What to use to Build up a Synthetic Grip?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Scrench

What to use to Build up a Synthetic Grip?

Post by Scrench »

The black synthetic grip on my Walther LP400 Club needs help, but what do you use to build up a plastic grip that won't destroy it? Need a moldable putty substance that will harden as it dries. Will Bondo work?

Thanks,
Richard
deboom_j

Re: What to use to Build up a Synthetic Grip?

Post by deboom_j »

Bondo would probably work.

Otherwise something like this maybe:

http://www.jbweld.com/collections/epoxy ... poxy-putty

Check the local hardware store, they may have it or something like it. The JB weld stuff is supposed to have a 25 min open time, which should be enough. I'd put on a little, then a little more, etc, rather than a huge blob that needs to be sanded down. If the color bugs you then paint it after you get it to fit.

Either way I'd make sure to clean the grip with alcohol or acetone (be careful with acetone, it might dissolve the plastic), to make sure it's clean and that you get a good bond. Maybe even scratch the plastic with some coarse sand paper, so the putty has something to key into.

John
Scrench

Post by Scrench »

Hmmm,

John, that's a great idea but the product says "Does not adhere to polyethylene, polypropylene or some other plastics." I guess the question now is what kind of plastic is a synthetic grip made out of?
deboom_j

Post by deboom_j »

Well here's some ideas of how to check it.

http://www.northwestpolymers.ca/index.p ... view&id=18

Burning your grip may not sound enticing, but if you did it on the inside, or on an area you intend to fill it wouldn't be noticable.

I'd take the grips off first and look for any letters/labels that may be molded in.

John
Scrench

Post by Scrench »

Wrote an inquiry to Walther, Mark emailed me back the next day, and is checking on exactly what it is made out of.
mikeyj

Post by mikeyj »

JB Weld is steel filled and can't easily be worked with hand tools once hardened. I'd suggest one of the wood-filled epoxy putties,
left360

Post by left360 »

https://sugru.com/

Bought it through Amazon.
Rover

Post by Rover »

I would try one of the "kneadable" epoxies from the hardware store. I'd buy the cheapest one, forcing a thin coat HARD into the grip before applying any bigger amounts. It's easily worked and painted (if you care). WD40 will remove the residue from your hand.
Scrench

Post by Scrench »

The Sugru ad says it dries like rubber. Is it flexible when dry or stiff?
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

If it dries like rubber it should have similar flexibility characteristics........
Scrench

Post by Scrench »

True, but there is soft and hard rubber, like a bicycle tire inner tube compared to a car tire tread. I'd just like the man who tried it explain the consistency once it's dry. If it's hard enough to be gripped without changing it's shape, it might be worth a try. Still haven't heard back from Walther yet about what type of plastic the grip is made out of.
left360

Post by left360 »

It dries like hard rubber. Very, very little flex. Carves very well after hardening, sanding, not so much. Carves better than sanding so that maybe a consideration on how you want to do your fit fine tuning. Cures hard over night, seems to be more or less fully cured after a day or so. I've had a fair bit on my grip for over 2 years, 10,000+ rounds, with no issues. You can add more layers to it. Supposedly, you can heat it up to remove it, but I haven't done that yet.

Steve
Chris

Post by Chris »

use Quikwood
Scrench

Post by Scrench »

After realizing this grip is just too small to begin with, I'm going to get a regular walnut 3D grip, either from Walther or Rink. Thanks for all of the replies, and I almost took the plunge with Loctite repair putty, but didn't.