Compressed air pistols for jrs.

old, good http://www.midcoast.com/~pilkguns/bbs/

Moderators: rexifelis, pilkguns

jeff

Compressed air pistols for jrs.

Post by jeff »

Please help, Iam looking for information on compressed air pistols for jrs. Brands , cost ,and any personal use of them. I am thinking of starting a jr. program this fall or the first of the new year. Thank you,Jeff Battaglia
jeffbatt27-at-aol.com.42312.0
Patrick Haynes

Re: Compressed air pistols for jrs.

Post by Patrick Haynes »

Hi Jeff.
You can take a look at some of the air pistols listed on my website. From there, you can get the weight and other tech specs. I've avoided pricing because you can always work deals and every vendor has different margins.
How many pistols are you thinking and what sort of budget do you have? Lastly, what is your expected number of juniors? Depending on your budget, you might want to consider the IZH-46M: inexpensive both to buy and operate, simple but not meant for small juniors who may have problems cocking the lever. Personally, I bought one just for training other people.
Good luck with the program.
Patrick
TargetShooting Canada
haynes-at-targetshooting.ca.42314.42312
Paul T (UK)

Post by Paul T (UK) »

Slightly off topic but may help. In Scandinavia, standard competitive air pistols are used with smaller grip sizes for junior shooters. I have seen most makes used in one competition. Rather than addressing physical strength issues by reducing the weight of the pistol alone, a cradle and counterweight frame on the firing point is used so that trigger control and sighting skills are attained at an early age. This takes away snatching at the trigger when the sights are about on target as they do not have physical strength to hold the pistol. The counter balance is reduced as the junior develops strength so by the age of 15-16, they are posting formidable scores with no support and obviating bad habits. I did notice some of the juniors using their parents pistols with their own grips. As they need supervising, this keeps the costs down.
paul-at-lans.demon.co.uk.42319.42312
Will

Compressed air pistols for Jrs.

Post by Will »

: Please help, Iam looking for information on compressed air pistols for jrs. Brands , cost ,and any personal use of them. I am thinking of starting a jr. program this fall or the first of the new year. Thank you,Jeff Battaglia
Jeff -
One of the largest drawbacks in starting a Jr. air pistol program is the cost of equipment. Parents and coaches often balk when they see the costs of competition air pistols. Air rifle has come up with some quality alternatives, and also a 'sporter' class, which is getting more and more popular each year. Pistol has lagged behind.
While at the NRA National Junior Air Championships in Wilmington, NC, I was asked by many parents/coaches about air pistols for starter programs. I was supposed to have, in hand, a prototype Daisy Jr. air pistol to evaluate and show off, but it never arrived. From what I hear, it will be a true Jr. air pistol, scaled down in size (not just a regular air gun w/small grips). Its quality is said to be good and its price reasonable. When will it be released/marketed? No one is sure. When it is released, this board will hear about it.
What I am hoping for is that when this new Jr. gun hits the market, Jr. air pistol will get a huge boost in numbers. Air pistol shooting is very popular in many parts of the world, but not so in the US. I recently spoke with a Jr. air pistol shooter from India who said that at state competitions, there are over a hundred Jrs. competing. At Wilmington, we had just over 30 in air pistol. We need to change that.
Other than waiting for the new Daisy, the Russian IZH-46M is a great gun at a low cost, but the grips and weight may not be the best for Jrs. And, aftermarket grips are cost add-ons. But, at Wilmington, J3 Charlie Normington shot a 368/400 with one!
Jeff, if you have any other questions/comments, please email me.
Will

willhart-at-mit.edu.42327.42312
akihmsa

Post by akihmsa »

Jeff I would suggest you check out a 4-H shoting sports club in your area that is shooting pistol. I think you might be surprised at what you might learn. For beginning pistol anything beyond the Daisy 747 is money spent that could be put to better use. Working with jrs. is very interesting and a worthy endevor. Place the emphasis on the basics of shooting, safety, and not equipment. Fun should be a major part of your program, at most 1 in 10 will be interested in serious competition so don't bias you program towards competition only.
Hat off to you for wanting to get involved with the jrs. We need 100 more just like you!!: Please help, Iam looking for information on compressed air pistols for jrs. Brands , cost ,and any personal use of them. I am thinking of starting a jr. program this fall or the first of the new year. Thank you,Jeff Battaglia

