Feinwerkbau 300s lower weight?

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

NanoZ.

Feinwerkbau 300s lower weight?

Post by NanoZ. »

To the forum:

I have a long family tradition of firing rifles and air guns.
I buy a rifle 61 izh for my 8 year old son who use and several of my nieces ranging from 7-17 years.
we all really enjoyed doing casual plinking in rural area.
thinking about improving a little I buy a Feinwerkbau 300s, beautiful rifle but very, very heavy.
younger children can not lift it

It is possible to lower the weight?

Should I buy another rifle?

I do not need to compete, only a reliable rifle.

thank you.

Ed
Andre

Re: Feinwerkbau 300s lower weight?

Post by Andre »

The barrel shroud can be removed. You could shorten the fore-end, and use a router or mill to carve out wood inside the fore-end. If you lighten the stock, value decreases, because these are more of a collectors item now. A lot of silhouette and FT shooters treasure them, and I don't disagree.
Packrat1947

Re: Feinwerkbau 300s lower weight?

Post by Packrat1947 »

Nano,

There is such a thing as a “junior” 300 model. Jim E. posts here all the time and sometimes has one for sale. Let him know that you would prefer a Universal model if possible. It has the adjustable cheek-piece and makes a world of difference. Not sure if the junior model has this option or not.

Don't modify a 300, …..as all you will do is to ruin it.

The shroud is very thin and mainly cosmetic. It really won't make any real difference to the weigh, as most of the weight is in the steel action.

When I ordered my 300S U, I had it sent with the shroud in the box. After a few years, I ebayed it. Installing would have been an epoxy job and certainly not desirable. One can always make or buy a weight that attaches to the rail, and that's a far better solution.

The 300 series is nice because the cocking effort is very low. My grand-nieces never had any issues here when 10 yrs old. SSPs (single-stroke pneumatics) take serious effort for a kid to cock. Not desirable at all. I have a couple of Anschutz SuperAirs, so I know.

Another nice thing about this 300 series that the loading port is way forward, and makes scope mounting easy. Just pick a scope that is reasonably short.

The scope shown was replaced long ago with one that has AO (adjustable objective). Hint: never, ever buy a scope that doesn't have this capability. It really makes a difference if shooting for groups. Who isn't?

Here's what a Feinwerkbau 300S Universal looks like without a shroud. I'm not sure how to upload a picture, but I'll try. Good luck! Packrat1947

[edit] Nothing helps a kid's confidence like shooting some good groups. When Heather used to visit we would retire to the basement for some entertainment. Each time she would shoot a group like this, she would get a silver dollar. Harris bipod, 10 yds, prone. 9X scope. This is just to show you what a kid and decent rifle and trigger can do.[end of edit]
Attachments
4904357.Heatherstargetpic.jpg
4904357.Heatherstargetpic.jpg (9.72 KiB) Viewed 1506 times
Heathernewtarget.jpg
Heathernewtarget.jpg (16.87 KiB) Viewed 1508 times
FWB 300-S.jpg