Preferable Shooting Clothing?

old, good http://www.midcoast.com/~pilkguns/bbs/

Moderators: rexifelis, pilkguns

Donavan Eason

Preferable Shooting Clothing?

Post by Donavan Eason »

I was just wanting to get everyone's opinion on what type of shooting clothing would be good to purchase. I am looking at buying a full new outfit but I'm just questioning exactly what to look for. Anyone have any dislikes/like on one clothing manufacturer over another? Thanks for the time.
gopats67-at-yahoo.com.42977.0
AB

MONARD- is the best!!

Post by AB »

: I was just wanting to get everyone's opinion on what type of shooting clothing would be good to purchase. I am looking at buying a full new outfit but I'm just questioning exactly what to look for. Anyone have any dislikes/like on one clothing manufacturer over another? Thanks for the time.

David

Re: Preferable Shooting Clothing?

Post by David »

: In my opinion, it all comes down to personal opinion. Fit is key, so custom equipment is the best way to go, but costs more. However, the custom gear will generally last much longer. Remember, fit is more important than stiffness. The next thing to consider is what design you prefer. Thune, Sauer, etc, all have slighlty different designs, but they all meet the same thickness, stiffness, and fit regulations at the end of the day.
On the subject of Monard being the best. Well, like I said, it's all about your personal opinion. I know several shooters who use Monard, both of whom had trouble passing thickness at equipment control at NCAA championships and at Junior Olympics. For these reasons, I do not feel that Monard is worth the money. Their prices went up $100, too, so it is no longer the bargin it once was. Why pay so much for a suit that won't pass equipment control? All fairness to Monard, they may have fixed this problem, but it does appear to be wide spread, especially at NCAA's.
Kurt Thune does guarantee the thickness and stiffness of their product. They offer a free repair service, and, I believe, a 5 year guarantee on certain aspects for their gear. I'm sure Sauer and the others do the same, but I remember a post Nancy Johnson wrote stating that Kurt Thune would personally stand behind his equipment to guarantee it's quality. I shoot with Thune, and the quality is something that no other manufacture has been able to match, but it's all opinion. Also, thune has won more medals than any other company since it began to export from Finnland.
Thing to remember, it's not the suit, it's the shooter in the suit that gets the points. The fit is only as good as your measurements, and it's the mental image of having the best eqiupment that counts.
Joacim

Re: Preferable Shooting Clothing?

Post by Joacim »

: : In my opinion, it all comes down to personal opinion. Fit is key, so custom equipment is the best way to go, but costs more. However, the custom gear will generally last much longer. Remember, fit is more important than stiffness. The next thing to consider is what design you prefer. Thune, Sauer, etc, all have slighlty different designs, but they all meet the same thickness, stiffness, and fit regulations at the end of the day.
: On the subject of Monard being the best. Well, like I said, it's all about your personal opinion. I know several shooters who use Monard, both of whom had trouble passing thickness at equipment control at NCAA championships and at Junior Olympics. For these reasons, I do not feel that Monard is worth the money. Their prices went up $100, too, so it is no longer the bargin it once was. Why pay so much for a suit that won't pass equipment control? All fairness to Monard, they may have fixed this problem, but it does appear to be wide spread, especially at NCAA's.
: Kurt Thune does guarantee the thickness and stiffness of their product. They offer a free repair service, and, I believe, a 5 year guarantee on certain aspects for their gear. I'm sure Sauer and the others do the same, but I remember a post Nancy Johnson wrote stating that Kurt Thune would personally stand behind his equipment to guarantee it's quality. I shoot with Thune, and the quality is something that no other manufacture has been able to match, but it's all opinion. Also, thune has won more medals than any other company since it began to export from Finnland.
: Thing to remember, it's not the suit, it's the shooter in the suit that gets the points. The fit is only as good as your measurements, and it's the mental image of having the best eqiupment that counts.

Joacim Trybom

Monard

Post by Joacim Trybom »

I would like to add to the discussion that the thickness problems was relating to a specific lot of material that was used in 2000. The material has since being updated an all our products are made per latest ISSF rules.
There were 4 suits in the US out of about 50 that was too thick and we have worked with each shooter to find a solution. All of our equipment sold subsequent has passsed equipment controls at National and International matches without problems.
We work together with Monard to make sure all products are to the highest standards and we stand behind the products.
Having said that -
when you look for new equipment try to find a set of each brand (I would recommend Monard or Thune) and try them on. All brands and models make thier jackets slightly different which will make one model fit one person while not another. Once you tried them on you will have a better feel for which one will fit you.
Good Luck finding an outfit!
Joacim Trybom

joacim-at-trybom.com.42999.42991
Michael Ray

Re: Monard

Post by Michael Ray »

Joacim,
I just sent you an email since you seem to have trouble getting mine.