E-clip size for pivot pins on IZH-46m?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
mikeyj

E-clip size for pivot pins on IZH-46m?

Post by mikeyj »

One of the e-clips (part 68) that keeps the pivot pins (part 8) in place on my Izzy is missing. Anyone know the size? I don't have a micrometer or caliper than can measure the diameter of the slot in the pivot pin.
seamaster

Re: E-clip size for pivot pins on IZH-46m?

Post by seamaster »

might as well make one yourself if you can't find one.

take the one clip you have, go to AceHardware, find a thin metal washer of same inner diameter, then just use a sharp edge clipper to cut it to same entry gap. Voila, an el-cheapo clip.
mikeyj

Post by mikeyj »

Clever. I'd planned to hit my local hardware store just knowing the outer diameter, which would work... if they have metric e-clips.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Nice, Seamaster. I love little sneaky fixes of that type.

I remember some guy wanting to order shims from Europe. He was offended when I suggested beer can and scissors.
mikeyj

Post by mikeyj »

I've often used beer can shims in various applications.

Guy at the hardware store said E-clips were sized by shaft size... which turns out not to be the case. One more trip!
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

mikeyj wrote:One of the e-clips (part 68) that keeps the pivot pins (part 8) in place on my Izzy is missing. Anyone know the size? I don't have a micrometer or caliper than can measure the diameter of the slot in the pivot pin.
The e-clips are an odd size. They are 8.9 mm OD, but about 3 mm ID. The grooves are ~ 0.65 mm wide, and the pins are 6mm OD, with the OD of the groove being ~ 2.8 mm, so the clips aren’t snug on the inner part of the groove.

The temper on the E-clips is poor, and they can spread a bit when you remove them. I had to compress them before they would snap back into place. I have some E-clips I ordered from McMaster Carr that I haven't tried yet. They are the correct ID, but smaller OD than the factory clips.

For Shaft Dia., mm: 4-5
Slot Dia., mm: 3.2
Slot Width, mm: 0.64
Ring OD, mm: 6.9
Thickness, mm: 0.6
Pkg. Qty.: 100
Part # 98543A103
Pkg. $2.85
mikeyj

Post by mikeyj »

i wonder if a 6.9mm OD is enough? That leaves 0.45mm ether side of the pin. I may well go ahead and order some myself.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

mikeyj wrote:i wonder if a 6.9mm OD is enough? That leaves 0.45mm ether side of the pin. I may well go ahead and order some myself.
I found a couple pistols in our team's collection with no clips at all that had been that way for no telling how long. They aren't under any sideways force, you just need to prevent them from falling out.
Rover

Post by Rover »

You could always put a dab of nail polish on them.
PhatMan

Post by PhatMan »

mickeyj,

In extremis, I have used wraps of dental floss in the pin grooves - just wrap, tie off, and add a spot of cyanoacrylate glue on the knot to fix.

These 'repairs' work surprisingly well :)

Have fun !

Best regards

Russ
mikeyj

Post by mikeyj »

Gwhite wrote:
mikeyj wrote:i wonder if a 6.9mm OD is enough? That leaves 0.45mm ether side of the pin. I may well go ahead and order some myself.
I found a couple pistols in our team's collection with no clips at all that had been that way for no telling how long. They aren't under any sideways force, you just need to prevent them from falling out.
That does suggest that tight o-rings may well be a workable solution.