Basic question from an AP neophyte . . .

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Pirsqard

Basic question from an AP neophyte . . .

Post by Pirsqard »

I am brand new to air pistol, in fact so new that I haven't yet received the Morini 162EI I recently purchased from Pilkington Competition. My questions are as follows (and know doubt the first of many more to follow):

The pistol is supplied with a "charging adaptor" for filling the air cylinder. I'm an avid scuba diver and have an extra tank I can use to charge the air cylinders. Obviously there is another adaptor between the scuba tank and the supplied "charging adaptor." Would someone be kind enough to tell me what is the adaptor in question? Perhaps even recommend a specific product?

Another question: is the charging adaptor that comes with the Morini universal among air guns in its application? In other words can a Morini charging adaptor be used to fill a Steyr and vice-a-versa? Or is each manufacturer's adaptor uniquely threaded to fit only their air cylinders?

Thank you in advance for any insight that can be provided.
jmdavis

Re: Basic question from an AP neophyte . . .

Post by jmdavis »

My adapter screws into the yoke valve on the tank There is no other part. You then screw your pistol's air cylinders to the adapter.

I don't know about the Morini cylinders. I have a Steyr. They may or may not be compatible.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

You can buy a K-Valve to DIN yoke adaptor from our hosts.

Half way down this page.

Morini and Steyr use different adaptors as, I believe, do most of the major manufacturers. I think though that all of the will fit in the DIN adaptor.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Yes, the fittings for Steyr and Morini are different, but both will fit the same yoke (at your dive shop). You'll probably want a manometer, since when you're down to about 1800 psi in your SCUBA tank you'll want to refill it. That way you'll get enough shots to easily finish a match.

If you compete at the Desert Midwinter here, we'll fill your tank for free (or your cylinders for that matter). That's coming up next month
jerber

Post by jerber »

I have a FWB p44 and the adapter screws in the DIN valve
Then the pistol tank screws into the adapter
The DIN valve is just a standard scuba tank valve
David M

Post by David M »

Be aware that two DIN adaptors exist.
One is 200 bar, the other 300 bar.
The 300 bar is longer in the thread.
The Morini uses the 200 bar adaptor.
Pirsqard

Post by Pirsqard »

David Levene wrote:You can buy a K-Valve to DIN yoke adaptor from our hosts.

Half way down this page.

Morini and Steyr use different adaptors as, I believe, do most of the major manufacturers. I think though that all of the will fit in the DIN adaptor.
Got it; looks like exactly what I need. Thank you.
Pirsqard

Post by Pirsqard »

jmdavis wrote:My adapter screws into the yoke valve on the tank There is no other part. You then screw your pistol's air cylinders to the adapter.

I don't know about the Morini cylinders. I have a Steyr. They may or may not be compatible.
It sounds like you bought a tank set-up for air guns. I have a tank set-up for scuba diving.
Pirsqard

Post by Pirsqard »

Rover wrote:Yes, the fittings for Steyr and Morini are different, but both will fit the same yoke (at your dive shop). You'll probably want a manometer, since when you're down to about 1800 psi in your SCUBA tank you'll want to refill it. That way you'll get enough shots to easily finish a match.

If you compete at the Desert Midwinter here, we'll fill your tank for free (or your cylinders for that matter). That's coming up next month
Hi,

Where would I get information for this event. Although it's unlikely I would be competitive, it sounds like it would be a great learning opportunity. Although from the small amount of research I've done, it sounds like the journey to becoming a competitive pistol shooter is no different than that of a Shoalin monk.

Thank you.
Rover

Post by Rover »

I don't have a match bulletin, but you'll find the times and dates here:

http://www.phoenixrodandgun.org/Calenda ... b_2016.htm

You can shoot the air pistol match at any time during the whole shebang. You could probably get in some warm-up practice, too. We're easy here.

You would definately be playing with some of the big boys.
dulcmr-man

Post by dulcmr-man »

Rover wrote:I don't have a match bulletin, but you'll find the times and dates here:

http://www.phoenixrodandgun.org/Calenda ... b_2016.htm

You can shoot the air pistol match at any time during the whole shebang. You could probably get in some warm-up practice, too. We're easy here.

