Uncarved TOZ-35s

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
mikeyj

Uncarved TOZ-35s

Post by mikeyj »

I'm seeing a lot of new old TOZ-35s with uncut grips for sale recently in the region of $500. Given that I'd like to get a 50m pistol, I'm handy wth woodworking tools, and I'm looking to spend as little as possible, are these a good deal?
jenrick

Re: Uncarved TOZ-35s

Post by jenrick »

If you're comfortable doing the wood working and not in a hurry, then yes. I'd recommend having a grip that already works well for you to base your carving off of, but it's not terribly difficult to do.

-Jenrick
mikeyj

Post by mikeyj »

I've got an IZH-46m that I'm shaping to fit my hand- it's 90% of the way there. I can use that at a basis for part of it.
john bickar

Post by john bickar »

I'm solidly at "knows how to turn the Dremel on and not chomp my fingers" woodworker level, and if I needed a free pistol, I would jump on a $500 Toz like a hungry pooch jumps for pickled Alpo.

There are a number of unspoken caveats in the above, but if you want to get into free pistol on the cheap and your chief concern is whether or not you have the woodworking skills to kludge a serviceable grip, don't worry - go for it.
SamEEE

Post by SamEEE »

Image Image
Rover

Post by Rover »

Man, for that price I would (like Bickar) happily screw it up all by my lone self.

Of course, many on here would prefer to spend big bucks to screw up. (See Obamacare)

BTW Hey John, Zurek tells me you shoot pretty good.
jliston48

Post by jliston48 »

SamEEE wrote:If it really goes wrong: http://www.formgriffe.de/en/shpSR.php?s ... 400&p2=255
OR

http://www.morini.ch/download/12.pdf
Likewise, not cheap but the Large grips are nearly perfect for me (except they were too long and contacted my arm above the wrist - easily fixed.)
mikeyj

Post by mikeyj »

Both Cheaper Than Dirt and Bud's had TOZs for $500-549, depending on condition. Before ordering, though, I did some online research into their reputations... and decided not to go that route. I think I'll look around here for a while longer. I'd rather buy from a fellow shooter I can trust ;-)
Aslap

Post by Aslap »

Mike,

I have one that I'm getting ready to sell. I paid 500 and I'll be selling it for 500. PM me if you want details on it.

Aslap AT Comcast DOT net

Tony
CraigB5940

Post by CraigB5940 »

Well worth the effort-great value for the $$$.
I got one from Buds last year-it was unfired and in great shape. It took me about 3 hours to get the grips roughed out for the first trip, and it really does help to have a pistol grip nearby to use a layout guide, I used the grip on my Morini 162 EI as a rough template to get the heel of my hand fitted to the left half of the grip.

When clamped in a vise the pistol holds the 10 ring with no problem with SK Jagd std ammo.
Craig B
mikeyj

Post by mikeyj »

After putting off a purchase owing to the sale of one of my guns falling through, I discovered my local neighborhood FFL could get me a like new TOZ for significantly less than Buds charged. I also bought some new rasps for carving ;-)
Rover

Post by Rover »

I wouldn't mind trying something better suited to my hand; I've hacked the old one to shreds.

Anybody?
Aslap

Post by Aslap »

Mike,

Do yourself a favor and go to Rockler and get their Microplane rotary shaper. If you have a drill press this thing will hog out wood faster than you ever imagined and leaves a shockingly smooth surface. After emailing with you, I took to the last block of wood I had for my grips and made the palm shelf. What a difference! The angle puts the gun right where it should be and I'm a lot less shaky! I have to figure out how to make the top brace. The Microplane was used in the drill press to make the shelf and it maybe an hour or so to get it all done. A Dremel and a Japanese Shinto saw plane (another wicked fast wood remover from Rockler!) were also used.

Tony
Aslap

Post by Aslap »

This is even better. Now I understand why these grips are the way they are. It should have been obvious, I guess, but I've gone from wanting to sell the gun to looking forward to shooting it like this!

I picked up a block of what was identified as Claro walnut from Rockler. I've never bought one of these before and it was coated with wax. The wood is reall, really soft. Maybe it will dry out. At any rate I have a good template now for the upper hand piece.

Tony
mikeyj

Post by mikeyj »

Aslap wrote:Mike,

Do yourself a favor and go to Rockler and get their Microplane rotary shaper. ...
Tony
I have six different Microplane rasps, not counting the ones in my kitchen, plus a few traditional hand cut rasps. The Microplanes are wonderful in how they cut fast and smooth- a little sandpaper is all you need to clean up after using them. I prefer to use hand tools as they never get away from me the way power tools can.

mike