Does your anschutz barrel have to warm up?

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Tim S

Re: Does your anschutz barrel have to warm up?

Post by Tim S »

Cumbrian wrote: The glass in the primer is a nasty thought but I had heard that there was less (or none) of this in some manufacturers' ammunition than others, Eley ammo being particularly full of it. Is this correct or am I deluding myself in going for only RWS and Lapua?
I think Lapua use the Eleypfime system, so there is unlikely to be much different.
patriot

Post by patriot »

Tim S wrote:Would this article be relevant? http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3944560/
Good article Tim - thanks.
Cumbrian

Post by Cumbrian »

Tim,

That's interesting, thank you. I wonder if RWS use the same primer. I can't remember exactly where I picked up my information about the 'different' primers. I do recall that Robert Nibbs was once quoted as saying that 'if you use Eley you obviously aren't bothered about wear in your barrel', or words to that effect, which I took to be somewhat uncomplimentary, though maybe he meant something else. I switched mostly to RWS after hearing good reports of their ammo and after a few misfires with Eley Match, plus the shocking price of Tenex.
KennyB

Post by KennyB »

Cumbrian wrote:I do recall that Robert Nibbs was once quoted as saying that 'if you use Eley you obviously aren't bothered about wear in your barrel', or words to that effect, which I took to be somewhat uncomplimentary, though maybe he meant something else.
He's said that to me as well - I'm not sure I agree with it.
I feel it would depend on the shape of the particulate products of the primer - small round glass beads are unlikely to cause anything like as much wear as sharp edged shards which might act like lapping compound (or possibly bore paste).

K.
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

Roger,

Historically RWS used a different method to prime cases than Eley, but I don't know if this equates to a difference in the actual priming compound. There appears to be little difference in the residue left by R50, and by Eley.

I don't think the primer actually contains glass, I think one of the by products of the detonation is a silicate compound. The issue isn't new, or solely related to Eley. I'm told that Western Supermatch, a very popular brand in the '50s and '60s, was infamous for creating an erosion ring in the throat.
Cumbrian

Post by Cumbrian »

Kenny and Tim,

Fascinating information, thank you both very much. After your posts, I am now completely out of my depth, so I will bow out as gracefully as I can! (And return to my current little practical problem about reconciling the latest anti-pulse Centra sling with a Gemini hand stop, for which the former was not intended, which I knew in advance would be the case.)

Roger
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

Cumbrian wrote:Kenny and Tim,

I will ...return to my current little practical problem about reconciling the latest anti-pulse Centra sling with a Gemini hand stop, for which the former was not intended, which I knew in advance would be the case.)

Roger
Hi Roger,

fold the end of the sling over, and secure with bolts, to use the issue ball-chuck swivel.
Cumbrian

Post by Cumbrian »

Tim,

Yes, thank you. It will mean cutting up an old leather sling, which always goes against the grain, but I think I must steel myself to do it. I like the slimness of the Centra hand stop that actually fits the Centra sling stud but it doesn't move far enough out for my taste, at least not after I have used the fully adjustable Gemini hand stop for so long.

Hope you have had a successful winter season.

Roger
zanemoseley

Post by zanemoseley »

I watched the Brownells video and the cleaning pellets along with the Kroil and JB looks like a good method. I'll shoot a bit more after my most current cleaning to see if it helped at all. Then perhaps next month I'll order some of this cleaning stuff from Brownells, I've spent enough on gun stuff this month to warrant murder from the wife.
23's Dad

Post by 23's Dad »

zanemoseley wrote:I watched the Brownells video and the cleaning pellets along with the Kroil and JB looks like a good method. I'll shoot a bit more after my most current cleaning to see if it helped at all. Then perhaps next month I'll order some of this cleaning stuff from Brownells, I've spent enough on gun stuff this month to warrant murder from the wife.
Too Funny!!!! I'm not looking forward to my monthly Visa Bill Conversation either.
patriot

Post by patriot »

The good news is I found a great lot of Midas+ testing ammo Sunday. The bad news is I bought all Champion Choice had. Ouch. The other good news is a friend claimed half of it, or maybe that is more bad news.

Mark