Newb needs help

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Tusc

Newb needs help

Post by Tusc »

Greetings, new AP shooter here and this is my first post. I am a true AP "newb." Been availing myself of the Camp Perry, Ohio, CMP indoor range since September. Enjoying it immensely.

I hope to buy my first serious AP in the next week. Without a doubt, no matter what I buy, the gun will be far better than my skill set. At this early stage I have no brand preference.

Here is the issue that prompts me to evolve from forum lurker to tentative poster. My right wrist was broken playing football. Fearful of losing the season, I taped it tightly and played on. It fused awkwardly and now bends very little. Which leads me to the question...

Which manufacturer makes the most adjustable grip in terms of rake?

The Walther LP400 was suggested by a very helpful retailer. The Walther manual says there are 10 degrees of rake adjustment fore and aft. Is there one with greater range of adjustment?

I realize that modifying whatever I buy is likely to be essential, (another AP learning curve awaits) but wondered if I might save a few hours by starting with the most forgiving factory grip.

Thanks.
GOVTMODEL

Re: Newb needs help

Post by GOVTMODEL »

The Steyr LP10 grip is adjustable, but the manual doesn't quantify the degree of adjustment. The folks at pilkguns.com may have more detail.
Rover

Post by Rover »

It doesn't matter which you choose, you have to "fit" it anyway.

I'm sure many here just use the gun as it comes because they'll "get used to it."

Buy a used gun so you don't feel bad when you put the grinder to it.

Fit those grips!
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

GOVTMODEL wrote:The Steyr LP10 grip is adjustable, but the manual doesn't quantify the degree of adjustment. The folks at pilkguns.com may have more detail.
I don't have exact numbers, but based on the geometry, I suspect the Steyr adjustment is considerably more than 10 degrees. Whatever you end up with, if you find you need more or less tilt, you can get grips that will help.

In general, if you need a more vertical grip, I would avoid Pardinis. At least their standard pistol grips come with a very steep angle.

See: http://www.targettalk.org/viewtopic.php?t=19764
william

Post by william »

Rover wrote:It doesn't matter which you choose, you have to "fit" it anyway.

I'm sure many here just use the gun as it comes because they'll "get used to it."

Buy a used gun so you don't feel bad when you put the grinder to it.

Fit those grips!
You will probably end up fitting that grip, but you ought to shoot the pistol for some time before you do. If you start right in fitting, you'll for sure get yourself a very comfortable grip. But that isn't the object. The object is a secure, repeatable hold with unconscious sight alignment. Before you touch file, knife, Dremel to grip make sure you know what it is you're trying to do.

The late Don Nygord knew as much as anybody before or since about what it takes to make a good shot, including the proper relationship between hand and grip. Get a good understanding of what he wrote on the subject before you start down a wrong path. You'll still have plenty of trial and error, but at least you'll always be pointed in the right direction. Here's a link to his Nygord's Notes: http://www.cincinnatirevolverclub.net/nygord.html

As you'll discover in your pursuit of better shooting, nothing is ever quite as simple as Rover makes it out to be.
Rover

Post by Rover »

If you want cheap, here ya go:

http://www.targettalk.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=50435

The older, original style grip may be more in line with what you're looking for and also has a "recoil" setting for Bullseye practice. One of these (hard for some here to believe) is still highly competitive.
cloudswimmer

Post by cloudswimmer »

I'm nowhere near the expert of most here, but when I was shopping for my first 10m air pistol I was concerned about the rake too as I had a couple decades shooting bisley grips, so I ended up buying a Steyer LP10 because of its grip adjustability. Others had recommended shooting it like it came for awhile before making adjustments which I did, and I quickly became use to it like it was and never did feel the need to change anything on the pistol grip angle wise. Also Nygords notes was an immense help starting out. Have fun.
Last edited by cloudswimmer on Sun Nov 29, 2015 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
william

Post by william »

"One of these (hard for some here to believe) is still highly competitive."

Hey, Rover, which one? There are thousands of them out there. You wouldn't want poor Tusc to have to go through every one of them to find the one that's still competitive, would you?
Rover

Post by Rover »

The trick to finding one as well as shooting one is to "hold your mouth right."
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

Step 1 is to ignore Rover. He will immediately jump into any discussion and recommend anything other than a modern PCP pistol. If he had actually read the OP's concerns, and then taken a look at the grip angle on the pistol he recommended, he would realize that it is NOT likely to be suitable.

The OP doesn't specify what sort of angle he thinks he needs, but I'm guessing his wrist mobility is limited to a more vertical grip angle than what many European pistols use.

Yes, you can whittle & putty a grip, but starting with one that has the angle way off will require a lot of unnecessary time & energy to adjust.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Here's what some other guys thought, a while back.

http://www.targettalk.org/viewtopic.php ... ilit=FWB65

Whack and putty...ain't no thang!
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

Here's what is inside the 65:

Now, Rover, explain to me how you can straighten the grip angle up significantly with "whack & putty"?

Why don't you stop beating the same tired drum & READ THE GUY'S QUESTION?
Rover

Post by Rover »

Putty the lower front and upper rear.

Granted that probably won't work if he has small hands, but there are other guns out there. He can get a FAS 6004 for $388...about 1/8th the price of a new PCP set-up which might require major alterations too.
cloudswimmer

Post by cloudswimmer »

Tusc wrote:Greetings, new AP shooter here and this is my first post. I am a true AP "newb." Been availing myself of the Camp Perry, Ohio, CMP indoor range since September. Enjoying it immensely.

I hope to buy my first serious AP in the next week. Without a doubt, no matter what I buy, the gun will be far better than my skill set. At this early stage I have no brand preference.

Here is the issue that prompts me to evolve from forum lurker to tentative poster. My right wrist was broken playing football. Fearful of losing the season, I taped it tightly and played on. It fused awkwardly and now bends very little. Which leads me to the question...

Which manufacturer makes the most adjustable grip in terms of rake?

The Walther LP400 was suggested by a very helpful retailer. The Walther manual says there are 10 degrees of rake adjustment fore and aft. Is there one with greater range of adjustment?

I realize that modifying whatever I buy is likely to be essential, (another AP learning curve awaits) but wondered if I might save a few hours by starting with the most forgiving factory grip.

Thanks.
How about the Carbon LP400 listed here in the want ads yesterday, beautiful looking gun, if I hadn't just ordered a Morini from Scott I would have jumped on it at that price.
Tusc

Post by Tusc »

Thanks for the input. I have much to attempt, much to learn.

Found a few very interesting articles about grip adjustments and re-shaping. A tad daunting, not all the terminology is clear, but seems fairly intuitive in general.

It should be an entertaining journey. This is quite a sport.