effects of smoking on shooting?

old, good http://www.midcoast.com/~pilkguns/bbs/

Moderators: rexifelis, pilkguns

LKR

effects of smoking on shooting?

Post by LKR »

Does anyone have any opinions or know for a fact if smoking affects shooting scores and abilities? Thanks for any help.

schoolmarm_38-at-hotmail.com.41653.0
Clean Shot 22

Re: effects of smoking on shooting?

Post by Clean Shot 22 »

: Does anyone have any opinions or know for a fact if smoking affects shooting scores and abilities? Thanks for any help.
I am not a doctor, but it is my understanding that smoking raises your heart rate, and will also has some affect on your eyes. Some shaking also occurs. Long term affects would also could include breathing and all the usual things we all know about. Not a good thing, any of them. But being a former smoker I realize how difficult stopping can be. I strongly recommend quitting though and you will eventually feel all the good affects that it will bring.
Joe C.

It's a distraction keeping them lit during a match! (NT)

Post by Joe C. »

: Does anyone have any opinions or know for a fact if smoking affects shooting scores and abilities? Thanks for any help.

Alexey

Post by Alexey »

Since smoking influences directly heart rate and blood pressure it cannot leave your scores undamaged. The professional shooters I know either never smoke, or enjoy a cigarette or two after the day's shooting is over. In case you are still interested in details, there is AMU pistol shooting manual womewhere on the Web. It offers comprehensive review on drugs and chemicals which bear on shooting.
Best regards, Alexey

alexey931-at-list.ru.41664.41653
Questor

Post by Questor »

It affects things that are a lot more important than that.
Roland Cannon

Post by Roland Cannon »

It is horrible! The ashtray on the side of my LP 10 causes the pistol to feel off balance.
Seriously, everyone I have talked to says to expect at least a 10% improvement by quitting smoking. I smoke because I developed a stupid and filthy habit. To think this would not hurt my shooting scores is insane.
LArry Lohkamp

Post by LArry Lohkamp »

Nicotine affects heart rate, blood pressure, and such. It is a vasoconstrictor - makes blood vessels contract. Tars in the smoke have a long term effect on oxygen uptake by the lungs. It would seem obvious that you would see an effect on scores. Probably not. The other dumb things we do are generally far worse than a small change in pulse rate. Now, if you are good enough to expect to medal in the world championships, then you might see a difference.
If you are a smoker, there are other, more compelling reasons to give up frequent use of tobacco.
If you don't smoke and are just worried about the killer fog of second-hand smoke, then be warned that that cloud of powder and primer smoke is much more dangerous. Taking the anti-smoking propaganda at face value is as nieve as accepting the tobacco industries denials at face value. Zealots tend to bend the truth. The anti-gun lobby is a prime example of creative fact generation.
Yes, I used to smoke. No, I did not see any change in my scores that could be related to smoking. No, my scores are no different shooting next to smoking a cigar than not.

Bill Freyfogle

I recently stopped (again)

Post by Bill Freyfogle »

I quit 4 weeks ago and immediately saw an improvement in my scores. Smoking really does hurt your shooting. It does not appear to be the nicotine because I am chewing the gum and still see the scores improvement. There is something else in the smoke that causes tremours in the hand. Also, I fare much better in the sustained fire events - more air/stamina.
Bill
Freyf-at-yahoo.com.41686.41653
Berry Kooiman

Post by Berry Kooiman »

In theory it has effect but if for example Gaby Buhlmann smokes and still shoots 400 (Swiss record) and is still shooting in the top-10 I don't think it would have a big effect. Maybe she would shoot even higher without smoking, who knows!
berrykooiman-at-hotmail.com.41694.41653
JLK

Post by JLK »

Yes, I think it does effect score.
I quit smoking several years ago.
Unfortunately, as it relates to your question I was not actively shooting at the time. When I did start back (shooting that is) I noticed my hold was much steadier and breath control was much better. About that time I had a little cervical spine problem that DID effect my shooting quit a bit but I overcame that as well.
If you are a smoker and want to quit, I by all means highly recommend stopping!
Lonnie

Post by Lonnie »

