weight lifting

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
conradin

weight lifting

Post by conradin »

Anyone has a training plan of using dumb bells? Is there a limit to the weight, or is it the heavier the better? Also is there a limit to repetition? I wonder if people just use a 10 lb dumb bell and merely keep increasing the number of repetition, or they would set a certain repetition number as a goal and then will start using a 12.5 lb once the objective is reached (and then 15 lb, etc)?
OTD

Re: weight lifting

Post by OTD »

I go to the gym twice a week working on muscle volumes. That’s what I need to stabilize my body and improving stance and consistency.
There is two schools. On is HIT the other is Volume. What’s better is like a debate over religion. I’m doing HIT. It’s slowly moving the max load 6 – 9 times within 60’’ to 90’’ with a cadence of 4’’ : 2’’ : 4’’ until the muscle exhausts, then regenerating it for 24hrs. Shooting will be difficult in this period. So my plan is training, regeneration, shooting, training, etc.
What weight to begin with depends on your personal fitness and overall constitution. Increasing repetition is improving condition and is burning calories but does not stimulate your muscles to grow.
holmqer

Post by holmqer »

I view this from the perspective of "what am I training for" and then try to simulate that.

In my case, I shoot a national match course in a league almost every week. I shoot a 900 match 22 times a year. I shoot a 60 shot AP match 12 times a year.

So my approach is pick a weight that is a bit heavier than the gun, so I use 2 kg, and then duplicate the repetitions and durations of the match I shoot the most. So 15 reps, with 30 second hold at 2kg every day that I do not shoot. I try to shoot a 900 practice every week that I don't have that sort of match, and I try to shoot a few 60 shot AP practice sessions a month. If I was not doing these high repetition practice sessions, I would probably increase the number of reps on my weight training.
BobGee

Post by BobGee »

Pat McCoy

Post by Pat McCoy »

If you are trying to build muscle mass, you need to keep increasing the weights. If you are training for endurance, you should increase repetitions instead of weight.

In either case you need to train bilaterally (both arms, both legs, etc).
conradin

Post by conradin »

BobGee wrote:Have a look at this:

http://www.targetshooting.ca/docs/stren ... ng-ont.pdf

Bob
Do the "2 sets" mean the second set is for the non shooting hand?
BobGee

Post by BobGee »

No, I don't believe so. See the fifth note:

"Whenever possible, do the same exercises with your non-shooting hand."

Bob
SamEEE

Post by SamEEE »

45 second hold. 10x every day for the first week. One set. Hold the best sight picture you can.

Every subsequent week 1 minute holds x 10. Hold the best sight picture you can.

Do not dry fire. Do the same for both shoulders. It is more about making the muscles fire in balance as opposed to raw strength.

Watch the sights.
Image Image