Gary

Post by Gary »

While I do like the 747, someone needs to make a decent adjustable grip for it. w/o a palm rest it is front heavy, and I have to grip the pistol harder just so it won't slip in my hand. I would have been nice if Daisy made plastic adjustable grips rather than the non-adjustable grips. In the mean time, I found that a small square of "non skid tape" placed on the backstrap helps to reduce the slipage in the hand.
At $115 from Pilkingtons, the 747 is a deal for a starter pistol.
I'm curious about the upcoming junior pistol.
Gary

: Jeff I would suggest you check out a 4-H shoting sports club in your area that is shooting pistol. I think you might be surprised at what you might learn. For beginning pistol anything beyond the Daisy 747 is money spent that could be put to better use. Working with jrs. is very interesting and a worthy endevor. Place the emphasis on the basics of shooting, safety, and not equipment. Fun should be a major part of your program, at most 1 in 10 will be interested in serious competition so don't bias you program towards competition only.
: Hat off to you for wanting to get involved with the jrs. We need 100 more just like you!!: Please help, Iam looking for information on compressed air pistols for jrs. Brands , cost ,and any personal use of them. I am thinking of starting a jr. program this fall or the first of the new year. Thank you,Jeff Battaglia

Gary

Post by Gary »

Wouldn't the IZH-46 (not the M model) be better as it is lighter than the M model. Although the weight and balance specs are not on the site.
gary

Depending on your budget, you might want to consider the IZH-46M: inexpensive both to buy and operate, simple but not meant for small juniors who may have problems cocking the lever. Personally, I bought one just for training other people.
: Good luck with the program.
: Patrick
: TargetShooting Canada

gary

Re: Compressed air pistols for Jrs.

Post by gary »

Will, do you have any preliminary specs on it.
- SSP or CA?
- adjustable or fixed grips?
tnx...gary

I was supposed to have, in hand, a prototype Daisy Jr. air pistol to evaluate and show off, but it never arrived. From what I hear, it will be a true Jr. air pistol, scaled down in size (not just a regular air gun w/small grips). Its quality is said to be good and its price reasonable. When will it be released/marketed? No one is sure. When it is released, this board will hear about it.

Will

Compressed air pistols for Jrs.

Post by Will »

: Will, do you have any preliminary specs on it.
: - SSP or CA?
: - adjustable or fixed grips?
: tnx...gary
Gary -
From what I've been told, it will have removable compressed air cylinders and adjustable sights.
Grips? I'm not too sure, but the important thing is that it will be made for small hands, which, in my experience with Jrs., is very important. Yes, as a coach I know the value of adjustable grips, too.
Other than that, I have no other specs. I really whish I had seen the pistol at the Wilmington NRA Championships.
Will
willhart-at-mit.edu.42341.42339
jeff battaglia

Post by jeff battaglia »

To all that responded, thank you for your input. i will let you know what i decide on before the final purchase is made. again thanks, jeff

jeffbatt27-at-aol.com.42382.42312
Vikrant Mohan

Re: Compressed air pistols for Jrs.

Post by Vikrant Mohan »

Dear Jeff,
I was surfing the net when I came across your query regarding Air Pistols.
We at Rattlehead Marketing Pvt. Ltd,India, are manufacturers and sole distributors for high quality Air Pistols which is catering to this sport for over two decades now.
As you must be aware, a number of Indians have done proud by winning International level competitions in Air Pistol shooting and I can certainly assure you that all of them were not fortunate enough to begin with high priced pistols like Daisy, Bretta, Benjamin Sheradin, Dyna etc. Our products are ideal for starters as it provides both, quality and accuracy at a very reasonable cost.
With the growth in this sport, demand for these products is bound to increase and it is our constant endevour to add newer products and technology to our products to offer our customers an entire gambit for selection.
Should you be interested in knowing more about our products/models, kindly feel free to revert.
Regards,
Vikrant
vikrant_mohan-at-knac.com.43899.42327