Which pistol is better Walther LP300 or Steyr LP10

old, good http://www.midcoast.com/~pilkguns/bbs/

Moderators: rexifelis, pilkguns

Hawkeye

Which pistol is better Walther LP300 or Steyr LP10

Post by Hawkeye »

I have started shooting pistol about a year ago and want to buy a air-pistol and would like to know the pros and cons of the Steyr LP10 and Walther LP300, I ahve heard that the Walther LP300 has really tremendous recoil. Is this true. Please can one of the senior shooters advise. Thank you.
Hawkeye.
Steve Maly

Re: Which pistol is better Walther LP300 or Steyr LP10

Post by Steve Maly »

Realistically, if two .177 cal pellets leave two air pistols at the same velocity (adjustable in most guns), with barrels of the same length, both guns have the same recoil. The recoil must be the same, if the velocities are. Muzzle flip can be reduced; recoil cannot. I suspect both guns you mentioned produce similar results. The fit of the gun is very important, so you might try each of out. Don't forget the the recent Hammerli either, or the Morini, Pardini, and Feinwerkbau.
I shoot a Steyr LP10, and that is because I wanted to use compressed air. I also am using the same grip as I had on my old Steyr LP1CP. I just wanted to be free from CO2 lineups. I would have bought a conversion kit, but I had a better deal by selling the LP1, and buying a new LP10. I have no complaints at all. The score you get is highly dependent on the fit of the gun, and your skill level. I don't think the make of gun would have made any difference for me (or most other shooters).

smaly-at-kes.ns.ca.42345.42344
rjp

Post by rjp »

I have been shooting an LP300 for almost 2 years now. The recoil is very little, the same as any other airpistol. The muzzle flip is virtually nil, the same as the current group of other airpistols with muzzle compensators, barrels with holes drilled in the top about 60 cm from the muzzle, and moving mass balancers. If I dont jerk the trigger, the sights dont move. The main differences are fit of the grip and feel of the trigger.

Mako

Post by Mako »

All of the current match air pistols shoot virtually perfect ... yet at the World Cups and Olympics the elite shooters tend to use Steyrs and Morinis ... with a sprinkling of Pardinis (some with Morini triggers), Walthers, etc. Why is that?
The Morini doesn't have any recoil absorbers but it has it's wonderful electronic trigger (and a manometer that is useless ... but so what, you fill up the cylinders, shoot your 100/120 shots and refill it again. You should have a back up cylinder anyway.)
The Steyr LP10 seems to be the other popular match pistol with elite shooters. It's got everything one could want ...
I love my Walther LP300, best fitting grip out of the box ... confirmed by many others ... and easily adjusted to achieve perfect natural point of aim ... but my early model had reliability problems, and the trigger wouldn't hold it's settings ... but I know some of these problems have been fixed ... and have heard that there is a new trigger assemble that I would hope has taken care of the trigger problems.
Take a look at the Results from the High Noon Postal Matches ... see LINK below ... and you will see a wide variety of pistols that have helped achieved excellent scores.

makofoto-at-earthlink.net.42367.42344
Fortitudo Dei

Something else to consider

Post by Fortitudo Dei »

Putting aside issues of muzzle flip, something that you might want to consider is the method of how you load pellets into these pistols.
With the LP300 (and Morini’s & Fienwerkbau's...and a few others), you load by lifting a lever and dropping a pellet into a groove. Move the lever down, and a rod / air outlet (sorry I don't know the technical name) gently pushes the pellet into place and seals itself behind it. You can easily load pellets with your eyes closed (as I sometimes do if I’m in a particularly meditative mood when training).
With the Steyr LP10 (and I think also the Anschutz LP - any others?), lifting the lever moves a sealing block / air outlet backwards which exposes a small hole into which the pellet must be carefully inserted (i.e. not simply dropped). Returning the lever moves the cylindrical block forward into place behind the pellet. Some people may find this quite a fiddly procedure. I have quite large hands and on trying an LP10 found manipulating a tiny pellet into its little hole to be quite a drag (I managed to drop pellets a few times). No doubt if I owned one (I have a Morini), I would probably get used to the Steyr loading system – as all LP10 lovers must do. But personally, (especially during a match), loading a pellet is something I want to be as easy as possible.

Fortitudo_Dei-at-hotmail.com.remove.42383.42344
fred

Re: Something ELSE to consider

Post by fred »

: Putting aside issues of muzzle flip, something that you might want to consider is the method of how you load pellets into these pistols.
: With the LP300 (and Morini’s & Fienwerkbau's...and a few others), you load by lifting a lever and dropping a pellet into a groove. Move the lever down, and a rod / air outlet (sorry I don't know the technical name) gently pushes the pellet into place and seals itself behind it. You can easily load pellets with your eyes closed (as I sometimes do if I’m in a particularly meditative mood when training).
: With the Steyr LP10 (and I think also the Anschutz LP - any others?), lifting the lever moves a sealing block / air outlet backwards which exposes a small hole into which the pellet must be carefully inserted (i.e. not simply dropped). Returning the lever moves the cylindrical block forward into place behind the pellet. Some people may find this quite a fiddly procedure. I have quite large hands and on trying an LP10 found manipulating a tiny pellet into its little hole to be quite a drag (I managed to drop pellets a few times). No doubt if I owned one (I have a Morini), I would probably get used to the Steyr loading system – as all LP10 lovers must do. But personally, (especially during a match), loading a pellet is something I want to be as easy as possible.

Another thing that is "as easy as possible" is the ability to load more than one pellet. Once you have loaded a pellet with the trough-and-bolt system, you can't see whether or not a pellet has been loaded. If you are distracted at that point, nothing stops you from loading another. Not possible with the Steyr system. "Easy" isn't necessarily better.

frbauer-at-msn.com.42389.42383
Ali Mofidi

Post by Ali Mofidi »

: I have started shooting pistol about a year ago and want to buy a air-pistol and would like to know the pros and cons of the Steyr LP10 and Walther LP300, I ahve heard that the Walther LP300 has really tremendous recoil. Is this true. Please can one of the senior shooters advise. Thank you.
: Hawkeye.

drmofidi-at-yahoo.com.43839.42344