Follow Through help

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
conradin

Follow Through help

Post by conradin »

I have installed a new sear spring into my MatchGuns MG2ERF and do some preliminary testing. The pistol cycles good and there is no problem. Aguila ammo does the job fine.
Now that I can *see* ever since I have the new prescription..
I notice at the follow through the front sight ends up on the right side after the shot. All the shots land around 6 at 7 o'clock. I did not adjust the sights yet.

I would like to know if there is something wrong with my hold. Neither my Pardini nor my 1911 ends up having their front sight on the right side after a shot. I always have the front sights end up back in the middle again. Should I change the grip? Should I adjust the trigger length? I want to make sure everything is OK before I mess with the sight.

FYI I use small grip on AP and FP. The Pardini on medium grip but a fellow shooter helped me to get it real tight and secure so it is OK. The MG2ERF is a medium grip. It fits very well, not tight, but I have no idea if it is considered "secure".
SamEEE

Re: Follow Through help

Post by SamEEE »

Reading here I see a couple of questions.

1) Is there something wrong with my hold?

Hard to say without seeing your grip in person. I suggest you seek out a coach perhaps, or post a video of your hand while shooting.
Typically good grips are relaxed, but firm. Strong, but free from tension.
I like the metaphor of squeezing an egg; firm enough not to drop, but not so strong as to destroy it.

2) Where should my finger sit on the trigger?

Your finger should sit roughly in the meat of your distal phalanx on the trigger.
The position of the trigger blade in where the sear breaks: the distal phalanx should ideally be perpendicular to the bore axis at that very moment.
At that point the trigger will be moving straight back - so will not disturb the pistol as it shoots.

3) Why is my follow through dropping?

It is quite hard in my experience to get a true picture of sights after the gun has gone off.
Faults are a little easier to spot with dry firing. Warren Potter has quite a nice article here, and is a piece I often revisit.
Follow Through - Warren Potter
Dry Fire Training - Warren Potter

Thanks Warren for the content and Pilk for hosting these gems.

In short there are no shortcuts or tricks to it. Work hard and the errors will start to become less. Learn to love dry firing.
With the Electronic version of the MG-2 it should be a pleasure.

30.4.16: Edited x5 - Fixed dead links.
Last edited by SamEEE on Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:29 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Image Image
Owl

Post by Owl »

SamEEE wrote:Warren Potter has quite a nice article here, and is a piece I often revisit.
Both links give me a "Page Not Found".

-Marty-
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

Owl wrote:
SamEEE wrote:Warren Potter has quite a nice article here, and is a piece I often revisit.
Both links give me a "Page Not Found".

-Marty-
The "www" was missing & there was an extra"/" at the end. Try the above links, which I edited.