Yes, smoking definitely affects shooting ability. Medically, the nicotine is almost out of your system in three days but other effects continue for several weeks. Scores will drop for about a week or so then begin climbing to higher levels than before. The ability to hold longer and steadier will be the most immediate and noticeable physical manifestation when you quit. Prove it to yourself. Chart your scores. If they don't improve six weeks after you quit I'll eat my shooting hat!

lonniemeyers-at-hotmail.com.41701.41653
anonymous anti-smoker

Post by anonymous anti-smoker »

They absolutely have an effect on your shooting.
In addition to lowering sperm count and life expectancies, cigarettes have been known to cause birth defects in laboratory animals and on human test subjects while causing thinning facial and scalpal hair while causing uncontrolled pubic hair growth. They cause your hands to become enlarged to the point where they no longer fit on the grip and damage your eyesight, as well as serve as the first warning signs of a low IQ, cancer, emphyzemia, asthma (in you and your children, as well as anyone else you smoke around), arthritis, senility, memory loss, uncontrolled pubic hair growth, uncontrolled swelling of the ear lobes, and loss of senses including sight, hearing, smell, and taste. Touch seems less affected, but many smokers report loss of ability to touch anything as non-smokers often ask them to leave the room before they have a change to touch anything. Smoking has been known to cause bad trigger control, sight misalignment (in rifle and pistol shooters), and may hamper your ability to operate heavy machinery including the family car, televisions, and blenders. They make your breath smell terrible (just ask anyone if they would want to kiss an ash tray) and cause your gun to throw shots into the three ring.
[Disclaimer: this was written by a sarcastic teenage shooter who really hates smoking. I got asthma because of a smoker in my house and I lost a grandfather to a smoking related illness. Certain artistic license was taken in the preparation of this posting (henceforth referred to as "the FLAME") as well as in its disclaimer ("the DISCLAIMER"). Please do not take offence to any remarks whatsoever in either the FLAME or the DISCLAIMER as they are simply intended as a humorous pseudopublic service announcement against the perils of smoking.]
Yes, this was intended as a joke, but do you really want to make your husband/wife/significant other/boyfriend/girlfriend/etc. lick an ashtray every night? Do you really want your kids to grow up without the full use of their lungs? Admittedly the years you take off your life by smoking are the bad ones at the end, but don't you want that time to spend with someone you love, instead of in a hospital fighting for your last breath of poisoned black smoke?
FD

Especially when shooting black powder!

Post by FD »

Not! :)
kathie l. lamb

Post by kathie l. lamb »

: They absolutely have an effect on your shooting.
: In addition to lowering sperm count and life expectancies, cigarettes have been known to cause birth defects in laboratory animals and on human test subjects while causing thinning facial and scalpal hair while causing uncontrolled pubic hair growth. They cause your hands to become enlarged to the point where they no longer fit on the grip and damage your eyesight, as well as serve as the first warning signs of a low IQ, cancer, emphyzemia, asthma (in you and your children, as well as anyone else you smoke around), arthritis, senility, memory loss, uncontrolled pubic hair growth, uncontrolled swelling of the ear lobes, and loss of senses including sight, hearing, smell, and taste. Touch seems less affected, but many smokers report loss of ability to touch anything as non-smokers often ask them to leave the room before they have a change to touch anything. Smoking has been known to cause bad trigger control, sight misalignment (in rifle and pistol shooters), and may hamper your ability to operate heavy machinery including the family car, televisions, and blenders. They make your breath smell terrible (just ask anyone if they would want to kiss an ash tray) and cause your gun to throw shots into the three ring.
: [Disclaimer: this was written by a sarcastic teenage shooter who really hates smoking. I got asthma because of a smoker in my house and I lost a grandfather to a smoking related illness. Certain artistic license was taken in the preparation of this posting (henceforth referred to as "the FLAME") as well as in its disclaimer ("the DISCLAIMER"). Please do not take offence to any remarks whatsoever in either the FLAME or the DISCLAIMER as they are simply intended as a humorous pseudopublic service announcement against the perils of smoking.]
: Yes, this was intended as a joke, but do you really want to make your husband/wife/significant other/boyfriend/girlfriend/etc. lick an ashtray every night? Do you really want your kids to grow up without the full use of their lungs? Admittedly the years you take off your life by smoking are the bad ones at the end, but don't you want that time to spend with someone you love, instead of in a hospital fighting for your last breath of poisoned black smoke?

hbird106-at-aol.com.42974.41711