You would definately be playing with some of the big boys.
The calendar shown at your link seems to indicate an international sectional on two consecutive Saturdays, February 6 and 13. Am I reading it correctly? If so, whom do I contact to sign up? I'd be travelling from SoCal so what's a decent place nearby to stay?

Thanks in advance,

Dennis
Palmdale, CA
Rover

Post by Rover »

Here's the motel info:

http://www.booking.com/district/us/phoe ... ExOkPKy1bQ

The range is at the end of 7th Ave at a dead-end.

The calendar is a little confusin because we spread out the match due to limited indoor positions, which are booked in advance.

Here's a different calendar page, but I'll try to get a match bulletin(s) posted here.

http://www.arizonapistol.com/drupal/cal ... th/2016-02

You could also contact Don "Stinkfinger" Plante at dpla@msn.com. He's the guy who sets up the matches, but not the one who posts them.
Pirsqard

Post by Pirsqard »

Rover wrote:Here's the motel info:

http://www.booking.com/district/us/phoe ... ExOkPKy1bQ

The range is at the end of 7th Ave at a dead-end.

The calendar is a little confusin because we spread out the match due to limited indoor positions, which are booked in advance.

Here's a different calendar page, but I'll try to get a match bulletin(s) posted here.

http://www.arizonapistol.com/drupal/cal ... th/2016-02

You could also contact Don "Stinkfinger" Plante at dpla@msn.com. He's the guy who sets up the matches, but not the one who posts them.
Thanks for the additional info Rover; I'll look into it and will be traveling from So Cal also.
Rover

Post by Rover »

PHOENIX ROD & GUN CLUB PISTOL DIVISION
ARIZONA DESERT MIDWINTER INTERNATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP, FEBRUARY 17, 18, 2016
LOCATION: Phoenix Rod & Gun Club Range – South end of 7th Avenue Phoenix, Arizona

ELIGIBILITY: Sanctioned tournaments require USA Shooting membership.

RULES: Current USA Shooting rules will govern.

ENTRIES: Will be limited to 72 competitors except RAPID FIRE (20 competitors) and AIR PISTOL 60

ENTRIES CLOSE: Individual match entries must be received no later than Monday preceding the opening of the tournament. Team match entries close at 8:00 am. the day the team matches are to be fired.

MAIL ENTRIES TO: Don Plante Phone E-Mail
1014 E. Constitution Dr., (480) 855-0002 donpla@msn.com
Gilbert, AZ 85296
CLASSIFICATION: Current USA shooting classification system will be used. Categories will be
Established if there are 5 or more competitors per category.

INTERNATIONAL FEES: Collegiate/Juniors
Registration Fee $ 10.00 $10.00
Air Pistol match $ 12.00 $8.00
Rapid Fire match $ 12.00 $8.00
Free Pistol match $ 12.00 $8.00
Standard pistol match $ 12.00 $8.00
Center Fire match $ 12.00 $8.00
Rapid Fire Team Match (Two Man ) $ 12.00 $8.00

AWARDS: Cash awards will be issued in accordance with the Posted Award Scheduled

PROGRAM OF EVENTS:

WEDNESDAY, THURSDAY, FRIDAY, SATURDAY, FEB. 17 ,18, 19, 2016
Free Pistol Wednesday, Feb 17, 2016 Start Time 8:30 AM
Standard Pistol Wednesday, Feb 17, 2016 Start Time 11:30 AM
Center Fire Pistol Wednesday, Feb.17, 2016 Start Time After lunch
Rapid Fire Pistol Wednesday, Feb. 17 After Center Fire
Air Pistol Wednesday, Thursday, Friday Refer to Sign-Up Sheets at Registration

THE RANGE WILL BE OPEN FOR TRAINING BEGINNING WEDNESDAY FEBRUARY 17, 2016 after the Centerfire Pistol Match.

OVERNIGHT CAMPING AVAILABLE TO COMPETITORS AND FAMILY Electrical Hook Only
$10.00 Per Day, Pay Range Facilitator Ben Anderson

Note : Don't walk Dogs into the High Power range Area at any time!