FAS 6004 vs Hammerli AP20

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
DonB

FAS 6004 vs Hammerli AP20

Post by DonB »

I have been shooting AP for about one year and currently have an IZH-46M. Current scores are around 540 with limited AP practice (<2-3 hours/week), and for what it's worth, 20 shot strings averaging 190. My plan is to "get serious" and start training and competing. I am looking for a second pistol to have as a back up or possibly a new primary. Budget is limited, yes Rover I know I can't buy points, and I'm debating between a FAS 6004 and the Hammerli AP20. My thought on AP20 is that in the long run a few points may be gained by saving energy by not pumping the SSP... Thoughts and recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Don
SamEEE

Re: FAS 6004 vs Hammerli AP20

Post by SamEEE »

I am going to skim over the notion that a shooter needs a backup pistol. Waste of resources in my view.
Actually: Matchguns MG-2 might be worth having two of.

In my view it is worth saving for a decent gun. You can pick up a CO2 or older generation PCP gun for the cost of an AP20.

FWB P30 would be my pick of the bunch. A little further up the market you might snag a deal on an old Morini 162E, or a Steyr LP-1.

Honourable mentions:

Walther CP1
Walther CP2
Walther CP3
Walther CPM1
FWB C25
FWB C20
FWB C10
FWB Model 2 - maybe.
Pardini K2s
Pardini K58
Image Image
kevinweiho

Post by kevinweiho »

I would not recommend the FAS 6004 (quality problems still persist) or the AP20 because both pistols are third tier guns.

If you're serious on making the leap, I would suggest waiting for a used first tier PCP that is within your budget.
Rover

Post by Rover »

I use an SSP AND a PCP. That "getting tired" thing is bogus. But, if you want a new toy for less bucks, I go with SamEEE.

Don't forget the Pardini K60.
GOVTMODEL

Post by GOVTMODEL »

DonB wrote: "...I know I can't buy points...",
Don
I think you can, and every one you buy is one fewer you have to shoot.

That said, IMHO you are better served saving for a first tier air pistol used rather than buying a new one that's not so good, particularly one that is not well supported. And even if the website says the FAS 6004 "...has won many International championships..." I don't recall them. Maybe I'm just forgetful.

There are a lot of Steyr shooters that are very, very satisfied with their purchase.

(note to David Levene- I realize that choosing a pistol is a very personal thing, and what works best for me may not work best for someone else.)
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

GOVTMODEL wrote: (note to David Levene- I realize that choosing a pistol is a very personal thing, and what works best for me may not work best for someone else.)
I agree with everything you said in your post, with one minor difference.

I don't think you can buy points, but you can buy equipment that makes it easier not to drop points. For most of us that amounts to the same thing.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Are saying then, that a PCP will outshoot a CO2 gun?
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Rover wrote:Are saying then, that a PCP will outshoot a CO2 gun?
A modern top range PCP pistol will probably be easier to shoot consistently well than a more old-fashioned CO2 gun. The propulsion gas is only a small part of the gun's qualities although, if you travel to matches, the availability of refills at the venue becomes a more important issue..
kevinweiho

Post by kevinweiho »

It's like saying why F1 cars use a paddle steering wheel instead of a clutch pedal? Because it is more consistent and does not wear you out. Every decimal point counts when you're playing with the big boys.
william

Post by william »

kevinweiho wrote:It's like saying why F1 cars use a paddle steering wheel instead of a clutch pedal? Because it is more consistent and does not wear you out. Every decimal point counts when you're playing with the big boys.
Or wondering whether Rover still hand-cranks his car.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Are you "playing" with the big boys or still "cranking" it like William?
Wynne G Oldman

Post by Wynne G Oldman »

A couple of months ago I bought an old Morini 162E with the interchangeable cylinder kit fitted, and sold my MP-46M. The Morini is a much nicer pistol to shoot, in my opinion, and the build quality is much better, but my scores haven't gone up. I think this shows what a good pistol the MP-46M is, for the money. The Morini cost me £470, so if you are patient, they do pop up at reasonable prices occasionally. If I were you, I'd keep hold of your MP-46M until that bargain that you just can't resist comes along.
Morini 162 EI
Anschutz 1913 Supermatch
DonB

Post by DonB »

Thank you for all the responses. I think I will wait for my budget to increase or a good deal....

Thanks again.
Don