The moral is....

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
jenrick

The moral is....

Post by jenrick »

Pay attention to what you're doing.

So last week I am practicing free pistol, and shooting a bit to the left. No problem, I dial in in two clicks clockwise (ie move the bullet strike right). Still not fixed, and now I'm apparently looking over my sights as I start to drop rounds high. 2 more clicks clockwise, and I'm really focusing on the front sight hard. My shorts are climbing into orbit, speckled in the 1-3 rings, and left. Did I totally forgot how to aim? Is it just a bad day? I box up my Toz and figure I'll take another crack at it tomorrow.

I settle down for a fresh practice session the next day, and the first round is a 3 high left. Dang it! I crank in two more click clockwise, and again proceed to pepper the upper left edge of the target. Okay, maybe I remembered the instructions wrong, maybe it's counter clockwise to go right?! Four clicks counter clockwise it is. Front sight focus, press.... okay I apparently am looking at the front sight again as I'm back on the correct elevation, but I'm still LEFT! I pull out my phone and verify three places that correct way to turn the sight is clockwise to move the bullet strike to the right.

I'm sitting there staring at my rear sight, did the blade get loose. Is it not frozen and not moving when I turn the knob? Hmm, turn it a couple of clicks one way, turn it a couple of clicks back and it moves just fine. Up and Down. I think I spent a good minute pondering that fact, before it finally sunk in that I'd been adjusting elevation for the past two days instead of windage. <Sigh>

The good news is my rear sight tracks just fine in both windage and elevation. The better news is I learned this lesson in practice rather then in a match.

So if it's just not going your way that day, make sure you're turning the right knob the right direction.

-Jenrick
Scrench

Re: The moral is....

Post by Scrench »

Bah, don't beat yourself up. Doing things wrong is the only way to find out how to do them right. Checked 3 sources and still didn't see the problem? Maybe your prescription needs updating?
jenrick

Post by jenrick »

Well the problem was that yep, it's clockwise to move the strike right. It's also clockwise to move the bullet up. Just so happens I was turning the wrong knob. The good news is that it really made me look at my grip, stance, etc, cause for the life of me I couldn't figure out what was wrong. So it basically got me to evaluate everything I was doing, which is never a bad thing.

-Jenrick
Rover

Post by Rover »

Because I can't read the directions on my sights with my shooting glasses on, I write the directions on the side of my grip with a Sharpie in big letters.

C=R+D In English....clockwise means right and down. (or whatever)

It prevents those "DOH!" moments.
conradin

Post by conradin »

Don't feel bad. None of us in my range is quite sure which way the dial works for my Izh 7-3.