Design Ideas

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Rhyno

Design Ideas

Post by Rhyno »

Hello all,

I am a design engineer about to graduate college and looking to increase my design portfolio. I have designed simple rifle stocks, cheek pieces, and other various rifle parts for people, but I was wondering if any of you had anything you have ever wanted designed, or just an idea put to paper. This can include anything! Competition stock for non-competition rifle, shooting accessories, a whole new rifle, sling stops, anything!

Ryan
Rhyno

Re: Design Ideas

Post by Rhyno »

Also, this does not necessarily just mean a drawing, this could also mean possible production depending on the project!
Martin H

Post by Martin H »

Hi Ryan
I have an idea for you. There are many Anschutz Precise stocks out there now.
There is a need, and therefore a market, for a cant adjustable pistol grips for all these Anschutz Precise stocks.

The Precise stock has one serious flaw, it doesn't have a pistol grip that is easily adjustable for cant. I have a home made version, which started life as a Gemini pistol grip, which has a ball joint at the top. But it only works because I have a Bleiker barrel/action in a Precise stock and there is room up inside the stock to mount it. The Bleiker trigger is significantly narrower and allows me to have the 10mm shank of the ball joint mechanism up inside the stock, next to the Bleiker trigger mechanism.
With a standard Anschutz barrel/action and trigger, there isn't enough room for this shank to sit beside the trigger inside the stock.

So the ball joint shank needs some other way of being mounted. Or use another way entirely to adjust the cant.
There are dimensional limits within the pistol grip must sit. So any new type of pistol grip must be positioned correctly with regards to depth and fore/aft position. It was difficult to get my pistol grip positioned up high enough, so it was in the proper relationship with the trigger.
Cheers
Martin
Last edited by Martin H on Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rhyno

Post by Rhyno »

Are we talking about smallbore stocks, or air rifle?
Martin H

Post by Martin H »

Smallbore stock.

Maybe even a way to have quick inter-change of grips for 3P change over.
Martin
Shooterer

Post by Shooterer »

Ryan,
I have been looking at making a empty brass catcher that fits in and pops out of a plastic "ammo can" using off the shelf item and no tools to assemble.

Much like the one in the picture below. It would be for use at indoor public ranges where you can't go in front of the firing line to retrieve your spent brass. I would like to keep the build cost under $50 (USD)

(I know this is not the right forum, but it was where the thread was)

Rhyno

Post by Rhyno »

I will look into both of those ideas! Give me a few days, and I might have some rough sketches...
Rhyno

Post by Rhyno »

Shooterer:

Is this for pistol or rifle?
Rover

Post by Rover »

Shooterer: Nice design, but it looks like it would catch the wind and cause a disruption; probably in RF when you have no time to recover. Here we use a design similar to a butterfly net on a stand with a larger mesh.
tarak

Post by tarak »

you have done a great post .... thanks for the help ....well done
Graduated from Soran University with First Class Degree with Honours in Computer Science.
Shooterer

Post by Shooterer »

Rover, it is for indoor use.

Do you have pics of yours?
Rover

Post by Rover »

No I don't; but for indoor use your idea looks excellent. You might want a hood or something for the "high flyers", though.

Probably the fabric should not be taut to prevent the brass from bouncing.