Balance Tips?

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Rifle_Man

Balance Tips?

Post by Rifle_Man »

I am a 10m precision Air rifle and 50' precision smallbore shooter. I have been training a lot more, and I am having issues with body sway in the standing position. It seems like every time I start my approach, my body "falls" forward or back, forcing me to aim in a swaying motion. As a result, I begin to shoot a ten, but sway upon pulling the trigger, and shoot a 7 or 8. It seems to "pull off" my shots, and really screws up my rhythm and shot plan, due to constant resetting.

If you could share some tips on how to improve my balance that would be great.

-Thanks
Matt
lyoke

Re: Balance Tips?

Post by lyoke »

When I have this same issue I double check to make sure that my hips are inline. If my left hip (RH shooter) out of line with my right hip then I start to sway one way or the other.
Rifle_Man

Post by Rifle_Man »

So should I keep both my feet directly aligned with the target? I usually have my right foot, (RH shooter) about 1-2 inches behind the left foot. This twists my hips a bit.
Shooter

Post by Shooter »

I have mentioned it before, but will again. I have a lot of info in my library and in fact, I have something on balance and sway. If you want to see what is in there and how to see some of it, send me a name and mailing address and I will get the info off to you and we can go from there. Hope to hear from you. Don at bawilli@comcast.net
up2spec

Post by up2spec »

I think you should get someone to stand behind you and check the barrel is plumb in line with middle of your feet. Get them to keep checking it over the course of a match/training session.

If your right foot is slightly behind the left then base it on the middle of your front foot, which most of the weight is probably on. Normally the position is naturally falling forwards slightly. The body then corrects backwards slightly. Swaying ensues.

If position is falling forwards then more back bend to get barrel back over middle of feet is required. If it's only slight, then you could also try adjusting your left hand and how it holds the stock. Depends what type of hand position you use (fist, palm, fingers etc) sometimes just twisting the left wrist/hand inwards towards your body slightly, hence moving rifle closer to your chest slightly, is enough to correct balance.

The textbook position is obviously feet directly in line with target. But in practice it's OK to have the right foot a little behind the left foot. It puts a slight counter clockwise twist in your back. Many top shooters have a small twist and say it improves overall stability. I'd say 1 inch behind is about the limit, no further. If you decide to bring your right foot a little straighter so it's only 0.5 to 1 inch behind, make sure to adjust your natural point of aim by moving your left elbow left slightly on your hip.

Even with a perfectly balanced plumb position, some sway will remain, though it should be only small enough that you can wait a few seconds, relax and it will stop. If it doesn't stop and starts increasing in size, abort the shot and reset.

Physical conditioning of core, back and legs may also help as well as exercises on a balance board. If you are training a lot more now, then a strong core will also help you avoid back injuries from increased training load. Pilates exercises are good for the core. Deadlifts good for the lower back. Even just holding a static plank for as long as you can every night before you go to bed will help build a strong core with good endurance.