Newbie who is interested in 50m free pistol

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
subernie

Newbie who is interested in 50m free pistol

Post by subernie »

Hi everyone, just enter the world of the Olympic style shooting。 I practiced bullseye shooting on and off for about a year. Recently, I purchased a Pardini FPM free pistol and went down to the 25yard range few time a week. I only shot 5rd per target and the best group I have ever shot is about an inch. I knoe it's nothing but just want to know where am I stand right now and what practices are more important to a new shooter. Also, if anybody's from Pennsylvania, I'd like to know is there any competition held in this area? Thanks a lot!!
kle

Re: Newbie who is interested in 50m free pistol

Post by kle »

If you're near the Palmyra Sportsmen Association, they host 10m Air Pistol, 25yd Free Pistol, and 25yd Sport Pistol matches every year. http://www.palmyrasportsmens.com/NRA%20 ... Pistol.asp

Closer to where I live in Northern Virginia is Fairfax Rod & Gun Club in Manassas, VA, which hosts 10m Air Pistol and 50yd Free Pistol matches on the 2nd Saturday of each month (next match is this weekend). http://www.fxrgc.org/index.cfm?Section=16&PageNum=130

Twelfth Precinct in Harwood, MD hosts 10m Air Pistol and 25- or 50-yd Free Pistol matches on the 3rd Sunday of each month (next match is next weekend). http://www.twelfthprecinct.org/pistol.htm
renzo

Post by renzo »

subernie wrote:Hi everyone, just enter the world of the Olympic style shooting。

You'll have enough time to be sorry of your decision...................

I practiced bullseye shooting on and off for about a year. Recently, I purchased a Pardini FPM free pistol and went down to the 25yard range few time a week.

By now, you'll have probably discovered you're knee-deep in a world of s--t!!

I only shot 5rd per target and the best group I have ever shot is about an inch. I knoe it's nothing but just want to know where am I stand right now and what practices are more important to a new shooter.

Joking aside (hope you're a good-humored guy) your data could be seen both as encouraging (5 shots into an inch is a very good grouping at 25 yards) or vastly insufficient. You know, every one of us is entitled to a certain number of good shots or series, the big trouble trying to master FP is that there are 60 shots to be made!!! In time (and also by checking ISSF data) you'll find that competent shooters are capable of shooting half a stunning match, only to ruin it in the other half. Stamina, enduring concentration and mastering of nerves play an all-important factor. Sometimes you'll shoot your best series after early dumping the match, because you feel released from the responsability of achieving a certain score. Also, the pressure of a few good initial series can break you if your psychological preparation isn't there. So, mi advice is to quit taking so short a series as a standard, they are useless. I wouldn't consider anything under 30 shots as a guide, and I usually shot a full course (sometimes without a telescope and /or touching the sights, just to chech the overal grouping). I also shoot trying to call my shots. A high-right six due to anticipation and grip clenching that I diagnosed before finding the hole in the target is far more useful than a 10.3 that happened when I drifted into the black with the rear sights while dropping the front by sheer chance!!The only time score is important is at a match, and if you mentally keep the score while shooting you'll be affected, so remember how you shoot all those good shots and try to do the same as long as you can, 60 times if possible!!! Good luck and have my simpathy, there are very few of us left!!

Also, if anybody's from Pennsylvania, I'd like to know is there any competition held in this area? Thanks a lot!!
rockart

Post by rockart »

I have also been interested in buying the Pardini FPM. I would love to hear your comments on the gun itself. How do you like it. Any details would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
subernie

Post by subernie »

renzo wrote:
subernie wrote:Hi everyone, just enter the world of the Olympic style shooting。

You'll have enough time to be sorry of your decision...................

I practiced bullseye shooting on and off for about a year. Recently, I purchased a Pardini FPM free pistol and went down to the 25yard range few time a week.

By now, you'll have probably discovered you're knee-deep in a world of s--t!!

I only shot 5rd per target and the best group I have ever shot is about an inch. I knoe it's nothing but just want to know where am I stand right now and what practices are more important to a new shooter.

Joking aside (hope you're a good-humored guy) your data could be seen both as encouraging (5 shots into an inch is a very good grouping at 25 yards) or vastly insufficient. You know, every one of us is entitled to a certain number of good shots or series, the big trouble trying to master FP is that there are 60 shots to be made!!! In time (and also by checking ISSF data) you'll find that competent shooters are capable of shooting half a stunning match, only to ruin it in the other half. Stamina, enduring concentration and mastering of nerves play an all-important factor. Sometimes you'll shoot your best series after early dumping the match, because you feel released from the responsability of achieving a certain score. Also, the pressure of a few good initial series can break you if your psychological preparation isn't there. So, mi advice is to quit taking so short a series as a standard, they are useless. I wouldn't consider anything under 30 shots as a guide, and I usually shot a full course (sometimes without a telescope and /or touching the sights, just to chech the overal grouping). I also shoot trying to call my shots. A high-right six due to anticipation and grip clenching that I diagnosed before finding the hole in the target is far more useful than a 10.3 that happened when I drifted into the black with the rear sights while dropping the front by sheer chance!!The only time score is important is at a match, and if you mentally keep the score while shooting you'll be affected, so remember how you shoot all those good shots and try to do the same as long as you can, 60 times if possible!!! Good luck and have my simpathy, there are very few of us left!!

Also, if anybody's from Pennsylvania, I'd like to know is there any competition held in this area? Thanks a lot!!
Hi Renzo, thanks very much for your comments!! After read your comments, I went to the range this morning and did a full course of shooting, 60rds in one target, the result is awful!! The grouping is roughly 4 inches in 25 yards!! And after 60 shots, I was exhausted!!!

Still a long way to go, I guess, but I'm so into the game right now!!
Rover

Post by Rover »

You DO shoot air pistol, too, don't you?
renzo

Post by renzo »

subernie wrote:
Hi Renzo, thanks very much for your comments!! After read your comments, I went to the range this morning and did a full course of shooting, 60rds in one target, the result is awful!! The grouping is roughly 4 inches in 25 yards!! And after 60 shots, I was exhausted!!!

Still a long way to go, I guess, but I'm so into the game right now!!
You know, 4 inches at 25 yards is not awful, sepecially when you're just starting.

Imagine (it's not at all exactly geometrical) that you transpose those 4 inches into 8 inches at 50 yards, that's roughly 9 inches at 50 meters. That means that if your group was perfectly centered (another "if") you would have had a few sixes, and all the rest inside the black, and believe me, you'll love it!!!

I know International is not as common (by far) in the US than Bullseye, but aren't you able to shhot at 50 meters or, at least, 50 yards?

That will get you into the real proportions, and you'll a real feel of the magnitude of your position and range of wobble (we all wobble).

Also, you'll find that your real enemy are angular errors ( not parallel ones) and that they are far more visible at the long range, and you'll learn to keep the target slightly blurred and focus on the front sight.

As for myself, I can see clearly the black at 25 meters (when shooting CF) and it distracts me if I let it happen.