking.
- Bifocal reading prescription on the bottom of the non-aiming eye. Or, you could also have the bifocal made "small" and LOW, and put it on both lens. The trick here is to not interfeer with the aiming eye. If you don't have your reading prescription, you can't read anything on the bench. My pellet looks like a grey blob, and I could not read my rear sight to know which way to adjust it.
Gud luk
Gary
Rodm

Post by Rodm »

I also started shooting again after a long layoff with the IZH. I used a pair of glasses that I had made for working on the computer. They worked OK but I later got a pair of "shooting glasses" with an iris. I would recomend the Varga sold at Pelguns. They are the best value in shooting glasses. You should be close enough to your reading length to be able to see the stuff on your shooting bench. At least I have no problems and I bearly check out at 400/20. They will make your shooting experienc more enjoyable.
: After 20 years hiatus I'm trying to get back into target shooting. Bought an IZH-46M (open sights) for shooting here at home since it seems the center fire revolvers have become less acceptable in the neighborhood. The IZH is a neat unit, but the sights have become much fuzzier over the years. These progressive bifocals have me pulling my hair out -- looking thru the bottom (tilting head back) since I'm far sighted in the right eye. By the time I pick up the front blade and get it sharp with the rear pretty sharp my something less than steady hold has become earthquake looking. I can pick up the sights much better with my nearsighted left eye, but that cross eyed shooting is mighty clumsy feeling to me. Forget about both eyes open.
: I've seen the Merrit adjustable aperature advertised and also have read about bifocal users needing special glasses, but have no first hand knowledge of either. I've been looking for information on this stuff, but have not found much -- so am asking some of you guys with not perfect eyes for a little guidance. I've never used a scoped handgun and would rather not unless iron sights are hopeless.
: BTW, this is a whole new level of precision to me. I've read about putting them all in the same hole offhand from 33 feet. So far, I'm lucky to have the first 100 to have stayed in the 5" trap sitting 37' down the hall. You guys are unbelievable!!

ramadsen-at-iname.com.43248.43236
bill177

Post by bill177 »

I managed to find a set of 1 diopter glasses. I can place the front sight into focus and keep the target slightly fuzzy. All is fine - except the rear sight is fuzzy. This makes it very difficult to shoot accurately.
I am thinking an iris may be the answer. Comments?
airgun-at-despammed.com.43258.43236
LesJ

Post by LesJ »

It will help. Do not expect to see everything sharp, in fact you don't want to see bull sharp. Maybe little more powerful lens will help you with rear sight. When that doesn't fix the problem iris will, but don't be tempted to close iris all the way down. Picture is going to get sharp, but that where the danger is, because your attention is going to shift to bull or sight- bull alignment and when you are paying attention to that, who is watching and paying attention to sight alignment.
So the key is use only enough to help you with sights and not with the bull.
Bob H

Thanks for the advise

Post by Bob H »

Today I ordered an iris from Merit. Ed @ Merit suggested I try the iris before spending more on glasses & that sounds reasonable. If focus is still a problem I'll probably have a shooting eye lens ground to middle distance vision like some of you have said.
Thanks again
Bob
chrisbobhuff-at-worldnet.att.net.43327.43236