Walther KK300 Anatomic Question

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

VicRC87

Walther KK300 Anatomic Question

Post by VicRC87 »

Hello everyone. Yesterday I just receive my new Walther KK300 Anatomic in the meantime that a KK500 is available in the United States. I have always been shooting Anschutz before, but after doing some research I came to the conclusion that this one would be a better deal than getting a 1907 or 1913 in 1918 Precise Stock.
As I was evaluating the rifle last night a couple of concerns came to be, and since I never held a Walther in my hand wouldn't know if there is something wrong with the rifle or not. So if you could answer the following question regarding some concerns that I have it would be greatly appreciated to know if I would have to send it back or not.

Specificactons:
Walther KK300 Anatomic
Insight-Out Sight Set
Walther Extension Tube
Mec Free Butt plate
Genhman 546MC Iris

Concerns:
1) I cannot load or unload the bolt without detaching the cheek piece assembly? is this normal?
2) The cheek piece does not go down completely flush with the stock.
3) The Butt Plate doesn't go all the way in completely flush with the stock.
4) As i turn the black "dial" on the front sight (it has some number in the top) the front free floating iris doesn't seem to open nor close.
5) When I use the stock peep on the rifle there is too much space around the front sight, when I use the Iris i cannot see completely clear the front sight even though I have set up the iris to be able to see clearly, and doesn't seem to graduate and I turn the dials.

One thing to take in concern this rifle had to be rush shipped from UMAREX USA/WALTHER USA to ISS so it could have delivered due to the delayed of the Walther KK500 to about 2 more months so I don't know if it was one they had laying around or what, because there are a spot on the stock peep sight that seem as if it was unpainted or nicked and one unpainted spot in the inside of the action. Right now I'm not at my computer to upload pictures but will do later on if you need to see what I am talking about.

Thanks for your answers and your Clarifications.
Last edited by VicRC87 on Thu Mar 03, 2016 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tim S

Re: Walther KK300 Anatomic Question

Post by Tim S »

1) Do you mean you must remove the cheekpiece to: A) open the bolt, and pull it back to extract and eject a new cartridge, and expose the breech to load the next? Or B) to remove the bolt from the receiver? A is not normal, but it's possible that the cheekpiece has been positioned too far forwards; take it off the rifle, turn it upside down to see the adjustment screws; can you loosen bolts to move it back? If B, yes this is quite normal. You would also need to remove the cheekpiece (and buttplate) to clean the barrel.

4) Do you have an iris in the foresight? Your description only lists a rearsight iris. You may just have a fixed aperture insert, which would not increase in diameter. If the numbers are say 4.0/1.2 (or similar) you have a glass hi-end insert; the numbers are the inner diameter of the aperture, and the thickness of the ring. From memory Walther fit a Centra foresight tunnel, which can be rotated for cant; perhaps this is what your numbers are.

5) With the standard eyepiece, move the whole rearsight forwards (away from your eye) to decrease the space around the foresight. With the Gehmann eyepiece, you may not have adjusted the internal lens, or aperture properly, or you have a filter partially engaged.
Last edited by Tim S on Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
VicRC87

Post by VicRC87 »

Here are the pictures as promised:
This one is just with most of the accesories attached.

This is as low as the cheek piece goes

This is how the bolt is blocked off by the cheek piece when I am trying to take it out for storage

This is what the chamber looks like, notice the mark at 12 o'clock

This is as far as the butt plate goes it.

I manage to solve the issue of the riser blocks, apparently they were a little loose i tightened them and put a small washers to absorb vibration.
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

Ok, so the cheekpiece only fouls the bolt for removal. This nothing to worry about. Modern rifles are designed so you can take off the cheekpiece for cleaning/storage/transport etc and put it back in the same place. Just remove the cheekpiece before you pull out the bolt.

I suspect the cheekpiece is not meant to sit flush. The KK300 is a tall action, and sits high in the Anatomic stock, so I'm not surprised the cheekpiece is high.

