Difficulty in concentrating

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
major

Difficulty in concentrating

Post by major »

I am shooting an air pistol. I am facing difficulty in concentrating on foresight tip on every shot. If I say to my mind to just focus on tip and sight alignment, the shot goes into 10. But, over a course of match, I sometimes forget to see the tip and it results in a 6/7 .

Also, whenever a new series starts , I get very nervous and as a result, it's a bad shot.

How do I imbibe the thing in mind that it's one pellet at a time which matters?
seamaster

Re: Difficulty in concentrating

Post by seamaster »

Dry Fire, daily dry fire, dry fire before actual range shooting.

Dry fire enough, you won't even think about concentrating. It is just there.

I heard the gospel of dry fire long time ago. I know it is the gospel because so many good shooters said it is the gospel.

I tried that gospel, and it worked wonder. But over time, the lure of shooting pellet after pellet addiction let that wonderful gospel to become just a foot note in my shooting diary.

But the prodigal son has finally come back. I vowed not to waste my time in the range any more.

I now vouch the gospel of dry fire.

I will catch the lapel of all passers by.

It is truly the good news, my friend.
MSmoczynski

Re: Difficulty in concentrating

Post by MSmoczynski »

major wrote:I am shooting an air pistol. I am facing difficulty in concentrating on foresight tip on every shot. If I say to my mind to just focus on tip and sight alignment, the shot goes into 10. But, over a course of match, I sometimes forget to see the tip and it results in a 6/7 .

Also, whenever a new series starts , I get very nervous and as a result, it's a bad shot.

How do I imbibe the thing in mind that it's one pellet at a time which matters?
I had the same issue, in fact, every now and again I still let me nerves get the best of me and my sighitng quality.

I recommend reading up on how to train your eyesight (see Nygord's notes online for one) and apply the knowledge. Voila, a few weeks later the technical side of issue is gone.

Secondly, but more importantly, read a few books on sport's psychology - visualisation, mindfullness meditation all help you relax and stay consistent. Voila, this is where mastery in our sport actually comes from in my view.

Thirdly, apply the knowledge consistently. Be systematic, make plans, goals, take notes, track your results (not necessarily meaning scores).

Good luck!