Army Teams at Camp Perry... what happnd?

old, good http://www.midcoast.com/~pilkguns/bbs/

Moderators: rexifelis, pilkguns

Alex

Army Teams at Camp Perry... what happnd?

Post by Alex »

I was looking at the scores from Perry and it looks like the Army (AMU(teams got ruffed up in the team matches- both in smallbore 3_P and in smallbore prone.
In one case they got beat by juniors (nothing against them, as there are some mighty-fine ones in the US of A).
I saw prevvious that a jr. camp in RFhode Island is being taught by the AMU. Maybe it should be the other way around- the jr.s put on a camp for the Army (it's a joke... but maybe not...)
OK,, the AMU is typically the best team in the US, but what the heck is going on down there? Seriously folks.... this is hard to believe.

Alexander
Michèle

Re: Army Teams at Camp Perry... what happnd?

Post by Michèle »

: I was looking at the scores from Perry and it looks like the Army (AMU(teams got ruffed up in the team matches- both in smallbore 3_P and in smallbore prone.
: In one case they got beat by juniors (nothing against them, as there are some mighty-fine ones in the US of A).
: I saw prevvious that a jr. camp in RFhode Island is being taught by the AMU. Maybe it should be the other way around- the jr.s put on a camp for the Army (it's a joke... but maybe not...)
: OK,, the AMU is typically the best team in the US, but what the heck is going on down there? Seriously folks.... this is hard to believe.
:
: Alexander

Individuals on the Army team did do well at Perry, though, yes, they did not beat out all the competition in the team events. 3rd and 4th place overall in prone were taken by AMU shooters. I don't recall off the top of my head the 3P results.
What happened? Other teams performed better.
I think that there are a number of factors that one may well consider.
First, the AMU sent a very small contingent to Perry. With seven of its soldiers preparing to represent the US at the Pan American Games, not all of the AMU squad was available to compete at Perry.
Shooting Conventional Smallbore and shooting International Smallbore are very different. The AMU squad is an INTERNATIONAL squad. They spend the majority of their training time on covered ranges with wind screens. Perry affords much different conditions. Very few members of the US National Team will even compete at Perry. In the years that they have, most have not finished anywhere near the top. It's kind of like comparing softball and baseball; there are similarities but one is far from identical to the other. The AMU makes the transition very well, but it is not something that they spend a lot of time practicing.
I don't know if you had a chance to shoot at Perry this year, but the addition of the pop up targets created some unique wind conditions to contend with. I do not think that it was coincidence that the teams that faired the best were squadded a considerable distance from these moguls. The AMU was practically on top of them in 3P.
As for the reference to the Rhode Island camp, I am the director for that camp and can assure you that the AMU has made a considerable impact on the junior shooters of this country. Many of the juniors that have done so well have benefitted directly from the AMU. They serve not only as educational resources to the sport but as role models.
(note: the Rhode Island camp is NOT an AMU camp. AMU members make up only a component of the coaching staff)

makpak3200-at-earthlink.net.42895.42894
Anon

Excuses.

Post by Anon »

You don't need to make excuses for the Army, or anyone else. They are a good team, and were beat fair& square by a bunch of juniors.
ISSF shooters? Not the best team? Hogwash.

: : I was looking at the scores from Perry and it looks like the Army (AMU(teams got ruffed up in the team matches- both in smallbore 3_P and in smallbore prone.
: : In one case they got beat by juniors (nothing against them, as there are some mighty-fine ones in the US of A).
: : I saw prevvious that a jr. camp in RFhode Island is being taught by the AMU. Maybe it should be the other way around- the jr.s put on a camp for the Army (it's a joke... but maybe not...)
: : OK,, the AMU is typically the best team in the US, but what the heck is going on down there? Seriously folks.... this is hard to believe.
: :
: : Alexander
:
: Individuals on the Army team did do well at Perry, though, yes, they did not beat out all the competition in the team events. 3rd and 4th place overall in prone were taken by AMU shooters. I don't recall off the top of my head the 3P results.
: What happened? Other teams performed better.
: I think that there are a number of factors that one may well consider.
: First, the AMU sent a very small contingent to Perry. With seven of its soldiers preparing to represent the US at the Pan American Games, not all of the AMU squad was available to compete at Perry.
: Shooting Conventional Smallbore and shooting International Smallbore are very different. The AMU squad is an INTERNATIONAL squad. They spend the majority of their training time on covered ranges with wind screens. Perry affords much different conditions. Very few members of the US National Team will even compete at Perry. In the years that they have, most have not finished anywhere near the top. It's kind of like comparing softball and baseball; there are similarities but one is far from identical to the other. The AMU makes the transition very well, but it is not something that they spend a lot of time practicing.
: I don't know if you had a chance to shoot at Perry this year, but the addition of the pop up targets created some unique wind conditions to contend with. I do not think that it was coincidence that the teams that faired the best were squadded a considerable distance from these moguls. The AMU was practically on top of them in 3P.
: As for the reference to the Rhode Island camp, I am the director for that camp and can assure you that the AMU has made a considerable impact on the junior shooters of this country. Many of the juniors that have done so well have benefitted directly from the AMU. They serve not only as educational resources to the sport but as role models.
: (note: the Rhode Island camp is NOT an AMU camp. AMU members make up only a component of the coaching staff)

Emily

Re: Excuses.

Post by Emily »

Right On Anon...!

: You don't need to make excuses for the Army, or anyone else. They are a good team, and were beat fair& square by a bunch of juniors.
: ISSF shooters? Not the best team? Hogwash.

:
: : : I was looking at the scores from Perry and it looks like the Army (AMU(teams got ruffed up in the team matches- both in smallbore 3_P and in smallbore prone.
: : : In one case they got beat by juniors (nothing against them, as there are some mighty-fine ones in the US of A).
: : : I saw prevvious that a jr. camp in RFhode Island is being taught by the AMU. Maybe it should be the other way around- the jr.s put on a camp for the Army (it's a joke... but maybe not...)
: : : OK,, the AMU is typically the best team in the US, but what the heck is going on down there? Seriously folks.... this is hard to believe.
: : :
: : : Alexander
: :
: : Individuals on the Army team did do well at Perry, though, yes, they did not beat out all the competition in the team events. 3rd and 4th place overall in prone were taken by AMU shooters. I don't recall off the top of my head the 3P results.
: : What happened? Other teams performed better.
: : I think that there are a number of factors that one may well consider.
: : First, the AMU sent a very small contingent to Perry. With seven of its soldiers preparing to represent the US at the Pan American Games, not all of the AMU squad was available to compete at Perry.
: : Shooting Conventional Smallbore and shooting International Smallbore are very different. The AMU squad is an INTERNATIONAL squad. They spend the majority of their training time on covered ranges with wind screens. Perry affords much different conditions. Very few members of the US National Team will even compete at Perry. In the years that they have, most have not finished anywhere near the top. It's kind of like comparing softball and baseball; there are similarities but one is far from identical to the other. The AMU makes the transition very well, but it is not something that they spend a lot of time practicing.
: : I don't know if you had a chance to shoot at Perry this year, but the addition of the pop up targets created some unique wind conditions to contend with. I do not think that it was coincidence that the teams that faired the best were squadded a considerable distance from these moguls. The AMU was practically on top of them in 3P.
: : As for the reference to the Rhode Island camp, I am the director for that camp and can assure you that the AMU has made a considerable impact on the junior shooters of this country. Many of the juniors that have done so well have benefitted directly from the AMU. They serve not only as educational resources to the sport but as role models.
: : (note: the Rhode Island camp is NOT an AMU camp. AMU members make up only a component of the coaching staff)