The mark on the chamber face looks awfully like a proofmark; a German eagle over the letter N (nitro proof). It's much too high to be firing pin damage. This would occur right at the edge of the chamber. A firing pin that high would miss the cartridge case!
VicRC87

Post by VicRC87 »

The mark that I am talking about is not the proof mark, what i am referring to is right above it, looke like a smudge but around the black part right above the eagle.
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

That, ok I was confused by the mention of the chamber; that mark is on the receiver. It's just a very small mark in the bluing. If you think the rifle was made recently in a hurry to fill your order (and that QC suffered for this), the proof marks on the receiver will show the year of manufacture; 2016 is BG, 2015 is BF, 2014 is BE etc
Last edited by Tim S on Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
VicRC87

Post by VicRC87 »

my issue due to the bluing is that it wasnt made in a rush but rather one they had lying around, after looking at the proof mark it kind of confirms it its BE so its a "new" 2014 rifle bought in 2016. the Test target seems pretty good its grouping its about 3/4 the size of a dime, will have to wait and see tomorrow when I take it to the range do do actual shooting.
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

As it is now only nine weeks into 2016, your rifle was probably shipped last year, so it's not been sitting around for too long. Do remember that the KK300 (along with its competitors) is an expensive and niche product, so demand will be quite low compared to cheaper plinking guns. I would suspect that the US importer orders in bulk from Germany when they have enough orders to offset shipping costs, and that individual retailers order stock as they need.

So you're worried that the rifle was left on the shelf by the importer and other customers because of the mark, and that it was only shipped to you because it's literally the last one left? Yes, this is quite possible, but that's a risk everyone buying mail order takes. The mark won't affect accuracy, but if does bother you, exercise your consumer rights and take it up with the shop that sold it to you.

If you are concerned that other customers got to cherry pick rifles with better test targets, again this is possible, but don't worry. The factory test target is not the last word in accuracy; it's proof that the rifle meets the factory standard, and an indicator of expected accuracy. The word from those in the know is that a number of groups are shot, and the best is enclosed with the rifle, but so long as the groups pass, they won't test further or try a different brand or batch of ammunition just to get a tighter group. Shooting from the shoulder (not a lead lined vice as at the factory) and with your choice of ammunition, your rifle may shoot as well, or even better, than a rifle that had a tighter test group.

*Anschutz will put aside some barrels for further testing based on the initial groups; if the barrel meets certain standards through the extended test it's sold as "selected" for a small premium. I don't know if Walther do this too.
Last edited by Tim S on Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:49 am, edited 3 times in total.
Dave IRL

Post by Dave IRL »

Tim S is definitely correct. We had a 1907 in our club that came with a pretty uninspiring test target. However, when tested with Eley, while it didn't shoot a lot of batches very well, it did have one that was an absolute screamer. Best rifle of a group that included Bleikers and other rifles with a lot more work done too.
joel

Post by joel »

I, too, just bought an Anatomic. I do not have that smudge above the proof mark. The front sight is not adjustable, I added one. The rifle comes with 3 different inserts. Your other questions were correctly answered as far as I can see. I've only had one chance to use it so far, but I am very happy with this rifle.

Your description says Walther Extension Tube. Did you order that separately along with the iris?

TIA,

Joel
VicRC87

Post by VicRC87 »

joel wrote:I, too, just bought an Anatomic. I do not have that smudge above the proof mark. The front sight is not adjustable, I added one. The rifle comes with 3 different inserts. Your other questions were correctly answered as far as I can see. I've only had one chance to use it so far, but I am very happy with this rifle.

Your description says Walther Extension Tube. Did you order that separately along with the iris?

TIA,

Joel
Yes I bought it separately and had it customized with measurement marks every 5 mm along with the riser blocks, my rifle did not come with multiple inserts for the front sight only, it just came with only one. In case that i missed it, where were the inserts located in the package.
joel

Post by joel »

VicRC87 wrote:
joel wrote:I, too, just bought an Anatomic. I do not have that smudge above the proof mark. The front sight is not adjustable, I added one. The rifle comes with 3 different inserts. Your other questions were correctly answered as far as I can see. I've only had one chance to use it so far, but I am very happy with this rifle.

TIA,

Joel
Yes I bought it separately and had it customized with measurement marks every 5 mm along with the riser blocks, my rifle did not come with multiple inserts for the front sight only, it just came with only one. In case that i missed it, where were the inserts located in the package.
Well, everything that I bought was in plastic bags. Don't think I've seen that many bags in one place before. Inside the small blue plastic box were a bunch of hex tools, riser screws, and the inserts, all in plastic bags. I don't need the risers so I just put everything away, but the empty plastic bag for the 3.6 I think, along with the other 2 baggies with the 3.4 and 3.8 (I think) were in there.

Cheers,

Joel