Wasted effort pellet test

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Rover

Wasted effort pellet test

Post by Rover »

Many here know I have a stiffy for RWS Diabalo Basic pellets.

I just ordered two sleeves from two different lots, I've found there is frequently a lot to lot variation.

I also ordered a tin each of 7grain Meisterkugeln and R10 pellets. I have a tin of JSB Schak 7.33grain.

I shot 30 shot groups from each of these with my Steyr LP1.

RESULTS:

The Schak made the smallest group, then the R10, then the Meisterkugeln, then the Basic.

The problem was that, at a glance there was no difference in group size. Every single shot deeply cut the 11 ring.

I sold one sleeve of Basics to guys at the club and will shoot the remaining pellets at random. No point in fussing with them. Your milage may differ.
william

Re: Wasted effort pellet test

Post by william »

Make damn sure you keep all the tins apart. You can never predict the result when these things start crossbreeding.
SamEEE

Post by SamEEE »

I also enjoy shooting RWS Green tin. For any serious work I chose RWS R10s. I haven't bothered testing them.
Image Image
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

My only complaint with RWS Basics is that the tins are slightly oversized in height, and won't work in the plastic clips that keep the lids on in transit & handling. I really don't understand why they can't put 500 in a standard sized tin...
rmca

Post by rmca »

I believe it's for stacking. "Normal" tins slide around when placed on top of each other.
The newer tins from RWS are all like this (at least the green, orange, yellow and the R10).
Reuse the tape that comes with the box. It holds up quite well.
Rover

Post by Rover »

"My only complaint with RWS Basics is that the tins are slightly oversized in height, and won't work in the plastic clips that keep the lids on in transit & handling. I really don't understand why they can't put 500 in a standard sized tin..."

I feel your pain! There is a guy at the club that leaves his empty R10 pellet tins laying around. I take the bottom from them, pour in my Basics, and put on the Basics lid. It easily slides into my pellet "safe".

I could just use the R10 tin but I like the others to see they're being beaten with the cheap RWS Basics.
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

http://www.potfire.com.au/ammunition.ht ... ition.html

Could someone look at this website and tell me what the equivalent is to the JSB Schack pellets mentioned by Rover.
kevinweiho

Post by kevinweiho »

deadeyedick wrote:http://www.potfire.com.au/ammunition.ht ... ition.html

Could someone look at this website and tell me what the equivalent is to the JSB Schack pellets mentioned by Rover.
D.E.D., the SCHak pellets are JSB’s intermediate line of wadcutter pellets. Their website mention they are identical to their premium line of Match green, yellow, and blue pellets. The only difference is that the check out control isn’t as strict as the Match pellets.

In the lower end of the spectrum, are the “Target Sport diabolo” pellets. In my opinion, pellet manufacturers continue using the same dies to produce their pellets until they eventually wear out to a point and have to be replaced. That is why they offer several grades of the same pellet.
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

Thanks Kevin...much appreciated.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Deadeyedick, I looked at your site but did not see anything equivalent to what I used.

What is confusing is that the "Green Lid" pistol pellets come in two different weights (7.3grain and 7.72). The SCHak I used were 7.3 gr., but I have also used the 7.72gr "Green lid" pellets. The SCHak were more accurate in my gun. The 7.3gr "Green lid" were the pellet I used in three different guns with two lots of pellets for my past testing and in EVERY case were the most accurate pellet tested, but the SCHak also come in a heavier weight. You can do a search under my handle and find these tests, as I posted them here.

Sure, I have a few extra tins of pellets laying around, but I'm using the RWS Basics for practice and matches. (They're cheap, too.)
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

Thanks Rover...strange how manufacturers sometimes produce different labels for different parts of the world. I know that Eley have used this strategy in the past.

I have mainly used R10 in 4.49 for matches and the cheaper Meisterklugeln for practice also in 4.49.
X10

Post by X10 »

Thanks Rover. Now I dont have to do the same test :-)
Rover

Post by Rover »

That's what I've started saying myself! But, some folks find it hard to believe my tests and won't do them themselves.

I don't know where THAT leaves THEM, but I have fun piddling away with this stuff.
X10

Post by X10 »

Once in a while you hear from someone who claims to have gone from terrible result to stellar result – all because he has started sorting, washing and lubing the pellets.

Others will claim that without sorting, washing and lubing pellets will be all over the place.

On the other hand my Steyr dealer claims that Steyr LPs are test shot with pellets straight out of the tin. And all the test targets I have seen looks good to me.

I think I will spend time shooting rather than sorting, washing and lubing :-)
Rover

Post by Rover »

Hell,I only do THAT with my lady friends!
mikeyj

Post by mikeyj »

X10 wrote:Once in a while you hear from someone who claims to have gone from terrible result to stellar result – all because he has started sorting, washing and lubing the pellets...
Back in my airgun field target days I got into inspecting,washing, sizing, and luging my pellets. After a season of doing this I decided that what really made the biggest difference was inspecting the pellets and tosing out the damaged pellets and the bits of lead mold flashing that sometimes worked their way into the boxes.
siordian1

Post by siordian1 »

Not a waste of time at all. In fact I nominate you to be the official "pellet tester " for TargetTalk.org. You duties will be as follows,

A monthly report of at least 3 brands of pellets, from the low cost type to the top of the line, all purchased at your expense.

Complete chronograph data in detailed and concise reports.

Since all you have is a beat up LP1 and a used Walther LPM. You will be required to purchase at least 1 new air pistol per year.

All of this should be no trouble as you are a man of unlimited wealth and time.

Get on it, we expect that first report on 4/1/2016.
Rover

Post by Rover »

"All of this should be no trouble as you are a man of unlimited wealth and time."

You neglected to mention brains, sex appeal, and hot guinea charm, but you're forgiven.

I think my next AP will be the "old timer" Morini 162EI, but then again you may tire of your Pardini k58.

BTW I just got a sleeve of Finale Match Hi-Speed from ChefCarl1911. They tested very poorly, so I cranked up the LP1 power and the results were excellent. They'll be the match pellet for that gun until they're gone.