Pulse in Prone

old, good http://www.midcoast.com/~pilkguns/bbs/

Moderators: rexifelis, pilkguns

David

Pulse in Prone

Post by David »

I shoot prone with a 2013 smallbore rifle (2313 stock) and a 2002 air rifle. At the USAS Nationals and in training before the match, I noticed that I had a pulse coming through the sling (at least that's where I think it is coming from). Using a Noptel system I first noticed the pulse as it created an oval trace from the ten to the eight ring. I noticed it first with the smallbore rifle, and now in air rifle as well. Does anyone else have a solution to stop the pulse from coming through the sling, or do I just have to live with it. I have tried moving the sling up, down and adjusting the pull to inside and outside. Any other suggestions? Has anyone ever successfully shot prone between pulses? I have a good sling and have recently switched to a custom jacket, so I do not believe that the fit of the equipment is at fault.
Thanks for the help,
David
Deamiot-at-aol.com.42783.0
Sure Clean

Re: Pulse in Prone

Post by Sure Clean »

: I shoot prone with a 2013 smallbore rifle (2313 stock) and a 2002 air rifle. At the USAS Nationals and in training before the match, I noticed that I had a pulse coming through the sling (at least that's where I think it is coming from).
One thing you may also pay attention to is only leave the top two buttons of the jacket connected and the others unhooked. Ensure that you right leg (right handed shooter)is bent at the knee to fascilatate getting your the weight shifted to your pelvis on the left side and allowing the diaghram to keep mostly off the floor. This helps in allowing the breathing and pulse from bouncing back from the floor. Some noticable pulse is going to be normal. And shoot consciously when the beat is flatlined. With practice the subconscience will start doing this automatically.
Keep the sling tension more to the outside of the arm and less to the inside due to the major artery that runs through it. Also watch how much tension you apply to the sling where it wraps around your arm. Keeping it somewhat loose (2 fingers). Also pulse can also be transfered normally thrue the cheek piece.
Hope all this well help.

Stephanie Litz

Post by Stephanie Litz »

Another thing you could try is taking the "meat" (the big black bulky part) of your forestop off and using only the rail-like forestop part that slides into the rail of the rifle (just the part that your sling clicks in to. Several shooters do this because it straightens the hand out, which might reduce the pulse you are picking up. It's not for everyone, but give it a try. If you need further detail, please let me know and I'll be glad to help.
litz10x-at-hotmail.com.42802.42783
JP O'Connor

Post by JP O'Connor »

: I shoot prone with a 2013 smallbore rifle (2313 stock) and a 2002 air rifle. At the USAS Nationals and in training before the match, I noticed that I had a pulse coming through the sling (at least that's where I think it is coming from). Using a Noptel system I first noticed the pulse as it created an oval trace from the ten to the eight ring. I noticed it first with the smallbore rifle, and now in air rifle as well. Does anyone else have a solution to stop the pulse from coming through the sling, or do I just have to live with it. I have tried moving the sling up, down and adjusting the pull to inside and outside. Any other suggestions? Has anyone ever successfully shot prone between pulses? I have a good sling and have recently switched to a custom jacket, so I do not believe that the fit of the equipment is at fault.
: Thanks for the help,
: David

---
Often, what appears to be "pulse" is actually muscle tremor. One of the most common culprits is the bicep of the sling arm. If the natural point of aim (NPA) is slightly low, the bicep "helps" by tensing slightly to bring the rifle to center. It causes a movement that is often mistaken for pulse beat. Because of the sling tension, rifle weight, and thick clothing, it is quite difficult to sense this slight tension increase.
Check your NPA very carefully. No, *really* check it. Go through a normal shot process and then, instead of releasing the shot, close your eyes. Count "Mississippi One, " up to 5, sense to feel if you are steady, and then - and only then - open your eyes and see where you are aiming. Do not make any changes, then repeat the check. If you get the same spot twice, that's your NPA. Adjust and recheck twice again. If two checks yield different spots, check a third time. It usually matches one of the first two spots.
Your NPA must be *exactly* on the center of the target. Even if it is just *slightly* low, the bicep will be recruited and movement will increase dramatically.
"Feel Center!"
-JP

jpoc-at-acm.org.42807.42783
Ross Mason

Post by Ross Mason »

I too "suffer" from pulse. I too have attempted to get rid of it. I too "found" it with a SCATT. Oh woe!!
For years (before SCATT) I lost shots 10 & 11 oclock and sometimes WAY out. Once I saw it happening the attack was to shoot on the offbeat. Ye gods the group closed up! I have watched other SCATT traces on other "good" shots and they too have a pulse. Some bigger some smaller. There are some amazing traces around. Ones that stay inside the inner ring and more.
The cheek pressure source is one I have not tried. I will look into that. Lifting the cheek off and checking with the SCATT should show it........we'll see.
My best "listening" ear for my pulse is in my left ear. It is actually quite fun firing with a real rhthym thumping away. Ear plugs help. It really disconnects the brain from the trigger finger too.
Ross Mason
David

Thanks for all the help

Post by David »

: Thanks everyone for all the suggestions. I also shoot left handed, could the pulse come from the heart since the buttplate is located to close by? Just another thought, I'll be sure to try everything that was recommended

Craig

Post by Craig »

: I shoot prone with a 2013 smallbore rifle (2313 stock) and a 2002 air rifle. At the USAS Nationals and in training before the match, I noticed that I had a pulse coming through the sling (at least that's where I think it is coming from). Using a Noptel system I first noticed the pulse as it created an oval trace from the ten to the eight ring. I noticed it first with the smallbore rifle, and now in air rifle as well. Does anyone else have a solution to stop the pulse from coming through the sling, or do I just have to live with it. I have tried moving the sling up, down and adjusting the pull to inside and outside. Any other suggestions? Has anyone ever successfully shot prone between pulses? I have a good sling and have recently switched to a custom jacket, so I do not believe that the fit of the equipment is at fault.
: Thanks for the help,
: David

Yes, there's a pulse........if you don't believe it slip a 20X scope on the gun and watch it........even with iron sights you have to time your shots, a slow heart rate helps too.........
CraigF-at-tnh-inc.com.42834.42783
Michael Ray

Southpaws

Post by Michael Ray »

: : Thanks everyone for all the suggestions. I also shoot left handed, could the pulse come from the heart since the buttplate is located to close by?
I don't think so. I'm a southpaw, too, and my pulse beat stays within the 10 ring on Scatt though it will show as a 9 or 8 sometimes if you shoot at the wrong time in the cycle as Ross pointed out.