New guy with a size question

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Robdog

New guy with a size question

Post by Robdog »

I'm a larger guy, 6'5" - 245lbs. I'm trying to make a decision on a 3-position rifle and can't decide knowing how many rifles wouldn't work for someone my size. Im interested in the 1913 w/ precise stock, so would this package have enough adjustability for someone my size and no leaving me with a pain in the neck? I'm hearing good things about the kk500 but would rather have an Anchutz.
Shooterer

Re: New guy with a size question

Post by Shooterer »

You have me by 2" and 10 pounds and I have the 1913/precise rifle. There is plenty of length and height adjustments for taller/longer shooters.

You will want to get a tall set of sight risers and the "fast clamp" butt stock bolt.

Welcome to the addiction.
mtncwru

Post by mtncwru »

My advice for 3P shooters, even those of your stature, is always to get the xx07 model rather than the xx13. The xx13 barrel has a significant amount of weight out front (where you don't necessarily want it in standing), and adding weight is quick, cheap, and easy. Removing weight is time consuming, expensive, and might require a gunsmith (if it's the barrel that's weighing you down).

Adjustment-wise, the Precise stock is great. I'm 6'1" as well, and have no problems with the range of available adjustments. One thing to know about the Precise, though, is that the grip only has two adjustments: side to side, and rotation about the vertical axis.

Any particular reason you are dead set on an Anschutz? The KK500 has some significant advantages over an Anschutz, not the least of which is the position of the loading port over the trigger. The US support for Walther today is outstanding, and as a package deal (sights, risers, handstop, etc.) they're hard to beat.
patriot

Post by patriot »

mtncwru wrote: Any particular reason you are dead set on an Anschutz? The KK500 has some significant advantages over an Anschutz, not the least of which is the position of the loading port over the trigger. The US support for Walther today is outstanding, and as a package deal (sights, risers, handstop, etc.) they're hard to beat.
Over the Anschutz 54.30? The barrel on the 54.30 is lighter than the 1913 690 mm. My preference is to shoot as much weight as I can handle without fatigue, it dampens the offhand movement. There might have been a reason the old time silhouette shooters shot very heavy barrels on their Ballards, Winchesters, and Stevens.

Mark
Andre

Post by Andre »

I'm with mtncwru, I have a 1907 in a 1914 stock and I love it. I've felt a few xx13 models and they just don't have great balance. If you buy the xx07 and regret it, add weights. If you buy the xx13 and regret it....not much you can do. They are button rifled so thinning the profile and tapering one is out of the question, as it can warp.
redschietti

Post by redschietti »

Jus my opinion. I think 90% of shooters in usa shoot a anshutz(i do) but i also think 90% of the winners dont.
patriot

Post by patriot »

What big prone matches have you shot?
redschietti

Post by redschietti »

Patriot, Prone? I'm assuming conventional prone, any gun is accurate enough to shoot 3200 there. The question was a 3p gun, and I would include international (metric) prone with that. Sorry, I stand on what I wrote, you need better ergonomics there to make finals and win than you can get with an annie.