.32 competition pistol; which one?

old, good http://www.midcoast.com/~pilkguns/bbs/

Moderators: rexifelis, pilkguns

Heath

.32 competition pistol; which one?

Post by Heath »

I am looking at purchasing a new .32cal ISSF style pistol and i have narrowed my selection down to one of the following:
- Hammerli SP20.
- Morini CM32.
- Walther GSP Expert.
The price of the pistol is not an issue, I am looking to hear from people that have had experience in shooting these pistols (or at least one of them) who can tell me their impressions and which they prefer and why.
Thanks very much in advance for you input.
Regards
Heath
Richard

Re: .32 competition pistol; which one?

Post by Richard »

I had a Walther GSP and liked it. Like most .32's, it can benefit from rebarreling with a faster twist barrel, i.e. 1 in 10 or 1 in 12 inch twist.

govtmodel-at-budweiser.com.41420.41418
Mike McDaniel

Why are they still using the slow twist?

Post by Mike McDaniel »

: I had a Walther GSP and liked it. Like most .32's, it can benefit from rebarreling with a faster twist barrel, i.e. 1 in 10 or 1 in 12 inch twist.
:
Why are these manufacturers still using the old twist? They KNOW that the old 1-18 rate was not designed for wadcutters, and that American shooters have been rebarreling these guns for years with fast-twist barrels - and getting much better results. You would think that there would be SOME feedback.
HMSLion-at-aol.com.41425.41420
David M

Built for ISSF Centrefire.

Post by David M »

The pistols are built for shooting factory wadcutters and 25 metres.
Most countries worldwide do not shoot greater than 25m or bigger than .32 caland do they do not reload.
They are not set up for 50 yards for Bulleye or Service match, but for ISSF Centrefire.

Bob

Post by Bob »

: I am looking at purchasing a new .32cal ISSF style pistol.....
Heath, I've been shooting a Walther GSP for years and just last year updated to the new GSP Expert. I love the modular design, ease of adjustment and reliabilty of the GSP.
In this class firearm a lot of it is personal preference and the fit/balance in your hand as all are good guns and will shoot close to one hole groups.

Mike McDaniel

Ah, but the question still stands

Post by Mike McDaniel »

: The pistols are built for shooting factory wadcutters and 25 metres.
: Most countries worldwide do not shoot greater than 25m or bigger than .32 caland do they do not reload.
: They are not set up for 50 yards for Bulleye or Service match, but for ISSF Centrefire.

The point is, the old 1-18 twist was set up to stabilize round-nosed lead projectiles. Wadcutters shoot better with a faster twist. The problem is, a lot of ISSF CF shooters have accepted performance that top-flight NRA bullseye shooters would never tolerate.
Everybody expects a .22 to shoot under an inch at 25 yards, but a lot of people will put up with 2-inch groups out of a .32 - but Bullseye shooters expect a 2-inch group, or at most a 3-inch group, at 50 yards.
A .32 can deliver this performance IF the twist is right. Which is why several gunsmiths in the US are making fast-twist .32 barrels for Walther GSPs. I suspect they would make more fast-twist barrels if the guns had easily exchangable barrels.

HMSLion-at-aol.com.41440.41435
Richard Ashmore

Re: Ah, but the question still stands

Post by Richard Ashmore »

I think the answer to your question is inertia and money. The US market is a tiny one for most target pistol makers, and it's just not worth the money and effort.
govtmodel-at-budweiser.com.41442.41440
Leonard

Also consider a Manurhin Match 32...

Post by Leonard »

Superlative quality and you don't have to worry about picking cases up....
Bill Poole

Why not Pardini? Re: .32 competition pistol; which one?

Post by Bill Poole »

narrowed my selection down to one of the following:
: - Hammerli SP20.
: - Morini CM32.
: - Walther GSP Expert.
Why not the Pardini?
Since the Pardini guy is not far from here, I sorta really like that one... do you know something i don't?
http://www.nygord-precision.com/
Poole
http://arizona.rifleshooting.com/
bill-at-poole.com.41462.41418
TCK

Any barrel suuplier recommended?

