IZH35m or Trailside Target

old, good http://www.midcoast.com/~pilkguns/bbs/

Moderators: rexifelis, pilkguns

Kevin

IZH35m or Trailside Target

Post by Kevin »

I'm considering purchasing a IZH35m or a Trailside target. For competitive shooting purposes which would be a better choice? Does anyone make a ten round mag for the IZH? Other suggestions in the $400 range would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Kevin
Cartershotrods-at-chartertn.net.41445.0
SB

Re: IZH35m or Trailside Target

Post by SB »

: I'm considering purchasing a IZH35m or a Trailside target. For competitive shooting purposes which would be a better choice? Does anyone make a ten round mag for the IZH? Other suggestions in the $400 range would be appreciated.
: Thanks,
: Kevin
SIG doesn't produce sport guns, Trailside is a plinker, it has plastic grips with solid little finger support, short sight radius etc. IZH is produced by experienced russian factory, has very good material and was shot at Olympics (have you heart that about Trailside?), etc.
SB

Ben Bleything

Post by Ben Bleything »

: : I'm considering purchasing a IZH35m or a Trailside target. For competitive shooting purposes which would be a better choice? Does anyone make a ten round mag for the IZH? Other suggestions in the $400 range would be appreciated.
: : Thanks,
: : Kevin
: SIG doesn't produce sport guns, Trailside is a plinker, it has plastic grips with solid little finger support, short sight radius etc. IZH is produced by experienced russian factory, has very good material and was shot at Olympics (have you heart that about Trailside?), etc.
: SB
The Trailside is built by Hammerli and imported by SIG. It's a Hammerli. Check around on other boards for peoples impressions... I asked a similar question and had just as many people tell me to get the Trailside as the IZH.
william

another thought

Post by william »

Please don't rule out a used High Standard. The ones from Hamden, CT are still competetive with anything available for much under $1000, and there is no shortage of parts, magazines or after-market goodies.

Larry Lohkamp

Post by Larry Lohkamp »

The most common, new, entry level pistol in your price range would be a target version of the Ruger MK-2. It's less than stellar trigger can be fixed and it is available with 10-round magazines for plinking. The High Standard has had production problems in their new offerings. Some people have gotten good ones and the older used ones are good. They also come with a bigger magazine than high end target guns. The Trailside was supposed to knock off the Ruger, but never really made much of a dent. It is generally maligned for its cheap execution. A few people have championed them, just as a few people managed to get good High Standards. I used to highly recommend the IZH. I still think it is a good pistol for an experienced shooter who isn't squeamish about demanding customer support. Russian machining is sometimes seriously lacking and material quality problems have recently been showing up. Some problems are cosmetic or can be fixed with a swipe of a file, others are serious safety concerns that have to go back to a less than accommodating importer.
If I was advising my son on a similar gun purchase, it would be a new Ruger or used High Standard or S&W 41 (if you can find one).
: I'm considering purchasing a IZH35m or a Trailside target. For competitive shooting purposes which would be a better choice? Does anyone make a ten round mag for the IZH? Other suggestions in the $400 range would be appreciated.

Mike Fleischer

Post by Mike Fleischer »

I shoot a IZH35M in competition it works great and I score in the mid 90's with it. I have shot over 4,000 rounds with it. BUT, I had to send back to EEA for a barrel adjustment and took a month to get it back. It shoots better than my S&W model 41 and my Ruger. I shoot with a person that has one for over 3 years and shot 25,000 rounds with no problems.

maf166-at-msn.com.41481.41445
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

