Hammerli AP20 - what are the negatives?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Owl

Hammerli AP20 - what are the negatives?

Post by Owl »

I have seen the Hammerli AP20 referred to as a third-tier gun, and it is commonly considered to be good for kids and for beginners in 10-meter. Also, it is not a gun one sees in high level competitive shooting. So even though some have expressed the opinion that the AP20 is capable of shooting scores comparable to the best of the air pistols out there, there must be negatives that keep it off the lists of "best" guns. I know some think of it as rather daintily built, and some don't like the plastic-y grips, or the rainbow colored barrel shrouds, but those things don't seem to me to outweigh the idea that the gun shoots very well. Maybe they do, however, and maybe the fact that the gun is half the cost of the top guns might have something to do with it. At any rate, I am curious as to what the negative side of the AP20 is, and I'd appreciate any comments.

I probably don't have to add that I am thinking about buying an AP20. I should also say that my skill level is not going to propel me to the olympics any time soon.

-Marty-
Andre

Re: Hammerli AP20 - what are the negatives?

Post by Andre »

Granted I've never shot one only handled them at Walther booths, Please take my thoughts with a grain of salt.

The lack of having true LH/RH grips, and barrel porting is probably part of the reason. Also I believe the tank is steel, and as far as I remember it had a pretty far forward balance. I'm not sure what's offered as far as grip adjustment goes.

Our club is looking to buy a few, and at around $800 they are good for beginners. Better than Tau 7 juniors and FWB 60/80 series pistols at least.
j-team

Post by j-team »

If you can find a 5-10 year old Steyr or Morini for the same money you will be better off.

AP20 feels "cheap" in the hand.
Europa

Post by Europa »

The AP20 is well made (by Walther) and has many of the essential adjustments. The rear sight is, pretty much, identical to the one on the LP300. Also, all the trigger adjustments are there, including a multi-post foresight. A wooden grip will always feel better than the AP20's plastic though. Accuracy? No problemo.
Marc Orvin

Post by Marc Orvin »

The cylinder being heavy and forward is not a reason for dismissing this pistol. The cylinder mount is easily converted to where the cylinder hangs down instead of forward.

That said, the grips on this are interchangeable with Walther air pistol grips. But, by the time you buy the AP20 and a set of Walther grips, you are nearly in the ball park of a Walther (slightly used).
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

That said, the grips on this are interchangeable with Walther air pistol grips. But, by the time you buy the AP20 and a set of Walther grips, you are nearly in the ball park of a Walther (slightly used).
Be in a better ballpark and look at the LP400 Club.
Owl

Post by Owl »

Above comments are all appreciated - thanks. My original focus on the Hammerli would seem to be in need of a rethink.
-Marty-

later edit: I wound up buying a used Steyr LP-1P. Very satisfied with it.
-Marty-