Off Topic ..a caution

old, good http://www.midcoast.com/~pilkguns/bbs/

Moderators: rexifelis, pilkguns

Craig E.

Off Topic ..a caution

Post by Craig E. »

Not a 10M item, but I should like to suggest that all of you check your bank balances often.....daily is not bad. If it weren't for a depsoit that I made today (and felt the balance on the receipt was a little low), I would not have discovered that there were three ATM withdrawls made at a machine over 100 miles away....and the card was in my wallet and no one except my wife knows the PIN. The hassle of dealing with the bank, the police and the time consumed suggest that a simple check of the balance and transaction records can keep your losses to a minimum. Sad but wiser for the experience. And glad that it was only $500. Bad enough. Had to gripe somewhere and figured others might benefit from the incident. Thanks for indulging me. Craig
alance2002-at-yahoo.com.43130.0
Donald Matzeder

Re: Off Topic ..a caution

Post by Donald Matzeder »

I hope you are not saying that you had to absorb the loss. It is obvious that the bank card system is not secure and the money stolen was from the bank, not you. The fact that they used your account does not make it your responcibility.

Not a 10M item, but I should like to suggest that all of you check your bank balances often.....daily is not bad. If it weren't for a depsoit that I made today (and felt the balance on the receipt was a little low), I would not have discovered that there were three ATM withdrawls made at a machine over 100 miles away....and the card was in my wallet and no one except my wife knows the PIN. The hassle of dealing with the bank, the police and the time consumed suggest that a simple check of the balance and transaction records can keep your losses to a minimum. Sad but wiser for the experience. And glad that it was only $500. Bad enough. Had to gripe somewhere and figured others might benefit from the incident. Thanks for indulging me. Craig

matzeder-at-direcpc.com.43131.43130
Jerry

Post by Jerry »

I had somewhat the same thing happen to me a few months ago, someone used my checking account number and made deposits into my account with bogus checks, depositing as much as $3000.00 and getting 1500.00 to 1800.00 back in cash. As the balance in the account was sufficent, the teller happily gave the guy cash back. This happened over the course of several days, then the bogus checks he deposited started to bounce. In one day I received letters from the bank with three seperate deposits, that the funds deposited were bogus. The bank did return all of my funds, but it was a hassle to have to open new accounts, and took a while for things to settle down, get drafts back working etc. Check your accounts and your credit files often. Its a shame but there are always those trying to get one up on the guy thats trying to do the right thing.
: Not a 10M item, but I should like to suggest that all of you check your bank balances often.....daily is not bad. If it weren't for a depsoit that I made today (and felt the balance on the receipt was a little low), I would not have discovered that there were three ATM withdrawls made at a machine over 100 miles away....and the card was in my wallet and no one except my wife knows the PIN. The hassle of dealing with the bank, the police and the time consumed suggest that a simple check of the balance and transaction records can keep your losses to a minimum. Sad but wiser for the experience. And glad that it was only $500. Bad enough. Had to gripe somewhere and figured others might benefit from the incident. Thanks for indulging me. Craig

Frank H.

Happened to me once, after buying pizza with credit card

Post by Frank H. »

Shortly after using a credit card to pay for a couple of pizza's, I started getting $300 and $500 charges, all done on the Internet, buying gift certificates...
It was some young punk who was surprised when I got with the places he'd used my card at, I got his "gift certificates" cancelled and got my money back, all of it.
Then I got my card re-issued with a new number.
Like Don M. said, your liability is generally limited to the first $50 and the rest is the bank's liability, though I think that only applies to Visa logo transactions.
One does have to keep the boots pulled up high.
Frank H.
Stephanie Litz

Re: More caution

Post by Stephanie Litz »

Always tear up your receipts that are left behind. Many stores have their swipe machines set to print out your entire credit card number and exp. date. If they go to an online site to shop using your numbers, that does not require a pin, then they might get away with it. Many more web sites are requiring other information as well as YOUR address information to match with that on the card.
**Another caution: folks who are technologically inclined have created what are called "wedges." They are little black boxes kind of like pagers that waiters wear at resturants. The waiters/waitresses are paid X$ a week to wear the wedge and swipe people's credit cards through them. Basically it is making a duplicate of all of the information about you and your account that is contained in the mag. stripe on the back of the card. Your card still works but the crooks get the wedge back from the waiters and strip the info off to create fradulent credit cards.
I work in the credit card industry, so I had to throw my 2 cents in.
Take care!
litz10x-at-hotmail.com.43140.43130
Craig E.

Post by Craig E. »

: I hope you are not saying that you had to absorb the loss. It is obvious that the bank card system is not secure and the money stolen was from the bank, not you. The fact that they used your account does not make it your responcibility.
Great to have this viewpoint....I hadn't really thought of it yet....will follow with bank TODAY!
:
: Not a 10M item, but I should like to suggest that all of you check your bank balances often.....daily is not bad. If it weren't for a depsoit that I made today (and felt the balance on the receipt was a little low), I would not have discovered that there were three ATM withdrawls made at a machine over 100 miles away....and the card was in my wallet and no one except my wife knows the PIN. The hassle of dealing with the bank, the police and the time consumed suggest that a simple check of the balance and transaction records can keep your losses to a minimum. Sad but wiser for the experience. And glad that it was only $500. Bad enough. Had to gripe somewhere and figured others might benefit from the incident. Thanks for indulging me. Craig

alance2002-at-yahoo.com.43142.43131
JC Lopez

Post by JC Lopez »

Not in a million years...
IT IS THE BANKS MONEY, not yours.
It happened to me 2 years ago, in 2 days the crooks stole 6,500,oo from my account.
It is a pain in the neck but the bank is resposible for those fraudulent transactions.
YOu can build up your case using your past three statments to show your regular spending behavior and try to find a legal transaction close in time to one of the fraudulent to prove the inposibility to be at the same time 100 miles away.
For me was kindoff easy because I live in Boca Raton FL and I was using my card on a gas station at 7:16pm and the crook was using the ghost card two minutes later in a jewelery in Key Largo wich is 110 miles south, so check your statments, almost everyone of us uses the cards always paying the same average amount of money and always in the same kind of items and stores, so its easy to show the bank that some odd amounts on places out of your spending usual area.
But by no means let the bank get your money, fight, fight, fight, the bank is insured for tose kind of mishaps and your money is also, so the only thing your are going to loose is TIME because is a real slow proceess
good luck
Juan

Billy Lo

Post by Billy Lo »

Hi Craig,
Hey not only check you account balances but check your credit card statements online. I did so the other day and someone had charged over 800 dollars on my account for cell phone stuff and a limo! Someone made a duplicate credit card, all it takes is a swipe of your card and they can steal all the info. Hope my alerting them to the situation helped catch someone or at least stopped them faster.
Also if you carry one of those debit cards, get rid of it. Someone can clean out your bank account and the bank isn't responsible.
B
medbill-at-hvc.rr.com.43149.43130