Are there different models of the Standard Steyr LP10?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
rmca

Re: Are there different models of the Standard Steyr LP10?

Post by rmca »

Rover wrote:Does this mean that the LP10 (and those who drank the KoolAde) are hopelessly outmoded?
Yep! The LP10' doesn't shoot straight anymore... :(
DFWdude

Post by DFWdude »

deadeyedick wrote:
Ah, New pistol, completely New name. That's good (IMO). Reassuring to see the Styer Product developers and I subscribe to the same tried and true marketing philosophies.
Huh ? Try saying this one word slowly......e v o l u t I o n.....updates randomly introduced into the production line without reference to dates or serial numbers.
DED, I learned to spell evolution in the second grade. I know perfectly well what it means.

If this were not a new pistol, Steyr not have trademarked a new name... EVO10...for it.

It's essentially a new pistol, given all the NEW features in it. You may not think it's new, but ask anyone at Steyr, and they will explain it to you.
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

LP10 has been around for a while. I'm not asking about standard vs short, electronic vs mechanical. Is there an LP10A, or B, or C, etc. and if so in what years did each hit the market?
There is no disputing the fact that the EVO10 is a new model, however bear in mind that your original question asked about differing models/generations/alphabetical numbering of the LP10.

The quote above is your original question regarding the LP10 model. Please re read replies from Kevin, yourself and myself.

It was obvious that it suited your needs to believe what Kevin had put forward rather than to understand that evolutionary changes had been made by Steyr ( and quietly slipped into production ) to the LP10 between 2000 until early 2016 without reference to generations or ABC,or indeed serial numbers.

The reference I made to "wait a few more days" was made knowing that the new model EVO 10 was to be released. This heralded the first model change since the LP10. Despite the fact that it basically is an LP10 with many improvements added to the existing platform the name change had created a new model.

The attached photo was included showing the wording in Steyr's 2016/2017 EVO 10 for the purpose of illustrating the Steyr philosophy of evolutionary development and quietly "slipping" these improvements into production while staying with the same model. This was staying on topic regarding your original question.

There is one LP10.... evolutionary upgrades were randomly introduced at Steyr's discretion with no defining generation created.

The EVO 10 is a new model that has been introduced March 2016 to replace the LP10 which it is based.
Attachments
image.jpeg
kevinweiho

Post by kevinweiho »

deadeyedick wrote:Misunderstanding may have played a part in prolonging this topic.
It's my time to butt in...

Steyr's definition of "Evolution" is: to scrutinize established technologies, to optimize all time-proven components and to slip in new inputs very cautiously.

Now, let's take a look at the definition differences between "evolution" vs. "next-generation":

Evolution:
The gradual development of something, especially from a simple to a more complex form. In my opinion, the new Evo 10 does not offer any real “evolution” over the LP10, only a new facelift. The only game changer was the canting front and rear sights.

Next-Generation: (Gen2, Gen3, Gen4, etc.)
pertaining to the nextstage of development or version of a product, service, or technology. If you carefully look at all the "upgrades" on the Evo10, it is only a NEW generation LP10.

I already know you'd take Steyr's word over mine.
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

Good luck in telling the manufacturer they got their evolutions and generations mixed up Kev.
kevinweiho

Post by kevinweiho »

deadeyedick wrote:Good luck in telling the manufacturer they got their evolutions and generations mixed up Kev.
I won't be wasting my time trying to convince them to change the name. It wasn't me who messed up!
X10

Post by X10 »

LP10 is dead - long live the EVO10.

That is the difference between a silent upgrade and a new model - alive vs. dead :-)
kevinweiho

Post by kevinweiho »

X10 wrote:LP10 is dead - long live the EVO10.

That is the difference between a silent upgrade and a new model - alive vs. dead :-)
Only the LP10 name will be phased out. The internals of the EVO10, and 90% more or less of the exterior is STILL a LP10.

It’s like saying if you had plastic surgery then you’re not X10 anymore…?
X10

Post by X10 »

Kevin the world is not real - it is marketing.

As long as Steyr is making silent upgrades the LP10 is fine. When Steyr makes a new model - the EVO10 - then the LP10 is no longer any good.

Had the world been real even a LP1 would be fine :-)

Happy shooting :-)
kevinweiho

Post by kevinweiho »

X10 wrote:Kevin the world is not real - it is marketing.
As long as Steyr is making silent upgrades the LP10 is fine. When Steyr makes a new model - the EVO10 - then the LP10 is no longer any good.
X10, in the REAL WORLD, many people buy into the marketing hype, and some don't...The LP10 is a proven platform, saying it is no longer any good is absurd.
Rover

Post by Rover »

See, another KoolAde sipper. Guess he needs a SSP.
X10

Post by X10 »

SSP you say? Are you mad? According to marketing SSP is so out of date that pellets are leaving the barrel sideways.
kevinweiho

Post by kevinweiho »

X10 wrote:SSP you say? Are you mad? According to marketing SSP is so out of date that pellets are leaving the barrel sideways.
Have you ever fired a quality SSP? Yes, it’s old school technology, but my FWB 103 is just as accurate as my LP10 Gen2 in putting five pellets in a single hole group.
Do yourself a favor and get a first tier SSP. You’ll notice why people have been raving about them.
Attachments
IMG_1031.jpg
X10

Post by X10 »

The key to my post was "according to marketing" and "in the real world". I was joking.

In the real world I am shooting my 30 year old HW70 with a smile on my face. Same thing goes for my Gamo SSP :-)

But I am willing to bet that no one will pay full price for a LP10 now that the EVO10 has arrived :-) Very few people will shoot any better with an EVO10 - but few will want a LP10.

LP10 gen 1, 2, 3 is not the same thing - it is a LP10 - it is all between our ears :-) Nothing to do with the real world - just marketing :-)

Happy shooting
kevinweiho

Post by kevinweiho »

X10 wrote:The key to my post was "according to marketing" and "in the real world". I was joking.
In the real world I am shooting my 30 year old HW70 with a smile on my face. Same thing goes for my Gamo SSP :-)
No offense, but you're the type of person who sounds and behaves like a troll. Happy shooting with your pistols.
X10

Post by X10 »

No offense taken. I will try to be less funny in the future.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Why should you be less funny when so many here are (inadvertantly) hilarious.
hundert

Post by hundert »

There are 5 generations of LP10 (that, not counting LP1)

LP1 CO2, first version, no compensator (it's with this version the world record was set in 89 and held til 2009)
LP1 CO2, with compensator
LP1 PCP with air
LP10 with black trigger, no pressure indicator on cylinder
LP10, with pressure indicator on cylinder, trigger with "horns"
LP10, with trigger bearing (current world record set with this one)
LP10e, e-trigger, and a new LP10 that has a different trigger shoe, not sure if otherwise different.
LP10EVO

I'm not aware of LP10 with CO2, but I've heard there was such a beast.