Post by TCK »

I shoot a GSP Expert .32 with a .22 conversion kit. In such case, the pistol provides a very easy alternative, just change the upper frame without the need of any tools. If you want to change the trigger mechanism also, fine, it needs a hexagon screwdriver and very little time.
However, the GSP expert is a bit picky on ammos and Laupa seems to be the best choice. Some friends using PMC have problem on cycling so that on the rapid fire stage, jamming happens in a lot of occasions because the slide cannot cycle fast enough to eject the case.
BY the way, as an ISSF CF shooter, I am very interested to acquire a barrel of a faster twist if it really can improve groupings. My present test target that accompanies the pistol have a centre to centre grouping of app. 1 1/4 inch at 25 meters.
Any recommendation of supplier would be highly appreciated.
Heath

Re: Why not Pardini? Re: .32 competition pistol; which one?

Post by Heath »

I have not had the chance to use any of the current model .32cal pistols in this range before with the exception of a older style Walther GSP (not GSP Expert). So from this you can see that i do not have any first hand experience with these pistols. However by talking with a local gun dealer hear in Australia I have somewhat ruled out buying a Pardini (.22 or .32) due to reliability issues and part break downs after a few years of use.
Now before you think this particular gun dealer has recomend that i stear clear of the pardini simply because they don't happen to deal with this manufacture and would subsequently lose a particular sale you are wrong. Firstly the dealer has not stearded me clear of any pistol brands. And secondly this dealer dose stock and sell pardini pistols along with all other .32cal pistols of noted respect, and the dealer actually owns a pardini .32cal (which he personally has not had any problems with I am lead to believe). However during discussions with the this individual they indicated that of all the .32cal pistols they sell, this particular one seems to have the most problems in terms of parts wearing out alot quicker that those of other pistols. Because i have not had any experience with the various .32cal pistols on the market this is my sole reason for not rating the pardini among my top three choices.
If you have a differing oppinion or point of view regarding the pardini's then I would sure like to hear about them (this may cause me to reconsider where I place the pardini on my list).
Regards
Heath
Mike McDaniel

Earl's, Falcon Machining (ntxt)

Post by Mike McDaniel »

ntxt
HMSLion-at-aol.com.41474.41463
Mako

Post by Mako »

Although the workmanship of the GSP's is outstanding, the factory Walther GSP Expert grip was not at all to my liking ... much to upright and narrow. Originally there were no after market grips for the Expert (it has an added Safety) ... but there probably are now. I found that the front sight was too short to sight in at 25 meters with a center hold. I had to have a raiser block made for it. (.22 model)
I personally love my Pardini HP. Early models ... before the "race strip" reinforcements on the side of the receiver ... did suffer from early frame cracks. The broken wrist grip works very well for me.
It seems like the CM32 Morini is an elusive beast ... I've never been able to find one ...
After testing many different bullets and loads ... I gave up trying to use my Pardini HP at 50 yards. Definitely needs a faster twist barrel ...

makofoto-at-earthlink.net.41492.41418
Leonard

Pardini HP/SP is better quality than SP20...

Post by Leonard »

SP20 is a copy of the HP/SP but not as well made......have a close look at the internals of both and you will see what I mean. I've heard some alarming stories of parts failures and guns unable to group under 6" -more so than with the Pardinis
Gone are the days when Hammerli used to make finely machined pistols. Now they make poor copies of other companies designs or rebrand others of dubious quality - FP10 fiasco..!
I don't really believe that the advice given to you by the dealer is particularly sound either...
TCK

Re: Earl's, Falcon Machining (ntxt)

Post by TCK »

Thanks, I founded their wqebsite now.

eric

Re: Also consider a Manurhin Match 32...

Post by eric »

i have had a GSP32 and a SP20 .32 but the manurhin MR73 .32 match shoots far more aqurate because of its 6"barrel. It is extremely well build(see the internet) and with a CARL-NILL grip it holds perfect. The shells are kept perfect shooting a revolver. and never a malfunction.

e.van.boxtel-at-planet.nl.43104.41444