: : : I'm considering purchasing a IZH35m or a Trailside target. For competitive shooting purposes which would be a better choice? Does anyone make a ten round mag for the IZH? Other suggestions in the $400 range would be appreciated.
: : : Thanks,
: : : Kevin
: : SIG doesn't produce sport guns, Trailside is a plinker, it has plastic grips with solid little finger support, short sight radius etc. IZH is produced by experienced russian factory, has very good material and was shot at Olympics (have you heart that about Trailside?), etc.
: : SB
: The Trailside is built by Hammerli and imported by SIG. It's a Hammerli. Check around on other boards for peoples impressions... I asked a similar question and had just as many people tell me to get the Trailside as the IZH.
What gun did you end up purchasing?
Thanks,
Kevin

cartershotrods-at-chartertn.net.41489.41458
Tom F

Post by Tom F »

What was the barrel adjustment?
Thanks!
: I shoot a IZH35M in competition it works great and I score in the mid 90's with it. I have shot over 4,000 rounds with it. BUT, I had to send back to EEA for a barrel adjustment and took a month to get it back. It shoots better than my S&W model 41 and my Ruger. I shoot with a person that has one for over 3 years and shot 25,000 rounds with no problems.

mail-subs-at-ev1.net.41490.41481
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Are most of these problems ones that can be done with basic machine tools (mill, lathe) or would they require return to the manufacturer? Many of the places I'm finding the IZH are offering Davidson's Lifetime Warranty. Has anyone had experience with this?
Thanks,
Kevin
: The most common, new, entry level pistol in your price range would be a target version of the Ruger MK-2. It's less than stellar trigger can be fixed and it is available with 10-round magazines for plinking. The High Standard has had production problems in their new offerings. Some people have gotten good ones and the older used ones are good. They also come with a bigger magazine than high end target guns. The Trailside was supposed to knock off the Ruger, but never really made much of a dent. It is generally maligned for its cheap execution. A few people have championed them, just as a few people managed to get good High Standards. I used to highly recommend the IZH. I still think it is a good pistol for an experienced shooter who isn't squeamish about demanding customer support. Russian machining is sometimes seriously lacking and material quality problems have recently been showing up. Some problems are cosmetic or can be fixed with a swipe of a file, others are serious safety concerns that have to go back to a less than accommodating importer.
: If I was advising my son on a similar gun purchase, it would be a new Ruger or used High Standard or S&W 41 (if you can find one).
: : I'm considering purchasing a IZH35m or a Trailside target. For competitive shooting purposes which would be a better choice? Does anyone make a ten round mag for the IZH? Other suggestions in the $400 range would be appreciated.

cartershotrods-at-chartertn.net.41491.41469
Mike Fleischer

Re: IZH35m or Trailside Target---- barrel adjustment

Post by Mike Fleischer »

: The most common, new, entry level pistol in your price range would be a target version of the Ruger MK-2. It's less than stellar trigger can be fixed and it is available with 10-round magazines for plinking. The High Standard has had production problems in their new offerings. Some people have gotten good ones and the older used ones are good. They also come with a bigger magazine than high end target guns. The Trailside was supposed to knock off the Ruger, but never really made much of a dent. It is generally maligned for its cheap execution. A few people have championed them, just as a few people managed to get good High Standards. I used to highly recommend the IZH. I still think it is a good pistol for an experienced shooter who isn't squeamish about demanding customer support. Russian machining is sometimes seriously lacking and material quality problems have recently been showing up. Some problems are cosmetic or can be fixed with a swipe of a file, others are serious safety concerns that have to go back to a less than accommodating importer.
: If I was advising my son on a similar gun purchase, it would be a new Ruger or used High Standard or S&W 41 (if you can find one).
A barrel adjustment is a term used by EAA for reworking the chamber and finishing the breach.
Mike
maf166-at-msn.com.41507.41469
Tom Martin

Post by Tom Martin »

I have an IAH35m which I bought last year with the intention of shooting competetative but I got sidetracked into other things and I will now sell it because I do not intend to use it. The gun has never been fired except at the factory and it was manufactured in March of 2002. It is brand new and in a heavy duty black plastic case lined with red velvet. If you are interested please contact me. Thank you,
Gordon
gordon1-at-sbcglobal.net.43202.41481